QandD

Best suppliers?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of you might share where you have bought your lovely plants. My current plants have come from either PetCo or DFS's LiveAquaria division, and I've had good experiences with the latter's delivery/packaging. However, they don't seem to have much of a selection compared to the kinds of plants I've seen here (like vals, which I think are super pretty, money wort, or Creeping Charlie, etc). I don't have a car so the PetCo thing is generally out, and there is even less of a selection (and the quality is VERY hit or miss). I have not been able to find plants like duckweed anywhere, and am skeptical of eBay/Amazon sellers without vetting. I haven't really kept elodea/anarachis with a lot of success--not sure what I was doing wrong there, but I did used to kill a ton of plants in the past with my terrible gravel substrate and lack of proper lighting/fertilizers. So.... I guess that's an option? I don't like how it loses a lot of leaves. 

I currently have low to medium lighting (T5-HO 24" lamp that is I think at 7,000K and a supplemental Finnex LED that I use mostly to see my fish better... I know that a 10,000K lamp would light them up better but I want the plants to be healthy, etc; the tank has about a 16-18" water depth). I also use Flourish Comprehensive and Excel. The tank has a sand substrate in which I plant Seachem root tabs. I am afraid of things like compressed CO2 and my tank is only 29 gallons, so if I were to go there I'd want to wait until I can afford a big tank. My current plants have been doing much better, accordingly, other than my wisteria (the fish like to kill it) and dwarf sagittaria, which just looks mowed down and sad. Anubias, java fern, and some kind of broad-leaf sword are all doing OK. 

So anyway, TL;DR: where do you buy your plants? I don't have a lot of money, so bang-for-buck would be preferable. 

Substratesource.com is good. I've always been happy with their anubias, swords, and marimo moss. They are not the cheapest, but you may catch one of their sales.

I buy almost all of my plants locally at a shop that boasts the "largest selection in town" requiring them to carry a nursery license...so that doesn't really help you :(  Have you checked out any of the aquarium plant seller reviews in the review section?  There are a few ebay sellers that have been given some pretty good reviews and still currently have stock.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/136-online-vendor-reviews/

I bought all my plants from AquariumPlants.com. I find this place to be cheaper and have better quality plants than I can get anywhere around me. I ordered over $100 in plants so I was a little nervous but the reviews on there site were right. Everything came alive but considering that I choose to do two day shipping I did have to clip a few dead leaves but nothing severe. It seemed to me that they also gave extra. I ordered an anubias and crypt that were so large I had the opportunity to split both into two plants. I didn't even clean the plants before I put them in (bad on my part) so I did get some travelers, ramshorn and trumpet snails, which I didn't mind. What shocked me is that I didn't really get any traveling algae like I do when I buy from the local stores.Tank's been set up since November and everything is thriving. I can't even keep up with the growth. I will be buying from them for my next project.

Thanks everyone!

Oh, just FYI re: Planted Aquariums Central, I just saw this notice on their website: 

Please Note:
Due to a Major Family Emergency Planted Aquariums Central is closed. I run my business out of my home and I don't have any employees who can take over while I am gone. I am so sorry about this and wish I didn't have to close but have no choice. I have no set date when I will reopen but I will certainly post a date as soon as I have one.  I am hoping within a few weeks.
Thank you for understanding,

Heather
Edited by QandD

Good catch. I didn't look on the site, just linked it.

I actually have bought a ton online but this guy off eBay had the best priced, largest and they were all the most healthy plants that I have bought from anywhere. The ludwiga was so tall it came already to the top of my tank. Jdaquatics13

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jdaquatics13?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Edited by Sieta