Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

There are 95 goldfish in this gallon of water.

Down another fry. 

Can't wait for more photos! Raising fry is so terribly exciting!  Any chance you can post a picture of your males as well? Love to see the potential daddies :)

Can't wait for more photos! Raising fry is so terribly exciting!  Any chance you can post a picture of your males as well? Love to see the potential daddies :)

Here's everyone together. Sencha (Mom) is in the middle. The potential daddies from left to right are Koicha (OrandaxTosakin), Gyokuro (Red Pompom Oranda) and Hojicha (Kirin Oranda). They were excited for food, so weren't cooperating.

6tag_140615-200547_zps2sh35mru.jpg

Edited by ChelseaM

36 fry left, 5 of those are very small runts. The rest are growing pretty well. :)

23 fry left. Culled today for a fungal issue as well as development problems. A few of the fry died from natural causes, some of which included sibling predation.

Edited by ChelseaM

23 fry left. Culled today for a fungal issue as well as development problems. A few of the fry died from natural causes, some of which included sibling predation.

23 fry is still quite a lot also any pics of them??

I haven't been updating a lot lately due to the fry battling a mystery fungal infection. At first I just tried clean water, but nothing sorted, so I started them on a treatment. Right now they are sitting in 0.05% salt and a full dose of Prazi.

There are 15 fry left, but I don't know how many will make it.

Edited by ChelseaM

Did you not meth blue the water? That's the absolute best in terms of preventative fungus inhibitor.

Edited by Arctic Mama

This started way after the egg stage, so I did not do Meth Blue. But I also do not make a practice of using it, since it's such a hazardous product. :(

Edited by ChelseaM

Hazardous? Not particularly, even the MSDS is pretty mild. If you haven't already, salt and meth blue should inhibit any fungal or advancing protozoan issues, though it might not be enough to resolve an advanced case. Unlike many other treatments it won't sterlilize the fry, which is more than I can say another acriflavin and other similar substances.

Heck, even for human use it is considered extremely safe except in order of magnitude-larger-than-prescribed doses:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_Blue

Edited by Arctic Mama

WWM has a good additional primer and gets into more detail about contraindications for plant life and such. Again. Pretty mild, but because of the way it acts upon cells it very predictably knocks back a filter. That doesn't mean it is harsh on the fish, however. It's just a function of the structure of the substance:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/methblueart.htm

Oh geez... you mean I have had it confused with Malachite Green this whole time?!

:thud

No really, I seriously did. For the past week. FML

Edited by ChelseaM

Yes. I have seen that before, you're not the only one. Malachite Green is a synthetic dye and quite toxic. It has uses, but they are very limited and like chemotherapy the issue is if you can poison the pathogen faster than the host!

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Malachite_Green

I'd use acriflavin before mal green. And it tends to sterilIze fish! But it rarely poisons them to death :thud

Edited by Arctic Mama

Is it a preventative or can I use it to kill the fungus after it's already on?

It should help inhibit fungus. To be honest, mal green will do a a better job on true saprolegna, but if you're not positive that's the issue I'd do meth blue and .3% salt, first. Go up the salt veery gradually, though, to be gentle on the babies.

I have Mal. Green even though I hate using it... but again I would rather not have to use it. Unfortunately the outbreak got bad right as I am in-between vacations and moving so I may have to go with it. :(

forget it... the Mal. Green also has formalin, and no expiration date on the bottle.

Edited again...

Stepfather told me he will take me to grab some MB tomorrow morning.

Edited by ChelseaM

Slight hijack - do you know if melafix contains acriflavin?  I don't see an ingredient list on the package.

No, API fungus cure does, though :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'll slowly up the salt every few hours and watch for upset.

Does MB play well with Prazi?

Yes.

Good. Thanks, Taryl. :)

I'm just sorry you lost so many to fungus. That stinks :(

Yeah. It sucks, but I still have all of my full-sized babies. I just want to keep my Sencha+Hojicha baby alive the most. I can tell who the father was because this baby has two button eyes and is pure white already.

Edited by ChelseaM

Aw sorry you are having such troubles! I hope that that last ones pull through for you!

Fingers crossed for your little ones!!!