Kokos Goldfish Forum
Phil B.

Whats your maintenance schedule?

Since I expect I'll be adding fish in the near future, I'll need to set up some sort of regular maintenance schedule. i.e. doing certain things like water changes on specific days of the week so I won't forget.  I'm curious what works for you guys.

I change 80% of my water every week. I add prime and a couple tablespoons of baking soda with each water change. I've also been adding about a teaspoon-ish of koi clay with each wc. I leave my goldfish in the tank while I change the water.

I have HOB filters that I clean out every 2-3 weeks but I'm not overly thorough about it because I don't want to destroy my cycle.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I'm very faithful about weekly wc's. The :goldfish: need it :D

I try to do a large water change every five or six days and I use a productivity website to help me keep straight which day I need to do my change. I try to do my water change a little more frequently than once a week so I have a bit of wiggle room if something unexpected happens or I don't feel well on water change day.

Maintenance schedules depend largely on stocking levels and filtration.

Having said that, I religiously do WCs every Friday.  I change about 90% of the water and clean one filter each week.  I have 2 filters on the tank so each one gets cleaned twice a month.  I wipe down the front of the tank and any plants that show any brown algae.  I also wipe down the glass tops with vinegar each week cuz my water is fairly hard and I can't stand the white scum that builds up.  :rofl3  But that's just me . . . 

Maintenance schedules depend largely on stocking levels and filtration.

Having said that, I religiously do WCs every Friday.  I change about 90% of the water and clean one filter each week.  I have 2 filters on the tank so each one gets cleaned twice a month.  I wipe down the front of the tank and any plants that show any brown algae.  I also wipe down the glass tops with vinegar each week cuz my water is fairly hard and I can't stand the white scum that builds up.  :rofl3  But that's just me . . .

We call her fussy britches :teehee

:bat:

:rofl3  :pp

I change 70-90% of the water each week, move the driftwood around to stir up anything that has got caught under it, scrub the glass and I aim to clean my canisters once a month although I have to admit that doesn't always happen :peeka:

I feel like most might say my maintenance is a little rigorous (or at least it feels that way to me). I don't mind it so much as it has become my relaxing time. But, definitely make a schedule that is easy to remember, unless you use an app etc, and stick to it. Don't skip a day. Its all about making it a good habit.

On Saturday I age the water and I add my baking soda and Seachem Replenish.                                                                                    

Monday I do a 50% water change. First, I scrub the front wall. I prune all the excess plants. Then, I wave my hand in the water to get all the snail poo from behind the dense plants. Next, I vacuum all the poo up and remove 50% of the water. Finally, I refill with the aged water and add the ferts. 

Every fourth water change (monthly) I change 100% of the water and dump the snail poo water from the canister filters. I always like to take a q-tip to the impeller on the canister filter and power heads to remove all the muck. 

Best thing to do though is make a schedule that you know you'll have time for. Before I used to do maintenance without a schedule. Water changes were not as regular and I found it to be more like work. Maybe because I hadn't made a routine that I could improve upon. When I first started it took me a long time +3 hrs for me to finish the maintenance. But with the schedule, it became more regular and therefore I became faster at it. Now I know what to expect and it take me about an hour on normal days with minimal pruning. 

I need to note that the baking soda is a pH stabilizer, so that's why people add it. :)

My schedule, when the fish are indoors, is as follows:

Weekly WCs around 90%. I generally go as low as possible with the water, down to the fish's spines. No fish are removed during the WCs. I add Seachem Prime as a water conditioner, and koi clay to clear the water. Baking Soda only when necessary. Water changes are done with a Python No-Spill water changer. 

Filters are cleaned as-needed, which varies from every 2 weeks to once a month depending on if my fish decide to spawn or poop a lot. :rofl

I keep bare bottom tanks, so I wipe down the glass as often as needed, but generally at least 2x/week. It's mainly for aesthetic purposes. 

When the fish are outdoors in their small pond, I do it this way:

Weekly 50% WCs. Prime and Koi Clay are added, even though the Prime isn't needed since I have well water. 

If it is going to rain heavily, I will drain 30% of the water from the pond and let the rain fill it the rest of the way back up again. I like to think of these as mini WCs. :teehee This is when I also add a second dose of Koi Clay to replenish any minerals. My water is hard, and the rain water is super soft in comparison.

I don't wipe down the pond at all. My filter maintenance is also minimal. I check every time I do a WC and maintain as-needed. :)

I drip in fresh water at a rate of 10% of the pond volume per day with an overflow that draws off excess water from the bottom.  Depending on the location of the pond, the overflow goes to the ground or into buckets that I empty into my irrigation barrel.

I empty the filters every week or two, and clean the pump and prefilter as needed  This constitutes another 10% change.  Most of my ponds are above ground, so if the bottom gets yucky I can siphon off the debris, which usually results in another 10% water change.

I have no schedule. Once the water clarity goes down I know its time to change.

I change 60-80% of the water weekly in my main tank, using my Python to vacuum the gravel all over the tank, pruning plants, removing plant debris, etc. I clean the entire filter and its media about once every six weeks (rinsing and squeezing out the sponges, wiping down the canister interior hardware, and rinsing the biomedia in tank water).

For my fry tank (which uses only a sponge filter), I change 50% daily. For QT tanks (in which I use no filter; only an airstone), I change 90% daily.

Well I got Guppies... But I change 50-60% of there water once a week and clean the filter once a week..... :)

Every weekend is a water change, 70% I usually do. Every two weeks is a good cleaning vacuuming the gravel, taking all the decorations out, scrubbing the sides of the tank.  I change more water depending how much I feed and stuff like that. I have 4 filters on my tanks so I clean two every week then the other two the next week but basically just dump the water out. Buts its easy to remember the weekend. Goldfish produce a lot of waste so they need big water changes.

Sunday is when I do maintenance on my fish tank: 80% water change, clean out filters (2) each time, wipe down front glass when needed, and vacuum gravel.

I use baking soda to buffer the kh/ph, so once a month on maintenance day I do two 80% water changes back to back to help remove any build up of baking soda.

I do mine on Sundays, too.  I only do a 70% wc because my fish are pretty big and I don't like to remove them.  My stocking level is low and I have live plants which seems to keep the nitrate levels in check.  I clean my HOB sponges and biomedia once a month and replace the fine particle pad every other week.  My BN Plecos keep the glass, wood and plants clean for me   :wub:

Edited by Jared

Maintenance schedule: healthy obsession  

When I'm just starting an environment or changing it I can't test things enough. I do frequent API tests if I'm at all concerned about parameters and stability.  I doubt the readings of all 3 of my pH meters. :doh11: Sigh. I envision peace of mind as an elusive fish keeping goal. 

If you take the time to document it you'll have a history of  your fish's growth and your tank's evolution. It is an enjoyable geeky side of the hobby for me.  

On the 150 gallon with my goldfish and my pond with one goldfish.  I remove all but an inch or so of the water in my 50 gallon pond.  No filter except for plants and the fact that the water is green.  I refill it with water from the 150. 

I do a 50 percent water change weekly on the 150 and every couple months I do a water change were I only leave enough water to cover the fish.  I clean the filters when they seem to be running to slow and only one.  I wait at least two weeks between cleaning the second one.

For my 20 gallon tropical tank I only do top offs.  Only filter this tank has now is plants and bubble stones. When I can't stand it no more I do a small water change.   Same with my 5 gallon betta tank and my planted bowl with a male endler in it.

My 60 gets about a  20 percent water change weekly.

The reef tank is a whole different ballgame. lol

The 75 gallon with my oscars get a weekly huge water change.  I leave just enough to cover the fish.  Their tank is a tad small for them is why.

Specking of water changes mine are all due tomorrow.

I find doing it now relaxing and like to re-decorate sometimes.

Edited by CourtneyandThunder