Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

There are 95 goldfish in this gallon of water.

I love seeing their little tails develop! but yes, they get so much faster once they have them!

Well, I think I know who the father is. The only male chasing this morning was Koicha, my TosakinxOranda!

Edited by ChelseaM

Today we have 44. The cull was intentional. Culled for tails, development, and defects.

2611b2e8a98361982998119a3245986c.jpg4b699335ca520ea7ad84ba01f9b99b25.jpg81f2a4ca9b35b441b035748175ee65fb.jpg

Make that 43. I just scooped one out that died of SB complications. The poor baby's abdomen was so inflated that it broke his spine.

Watching with interest!

How much BBS are you hatching per day?

Good luck!

Watching with interest!

How much BBS are you hatching per day?

Good luck!

I am not feeding BBS at all. I have never fed BBS to a batch of fry, since I always raise them outdoors where there is plenty of stuff to nibble on. Instead, I have several different powdered foods I am rotating between in order to keep things interesting and provide a wide variety of nutrients. My mix so far includes Repashy Super Green powder, ShoImpact pellets that I have ground into a powder, Ken's Premium Bloodworm flake that I have ground into a powder, and New Life Spectrum Algae Gel powder. They also have loads of Water Lettuce to pick microorganisms from as well as the stray bug or two. When they are large enough (which looks like it will be soon) I will begin feeding betta-sized frozen bloodworms along with the assortment of powders. 

Thank you for the luck!

b9e5c7f9b9f830adb8619efe7e31d9e4.jpg43 today. I am seeing baby fish start to form from these little fishlets!

6332501f98e829ef938387fae71ed6a4.jpg25ad665d5858d5ad7d5c281e54e37d37.jpged19d5cf0d10855d7eefeadd45888155.jpg

I am sorry i have to say this, but your fry are behind in feeding/growth, at least i think so.

Below a vid of allmost 1 month worth of feeding BBS to my sakura oranda fry.

My fish are just fine, according to various sources as well as my own experience breeding in the past. They may be slightly slowed due to the water temperature (Usually around 65 degrees F or 18 degrees C), but other than that are developing at a healthy rate. They haven't hit a month old yet, though, so we'll see when that comes. They've still got a week or so if I remember right.

Edited by ChelseaM

I am sorry i have to say this, but your fry are behind in feeding/growth, at least i think so.

Below a vid of allmost 1 month worth of feeding BBS to my sakura oranda fry.

By the way, I just found a place here in the US where i can get silkworm eggs and larvae. Have you got any experience feeding these? I'm debating them, since they were something that was fed in the early history of goldfish.

Edited by ChelseaM

Allright, i cant measure them so i´m just estimating from the pictures.

Hope all will be fine, its allways fun to see those small fry ;)

Thanks for the hope. :)

We're down to 41 now. There were no bodies, so I am thinking a bug got them.

Down to an even 40. Found one dead when I went to siphon uneaten chopped FBW from their bin.

I just read through your whole thread, Chelsea.  Congrats on the remainder fry that you have.  They look so adorable.  The parents are gorgeous and will be looking forward to seeing these grow up.  It always amazes me the dedication of those who raise fry.  I did laugh of how you said you were impatient with their growth and you just want to see "goldfish" now.  haha  That remark brought me back to when I had my baby (human:)  )  and I couldn't wait for Taylor to walk, get out of diapers, her first birthday, ect...........the list can just go on and on.  Enjoy the "now" time of your fry.  They will grow fast enough just like my daughter did. :)  :teehee

Thank you. :heart I do kinda feel like a mother to them right now.

I bet you do. :)  

Koi people consider silkworms a deluxe food which is too rich to be a staple.  

You should enjoy this video:

I got a sample of Hikari Silkworm Selects at the show and the fish sure liked them.

Fat content is pure energy and growth for GF or koi during summer. Good video but different climate, different rules and growthrate/hibernation protocol.

A facinating hobby it is for sure ;)

Hinfin, these fish come indoors for the winter. They are housed in spring/summer conditions year-round. So there's zero hibernation period and next to no climate issues with me feeding a California-Summer diet. :)

Thank you for the video, Sharon. I was thinking of starting to hatch my own eggs and feed them as a growth-enhancer for the fry and a treat for the adults. Maybe I might after that video, once I head back to school. All of them will come with me, and live in the 127g until they can be sold.

Yes you should try and grow the fry out during winter, but to establish a bloodline for your region and climate will be interesting and rewarding. Just speaking out loud, no criticism intended.

I would love to, but don't have an outdoor space in winter at the moment. I know they will be hardy fish for transport, though. It would be neat to develop some cold-hardy Orandas.

Very good point, it may be crucial to establish a bloodline specifically bred in the climate you are in. Reminds me of why japanese GF Kai share info and fish in certain regions and work together to perfect 'their' variety.

But ok, that is completely off topic and i am discussing too much. ;)

Lost one in a capture-accident today. 39 fry. They love microworms.

Edited by ChelseaM

Still 39 fry. They've been on microworms for a bit now and I know they can see them to eat them. Thankfully, everyone is now big enough for hikari betta-sized frozen bloodworms. I should see a spurt soon, if I feed those daily.

Edited by ChelseaM