Kokos Goldfish Forum
ldm001

13 year old goldfish - red streaks and bloating

Hi,

I have 2 thirteen year old goldfish. One of the goldfish in the tank is having a bloating issue. Here is the info you would want:

pH - 8

KH - 78 or so

Ammonia - 0

Ammonia in tap - 0

Nitrate - 0

Nitrate in tap - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrite in tap - 0

Substrate - pea gravel (white)

Filters - 2 (one canister Fluval 406, one hang on back aquaclear 75)

Tank Mates - 2, 13 year old common goldfish are the only fish ever in this tank

Food - peas

Treatments in tank - Prime, Baking Powder to control KH, H202 for oxygenation

Temp - about 74 degrees

Goldfish 1 has red streaks in tail but is otherwise eating and pooping.

The goldfish I am really concerned about is goldfish 2. Goldfish 2 has red streaks in bottom fins, bloating in belly and now belly is starting to get hints of red on belly. I have not seen any significant excretion of feces in at least a week. I did see one small piece 2 days ago. Was eating 1/2 of a pea for a few days but now is not eating.

I have been performing 20% water changes daily for about 5 days now. I have been working with another site but wanted a second opinion on what to do. The water is just finally under control but I have previously had Ammonia and pH issues. The other site helped me balance the water so it wasn't swaying as much which was greatly helpful. Fish were previously living in 1/2 tsp/gallon of salt since I got them. Salt is now removed from tank.

I have tried a garlic treatment for one day and they also recommended a dandelion treatment.

Need quick help.. this is my baby. I am heartbroken.

Video:

Edited by ldm001

Can we get a shot from a. Birds eye view of the fish? I can not tell if there is pine coming or not from the video. :hug

Also would you be able to post the tap water pH please? Is the kH 78ppm? And how many gallons is the tank?

Edited by Mikey

Sorry,

75 gallons

No pineconing of the scales. Yes, KH is about 78 or so... pH of tap is 7.6

IMG_2930_1.jpg

Edited by ldm001

:hi

Towards the end of the video, it looks like there is a bump on the fish's right side. Is there and if so how long has it been there?

Can you get a pic of the red spots in the belly?

Do you have any medications (antibiotics in particular)? The red at the base of the fins along with red on the belly and the bloating make me think this is an internal bacterial infection.

Yes there is a bump there. It has been there for several years now actually.

I have heard of melafix but I dont have any here right now. I can probably get it tomorrow.

I have Maracyn on hand (I think just enough to do one treatment).

I have Maracyn 2 on hand but not enough for this tank.

I have some Tetracycline on hand but again, not enough for this tank.

I have also been giving him eye droppers of oil to help lubricate the tracks but no good so far.

what do you mean giving him eye droppers of oil? Like feeding him actual oil?

Yes. He hasn't gone to the bathroom and peas are not working.

Have you tried Epsom salt?  You could add Epsom to your tank at 1 tsp per 5 gallons (dissolve it before you add it) or else try adding a grain or two of it to a pea.  Sometimes this helps with constipation.  I would fast for several days and also add Epsom to the water if it was me.

Melafix isn't an antibiotic and I don't think will help in this case at all.

I would look for metronidazole (sold by Seachem as MetroPlex).  It will not be found at any big chain stores but only at locally owned pet stores (or online).  I would also look for triple sulfa.

I am afraid this will take too long. Maracyn is not something that could work here?

Let me know if you can't find it. I'm only in New Jersey so shipping shouldn't take more than two days to get to you.

How old is the maracyn? I'll bet it's expired. If not you could try it but you'll want to use something to cover Gram negative bacteria also to get full spectrum coverage. Tetracycline is overused and has too much resistance.

Also if you are going to treat I'd treat in a QT tank do as to not affect your cycle.

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

My maracyn in new actually. I do see your point on gram negative thought

I have never used tetracycline in my tank. Pretty much only maracyn products. I think that is erythromycin.

Maracyn is erythromycin. Maracyn 2 is tetracycline. Although it seems like they might have changed that. :hmm. To a newer form of tetracycline.

I was able to find the triple sulfa (well 3 packages at least) but i think this only treats for gram negative bacteria. Is this going to cover me for what I need. Some sites say it is for broad spectrum and some say negative... thoughts?

Triple sulfa is mostly affective against G- bacteria and some G+.  I would suggest you use both erythromycin and triple sulfa to get full coverage.  We don't have any one antibiotic in the fish world that covers both well.  I prefer using metronidazole for G+ coverage as it also has some antiparasitic properties . . . 

Do metrodiazol and triple sulfa go well together?

Someone on another site thinks that the bloating, streaking and heavy breathing could be because the fish has renal/kidney failure due to tank salting over 13 years. She thinks that the meds will give the kidneys something else to filter and that it will not necessarily help but hurt. What do you guys think of that? I was going to put the triple sulfa in today while I work on finding the g+ meds.

How does she explain the redness in the fins and on the stomach?

How much salt did you add at each WC?

Please ask the person who said the salt caused renal failure for a reference to support that statement.  We do not argue with statements made on other forums, particularly when we have no idea of the background or knowledge of that person.  We will, however, read a reference and comment on that.

Would you please copy and fill out the full D/D form?  What you wrote does not include some really important information, such as the tank size,  your routine water change schedule, how long you have had the fish etc.

Is your fish still not eating?  

I have been talking to them now for over a week but the methods are not improving the fish which is why I think I need to try something else.

All of my conversation with them can be found below:

http://www.goldfish-emergency.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3059&pid=49768#post_49768

In my first few posts I have given all of the information on the form. I have copied it below for your quick reference:

Hi,

I have 2 thirteen year old goldfish. One of the goldfish in the tank is having a bloating issue. Here is the info you would want:

pH - 8

pH in tap - 7.6

KH - 78 or so

Ammonia - 0

Ammonia in tap - 0

Nitrate - 0

Nitrate in tap - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrite in tap - 0

Substrate - pea gravel (white)

Filters - 2 (one canister Fluval 406, one hang on back aquaclear 75)

Tank Mates - 2 total, 13 year old common goldfish are the only 2 fish ever in this tank

Food - peas or soaked sinking pelets. Just started feeding gel repashy solient green to goldfish 2 (the not sick goldfish)

Treatments in tank - Prime, Baking Powder to control KH, H202 for oxygenation

Temp - about 74 degrees

Tank Size - 75 gal

Typical Water Change Schedule - 1 time per week/50%, more recently 20% daily.

Goldfish 1 is not eating and is not interested in eating. Belly still swollen and slightly red. No pineconing.

Edited by ldm001

Someone on another site thinks that the bloating, streaking and heavy breathing could be because the fish has renal/kidney failure due to tank salting over 13 years. She thinks that the meds will give the kidneys something else to filter and that it will not necessarily help but hurt. What do you guys think of that? I was going to put the triple sulfa in today while I work on finding the g+ meds.

I would also like to chime in and say that I don't think it's productive if we go down the line of "he said, she said" or "this forum said this, while you said that." I don't think it helps the fish in the end.

It's like getting opinions of doctors. In the end, you will have to pick one and go with it, and hope for the best of all outcomes. I don't know what would happen if you follow whichever doctor when I get a split in opinions, but I do know that if I try to follow disagreeing opinions, disaster ensues.

Having said all that, congrats on your 13 year old goldfish. That is a huge accomplishment, and I salute you. Best wishes, and I hope the fish recovers quickly and fully!

Alex