Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

What's in a food?

What makes gf food good? Like, how can you tell if it is high rnough quality to feed??

I look for protein content around 40% or more.

Good protein, few fillers if possible, and a healthy amount of vitamins. They should be omnivore foods, not 100% vegetarian, since goldfish are omnivores. It should be a sinking food. This is usually limited to a pellet or a gel. Flake foods don't do that well. Smaller size is better, so it's often recommended to a 1mm size.

Edited by ChelseaM

I actually cap my protein at about 45% for all but growing juveniles. I look for aquatic vegetation as nutrition - kelp, spirulina. I also prefer to see whole fish meal from an oily fish, not a lot of fillers like soy and corn. Some wheat product further down the list is okay for me, as it contains an amino acid my wenned fish benefit from.

Paradigm Herbivore has been absolutrly great here, and we also use ChingMix Flowerhorn pellets to round it out, along with Repashy Super Green and some NLS pellets. All of these foods qualify as quality diets, especially mixed together.

Edited by Arctic Mama

The first four ingredients should include no more than one grain/soy/other land plant product.  Desirable ingredients include fish meal, krill meal, algae, and other aquatic/marine organisms.

I look at the top ingredients like Sharon does. Ingredients are listed in descending order, so just like with dog food and human food, if the first ingredients listed are fillers, that's a dead giveaway that the food isn't the healthiest. I also look for micronutrients, such as vitamins (these will be farther down the list, since they're present in small amounts).