Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
SweetMamaKaty

After 35 years a golden oldie turns up his fins...

5 posts in this topic

Yes, I saw this a few years ago! It makes you wonder if it was genetics or husbandry that contributing to their possible runtiness and longer lifespan. I'm assuming mostly husbandry. But they were impressive goldfish and definitely well loved by their owner. I can't imagine how it might feel for an animal who has had a companion for three decades to be alone for the first time.

Oops, I didn't even notice the date and thought it was current. :blush:

I'm a skeptic and have to wonder why 35 year old fish are so small. I have 1 year old fish that big.

Yes both the small size and longevity had the same cause  -- underfeeding in early life.  I remember two instructions for goldfish care when I was a kid.  Change the water in the bowl every day and feed just a little pinch of food once a day.  We were warned, "The major cause of goldfish death is overfeeding!"  Most people slacked off on the water change after a few weeks, but the bowl was cycled by then.  

In a wide variety of animals studied (including fish) underfeeding in early life increases life span, and all of these super old goldfish are small.   The little bit of food also reduced waste production to a level that could be handled by an unfiltered container.