Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ronconcep14

Wanna buy some goldfish?

If you live in southern California or planning on visiting, San Diego to be exact. I just found the pot of gold(fish) at the end of the rainbow. Its a place called Coast Gem USA. They are distributors but sell to the public. Incredible quality and selection without the crazy internet pricing, depending on the season and shipment received. Don't get me wrong, your going to pay for quality goldfish, but not hundreds of dollars for them. It's a family owned business that the owner and son operate. They are awesome guys that are willing to go that extra step to get you what you want. Just thought I share this place because I had a great experience and believe everyone deserves to enjoy the beauty of these fish without breaking the bank. Here is the Facebook link: https://m.facebook.com/coastgemusa?refid=13

Those goldfish are gorgeous :) You barely ever see fish like that in the UK where I live :(

I went there a couple months ago with a friend who was thinking about setting up a new goldfish tank. Their fish selection seemed okay to me (they did not have nearly as nice of fish in the tanks as they do in their facebook photos -- at least at the time I went), and I was not super impressed with their set up. Everything was running on what looked like one large system which meant the sick ones and healthy ones were in the same water, and some of the fish had anchor worms and red streaks on their tails. I would say they do a better job than many of the other stores in San Diego as far as goldfish go, but I would not buy anything there without a variety of meds on hand to deal with possible issues that may arise in QT. All of the fish are overseas imports. 

Note: I think they had only recently opened when I went in, so maybe they've improved since then. I just know that I wasn't comfortable buying anything there at that time. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I went there a couple months ago with a friend who was thinking about setting up a new goldfish tank. Their fish selection seemed okay to me (they did not have nearly as nice of fish in the tanks as they do in their facebook photos -- at least at the time I went), and I was not super impressed with their set up. Everything was running on what looked like one large system which meant the sick ones and healthy ones were in the same water, and some of the fish had anchor worms and red streaks on their tails. I would say they do a better job than many of the other stores in San Diego as far as goldfish go, but I would not buy anything there without a variety of meds on hand to deal with possible issues that may arise in QT. All of the fish are overseas imports. 

Note: I think they had only recently opened when I went in, so maybe they've improved since then. I just know that I wasn't comfortable buying anything there at that time. 

I recently was there over the weekend and do not know how long they've been in business. I recommended this place from what I saw at the time. The fish looked healthy and very active with a great selection. Some of the fish were in QT and not being sold just yet, but the ones displayed were frickin awesome. Don't get me wrong, you get the good with the bad, but I think the good out weighed the bad this time for me. They are a wholesaler which means most of the fish they keep will be sold quickly to retail stores and since they buy from different suppliers your not going to get the same quality and selection all the time. There are no perfect retailers in this business only supply and demand. Even with your big chain pet stores or LFS I would not buy from without a variety of meds on hand and QT.  When fish are sold on a larger scale they obviously harbor greater health problems that are not foreseen. Most varieties of goldfish are imported overseas and sometimes have a wide spectrum of issues even before they reach the consumer.

I'm glad you had a good experience. If I'm in the market for a goldfish in the future, maybe I'll give them a second chance. I just hope they have more fish that look like their FB photos if I drive all the way down there. They didn't even have butterflies when I went...  :P

I'm glad you had a good experience. If I'm in the market for a goldfish in the future, maybe I'll give them a second chance. I just hope they have more fish that look like their FB photos if I drive all the way down there. They didn't even have butterflies when I went...  :P

No doubt. Everyone deserves a second chance and you should definitely call, email, or FB before you go to check their stock. They're really good about answering questions in a timely manner. Now going by their photo timeline on FB, it does look like they just started stocking the better quality of goldfish this year. Geez, you'd think I have stock in their company.  Thanks for your post.