Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Best food combination for my tank, advice pls

Hi,

Now I have a little oranda, I want to make sure I am giving him the best food possible.  At the same time I don't want his wenn growth to be so big that is impedes his life in any way.  I also have a floaty little pearlscale pOdge to consider in the tank too.  So... should I alter my feeding in any way?  Should I mix in another food for the orandas benefit?  How much of that food will ensure he doesn't get a 'big head'.

At the moment I am feeding NLS Thera A+ 1mm pellets twice a day (morning and night) and a vegie snack at midday like peas, norri, cucumber, zucchini, or Algae gel, or I give them a pinch of pre soaked NutriDiet Chlorella Flakes (but not too often as they surface gulp more with this food). 

This is Smudge at the moment.  He is about 2 to 2.5inches long SL at the moment (not measured him properly yet, but he is 15g).

Noname%20right_zps6ljuer1o.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ree

Sounds like a good diet to me.

With Orandas, there's a genetic component to the wen, so there's a possibility that the wen will get large anyway.

It's also beneficial to worry more about the fish's health than whether it will grow a certain way. So feed for healthy fish, like you're doing.

I was going to ask something similar, if you don' mind me hijacking your thread. :)

I'm planning to make a batch of gel food as well as feed plenty of veggies. Peas, Nori, zucinni, but I also hear blood worms are a good choice. If so, should the worms be an ocassional treat, or a regular part of their diet? and if so, how often?

Also, should I pick up a good pellet food as well?

I only feed quality pellets. No flakes. Nothing but pellets. I use New Life Spectrum, Hikari Lionhead, Hikari Saki, and Sho Impact. I have some of the biggest fish on the forum so I don't think it's a problem feeding only high quality pellets.

Sounds like a good diet to me.

With Orandas, there's a genetic component to the wen, so there's a possibility that the wen will get large anyway.

It's also beneficial to worry more about the fish's health than whether it will grow a certain way. So feed for healthy fish, like you're doing.

OK Chelsea, Thanks so much!

I was going to ask something similar, if you don' mind me hijacking your thread. :)

I'm planning to make a batch of gel food as well as feed plenty of veggies. Peas, Nori, zucinni, but I also hear blood worms are a good choice. If so, should the worms be an ocassional treat, or a regular part of their diet? and if so, how often?

Also, should I pick up a good pellet food as well?

Phil, I usually feed any gel foods as an addition to their main pellet staple...  That's just me though.  Others feed a wholly gel food diet.  I think it depends a lot on your lifestyle, and also your fishes needs.

That being said I haven't been able to get the gel food consistency right yet... and so far the little darlings prefer the pellets to my attempts at cooking their dinner for them...

I would love to know about the worms too... only I can only source canned ones because of my remote location... they wont post frozen produce, understandably. So how often with the pellets should I feed blood worms?

Can I add another food question to Phil's too?  I saw on another thread that anchovies have the whole range of is it amino acids?, can quite remember.... Ill have to go check... so should I be adding them to my home made gel foods, and if so, which anchovies can I use?  Most I know of here are extremely salty or soaked in oil, or both...???

Found it  :happydance Ill pinch it directly from Mysterygirl.... Hope you don't mind :pease:  

"Anchovy Fish:     Highly consistent in quality and better than the traditional whitefish meal, anchovy provides ALL the essential amino acids and greater digestibility for Koi and pond fish."

Here is where I found the quote

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121678-progold-similar-fish-food/page-2

Bloodworms can be fed daily. They are one of the best things to feed a goldfish.

A good pellet should be top priority if you aren't feeding a balanced gel food.

The anchovy is an ingredient in the food we are discussing in that thread: ShoGold / ShoImpact. In my opinion it is a great quality pellet. If making your own food, though, bloodworm is perfect. There are two articles on raingarden.us that have to do with how perfect bloodworms are. My favorite is "Bloodworms and Lego Blocks."

Edited by ChelseaM

Bloodworms can be fed daily. They are one of the best things to feed a goldfish.

A good pellet should be top priority if you aren't feeding a balanced gel food.

The anchovy is an ingredient in the food we are discussing in that thread: ShoGold / ShoImpact. In my opinion it is a great quality pellet. If making your own food, though, bloodworm is perfect. There are two articles on raingarden.us that have to do with how perfect bloodworms are. My favorite is "Bloodworms and Lego Blocks."

Thanks Chelsea, I found it!  Ill have a read.  Thanks for your help! 

Thanks for the articles.

I'm guessing I should find anchovies that aren't packed with salt? :)

Goldies also love goldfish crisps. Just as a snack. Mine go nuts for them.

Hi CourtneyandThunder, 

Thanks for that!  What brand are the goldfish crisps?  I would like to check to see if they sell them in Australia. 

Also, just need to check, I have a floater.  Do any of your fish have floating issues?