Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

ProGold similar fish food

How do you do THAT??  Don't you have to get abios from a vet?

Our country, thankfully, has fairly loose regulations on OTC aquatic antibiotics. It's not difficult to get powdered meds and make gel food with them.

I'm intrigued by Sho Impact because it sounds like it is very similar to a food that seems to be so well regarded, but my fish are still pretty small and the packaging say the pellets are 2 mm. Do you think that would be a problem? I haven't tried a pellet even near that size with them yet.

Guys if a pellet is to big, get a mortal and pestle and kinda rough pound them... I do this for the Guppies :)

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-White-Marble-Mortar-Pestle/dp/B000BUB58K/ref=lp_16439881_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1434991159&sr=1-1

How do you do THAT??  Don't you have to get abios from a vet?

You can get them from pet stores and online. Seachem Metroplex and Kanaplex are antibiotics. :)

Guys if a pellet is to big, get a mortal and pestle and kinda rough pound them... I do this for the Guppies :)

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-White-Marble-Mortar-Pestle/dp/B000BUB58K/ref=lp_16439881_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1434991159&sr=1-1

I do this as well. I have a designated mortar just for fish food. :)

Awesome idea! Now I'm definitely going to give Sho Impact a try with my next fish food purchace. :D

I just wish it were in smaller containers. I don't mind spending the money--I just don't like the waste. I have one 4" goldfish--the food would go bad before she had eaten 1/10th of it!

Might someone buy some and send it out to others in Ziplocs? We could pay via PayPal.

Or I could buy it and send baggies out to others with few small fish. Is anyone interested?

Paradigm is my dry staple as well. I like Herbivore the best, especially with its ingredients and nutritional profile - not too protein heavy. Graze has grown on my crew. They go for Paradigm faster than Repashy Super Green, which I find impressive :)

Does the Paradigm food sink? I got some small Hikari pellets but they float! So annoyed about losing pro gold!

ProGold expires too, so you would have the same predicament of ordering too much food.

Well, I'm sure it's good for a few years.

Chelsea,

I was looking for the sho impact food and found some on ebay; however, the pellet looks like a round pellet rather than a longer pellet like progold.  Where did you order your 2 mm size pellets from?

Chelsea,

I was looking for the sho impact food and found some on ebay; however, the pellet looks like a round pellet rather than a longer pellet like progold.  Where did you order your 2 mm size pellets from?

Amazon :) They look exactly like ProGold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CJRBM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Well, I'm sure it's good for a few years.

It has an expiration date on the bag. I doubt much if any will be good after this year, since he retired and quit making them in October 2014.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119049-goldfish-connection-going-out-of-business/

Edited by ChelseaM

UGH I am SO LATE to the game...but I went to buy ProGold today and its allll gone :( I am so so so very sad....I used BuffitUP, ProGold, MM, JumpStart...everything from Rick for years....(and I cannot believe I missed the sale!)...if I hadn't procrastinated so much and restocked up on my goods....

I'm running out of BuffitUp, and am on my last specks of ProGold...what is everyone using to replace it?

The only recommondation I have seen so far is the Total Koi Sho Inc here...does anyone else have any recommondations...I know I know that everyone recommends Repashy and gel foods...but I am unsure I realllyyyy want to to pursue that route...

(Edit)

Sorry, I saw Chelsea recommonds the following..

(1) ShoGold Impact

(2) ShoGold

(3) New Life Spectrum Thera A+

Anything else? Pros and Cons? or Preferences for any of these?

Edited by jfg5018

For pellets, I feed NLS Thera-A, Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish and Omega One. Personally, I like NLS Thera-A the best - it's packed with nutritious ingredients (especially near the top of the list - ingredients are listed in descending order), and has much fewer fillers than many other foods.

I also love Repashy Soilent Green. What are your concerns about gel food? I like it because it's moist, nutrient-packed, easy to prepare and even a moderate-sized bag lasts a long time (you only need a small amount - 1 part powder to 4 parts water, if I remember correctly). I mix it, heat it up, pour it in Tupperware, stick it in the fridge and tear off chunks at feeding time. The fish go nuts for it! :D

I say ShoImpact, but haven't tried the plain ShoGold yet. Sorry if that was unclear.

NLS thera+a 1mm, Repashy Soilent or Super Green coupled with Frozen Bloodworms, and NLS AlgaeGel with Frozen Bloodworms are all other staples I have fed, but so far I love ShoImpact the best. Please do add Frozen Bloodworms to the diet if you want a super healthy fish. Steve on RainGarden.us has an article or two I like for illustration purposes. My favorite is Bloodworms and Lego Blocks.

As far as Buff it Up, just use normal Baking Soda. There is an article somewhere on the dosage...

Edited by ChelseaM

I'm very content right now with the NLS Thera-A.  No weird discoloration of the white parts of my fish, which can be an issue with some foods.  I do miss Pro-Gold, but the NLS has won me over.  Love the pellet size for my juvie pearlscales, too.

I just fed my two large fish Sho Impact for the first time today.  Chelsea is right, it looks, behaves and smells just Pro Gold.  The pellets are a bit too large for my little guys, so I will continue to feed them a NLS/Lionhead mix.   Anyway, the big fish gobbled it up without protest.  I will get back to you later this week with my observations :)

Edited by Jared

I think you'll like it, Jared. My guys have had not much else since I got the canister, and they look bright, active, healthy, and happy. It's wonderful to see them behaving like Clementine did on ProGold when I started feeding her that.

I think you'll like it, Jared. My guys have had not much else since I got the canister, and they look bright, active, healthy, and happy. It's wonderful to see them behaving like Clementine did on ProGold when I started feeding her that.

Do you find your tank to be messier as it does crumble like Pro Gold?

I haven't found it to be messy at all, but I also didn't have that with ProGold because I was very careful with how much I fed. But that's a positive with the higher-quality foods: You don't have to feed as much for the fish to get enough food.

Mikado and Maruko seem to like the Sho Impact food and haven't been at all floaty :)