Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

ProGold similar fish food

I was tempted to try it. Really hurting for a good pellet for my guys. The Thera+A is nice, but ProGold would be better.

Here's the ingredient list for Sho Impact, which is their fancy goldfish formula. I am iffy on the wheats and glutens. http://www.shokoi.com/ingredients.htm

Edited by ChelseaM

I was reading my Fancy Goldfish book again tonight and I came across mention of Show Gold sinking pellets.  I believe it is similar to Pro Gold and seems to still be on the market:

http://www.koigarden.com/Sho-Gold-Fish-Food-sc-113.html

That looks like the exact same stuff it was in the beginning Jared.... :thumbs:

I will try it once I need food again.  I can't spend any mor money on the Goldfish this month.  I have been very naughty  :peeka

I will try it once I need food again.  I can't spend any mor money on the Goldfish this month.  I have been very naughty  :peeka

you naughty :yikes:teehee

I'm telling you, for quality ingredients the paradigm rocks. And it's not messy. No wheat, no soy, no industrial byproducts or fillers.

;)

I was reading my Fancy Goldfish book again tonight and I came across mention of Show Gold sinking pellets. I believe it is similar to Pro Gold and seems to still be on the market:

The ProGold, Koko?

I was reading my Fancy Goldfish book again tonight and I came across mention of Show Gold sinking pellets. I believe it is similar to Pro Gold and seems to still be on the market:

The ProGold, Koko?

:thumbup2:

I decided to try it, and ordered some. Gonna keep a close eye on how the fish do, since the ingredients aren't my favorite.

I decided to try it, and ordered some. Gonna keep a close eye on how the fish do, since the ingredients aren't my favorite.

Hi Chelsea - I feel the same way.

I don't think the sho-gold has much in common ingredient-wise with the last ProGold pellets that I purchased.

They state that ProGold contains Krill, Fish, Shrimp, Wheat, Spirulina and Alfalfa. 

ShoGold contains fish meal, wheat and soy and alfalfa. There are no krill or shrimp in it.

Anchovy Fish:     Highly consistent in quality and better than the traditional whitefish meal, anchovy provides ALL the essential amino acids and greater digestibility for Koi and pond fish. 

If they were using whole anchovy meal, they would state it like Repashy does. This is probably post-anchovy production leftovers.

Whole Wheat:    This fine-ground pure "meat" of the wheat is an excellent source of carbohydrates which serve as "fueling "foods for your Koi and other Pond fish.

While wheat germ is a popular additive to goldfish food, wheat flour however is an ingredient used as filler. I would actually avoid it in my homemade foods.

Soy Meal:            Highly nourishing source of vegetable protein and essential amino acids which provides a fine source of energy.  Research has shown Soybean meal to be an OUSTANDING plant protein source for Koi and pond fish.   

Personally I prefer to use organic Edamame, membranes removed and mushed into baby food.

Alfalfa:  Superior source of carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and protein. Also serves to enhance pigmentation and external color. 

So this is the main common denominator with the ProGold ingredients.

Wheat Germ:      The embryo of the wheat seed, rich in vitamins, especially Vitamin # and Linoleic acid.  Linoleic acid is essential in animal nutrition.

Great ingredient. I add this to my gel-food too.

Spirulina:             A high-nutrient alga, Spirulina Platensis is quickly digested and can be fed at quite low temperatures.  It also acts as a "color" food which strengthens and "fixes" the colored areas of your Koi and other pond fish.

Great ingredient. I add this to my gel-food too.

Gluten Protein    A highly digestible and valuable plant protein.

Heh, that must be why grocery stores have “gluten free” sections now.

Di-Cal:   Di-calcium phosphate.  The best source of calcium and phosphorous for your fish.  Calcium is needed in much larger quantities than other minerals for the formation and maintenance of bone.  Phosphorous is needed for the all-important task of metabolizing protein, calcium and glucose (sugar).  Without it, your fish would exhibit weight loss, abnormal growth and anemia.

Vitamin FD:         Complete source of vitamins for fish health, vitality, energy and resistance to disease.  Vitamins facilitate the chemical processes that take placd within the tissue cells of fish, and a lack of them results in a large number of ailments and general lack of health.  Included are vitamins: A,C,D,E,K,B1,B2,B6,B12. Choline, Niacin, Biotin and Folic Acid.

Mineral Mix:       All the trace minerals that your Koi and pond fish require,  Minerals are needed for rigidity in muscle and sound bone structure.

I’d like to know exactly what they use.

Fish Oil: The primary source of fat and essential fatty acids needed for vitality in cell membrane structure and the formation of the insulating layer of fat between the muscle and skin of Koi and other fish.  Fat serves your pond fish well as it retains body heat, serves as a shock absorber and is the source of nutrient reserves which tide them over the cold seasons.  SHO KOI products contain marine fish oil to provide Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.

Great ingredient. I add this to my gel-food too. They don’t add this to the Sho-Gold however.

Vitamin C: (Stabilized)      One of the most important vitamins for Koi and pond fish health, and needed in an additional measure.  It's functions:   Immunity booster, resistance to disease, formation of bone, skin and other connective tissue, wound healing, fights bacterial infection, strengthens walls of capillaries (tiny blood vessels).

Choline:               A vitamin of the B-Complex found in lecithin.   Choline is essential in the metabolism of fat, and in Koi, goldfish, comets and other colorful fish, serves additionally to create rich and vibrant colors.

Edited by mysterygirl

They do not say "Anchovy Meal." Instead, they say "Anchovy fish." While they do compare it to a meal, I would think this means whole fish and not a meal. 

I generally tend to avoid the wheat, but then again it is a main ingredient in progold. 

As far as "gluten free" goes, there really isn't an issue with digesting it in normal human beings. Unless you have an issue like an allergy (celiac), it is fine to digest and not much to worry about. :)

Here are the real ingredients for the Sho Gold, since before I just linked the ingredients list I found: Anchovy Fish,Whole Wheat, Soy Meal, Alfalfa, Wheat Germ, Spirulina, Gluten Protein, Hydrolyzed Protein Meal, Di-Cal, Vitamin FD, Mineral Mix, Fish Oil, Vitamin C (Stabilized), Choline,and OPTIMÛN.

Edited by ChelseaM

The Hydrolyzed Protein Meal is the only thing I dont like and I dont think Progold had it. Thats another forum of MSG :o

The Hydrolyzed Protein Meal is the only thing I dont like and I dont think Progold had it. Thats another forum of MSG :o

Fishy MSG... they likely could have used Garlic if it were only for the flavor! :rofl

But really, the hydrolyzed proteins are just broken down so that they no longer are recognized as an allergen to the animal or person. This means that we don't have to worry about the animal not being able to break down the protein. In fact, since it is already broken down via the hydrolysis process, it will be digested much easier. Sure, it contains lots of glutamate, but it isn't quite the same as MSG and is much safer, although I know that MSG intolerant people can't have it either.

Edited by ChelseaM

I expect a full review out of this once you've tried it. No leaving us hanging! :rofl

Yep! I will. This food has big shoes to fill!

Sho Impact got here safe and sound. It's a nice sized jug!

f6fb7b9848e4055884e59fe554ba5f0f.jpg

9a6ff84d487cd34a1e4ead66778832ba.jpg

Here's the ingredient list:

31e30397832a228842422a370d85d634.jpg

It contains copper, so people with snails should be forewarned.

So the fish have had their first two feedings of the food. Here's my initial impression:

• It looks and smells exactly like ProGold. Exactly the same. I got so much nostalgia opening the jug that it was a little funny. Anyone used to like the way a new bag of progold smelled?
  • It seems to react to water in the same way, puffing up and crumbling a bit.
  • The fish adore it, and were on it the moment it hit the water both times. They don't even get this excited for Thera+A or the Green Repashy gels, and the only food that comes close in the excitement rating seems to be FBW. That's always a plus. 

I'm going to be feeding about a tablespoon per day to the four of my fish, broken up into a few feedings, and stop all other foods, and we'll see how it goes.

So the fish have had their first two feedings of the food. Here's my initial impression:

• It looks and smells exactly like ProGold. Exactly the same. I got so much nostalgia opening the jug that it was a little funny. Anyone used to like the way a new bag of progold smelled?
  • It seems to react to water in the same way, puffing up and crumbling a bit.
  • The fish adore it, and were on it the moment it hit the water both times. They don't even get this excited for Thera+A or the Green Repashy gels, and the only food that comes close in the excitement rating seems to be FBW. That's always a plus. 

I'm going to be feeding about a tablespoon per day to the four of my fish, broken up into a few feedings, and stop all other foods, and we'll see how it goes.

Please post back if you notice any floatiness issues. When I added this into the mix my fish started doing front flips. I ordered more of other types of food and mixed it all in, lowering the ratio of this food, and they stopped flipping. (Yes I made the mistake of dumping all the types of food into one container)

I will let you know. So far everyone has been fine, and I have one fish that's float-prone.

Today marks day 5 of the fish eating the ShoImpact food. They have developed even darker color, are more active, and are conditioning for breeding really well. I am starting to see the pectorals of my males swell a little and stars are starting to appear. This food is a hit so far!

:nana I'm glad they like it :)

Hey--so what happened to Pro-Gold anyway?? I went to order more and the site is there but all items are marked sold. I have looked through this thread, but the Shogold seems to be only in a large container. I only have one GF now and she's only 4" so I need a smaller amount(and a small pellet). Suggestions? Hikari??

Edited by pawsplus

Hey--so what happened to Pro-Gold anyway?? I went to order more and the site is there but all items are marked sold. I have looked through this thread, but the Shogold seems to be only in a large container. I only have one GF now and she's only 4" so I need a smaller amount(and a small pellet). Suggestions? Hikari??

Rick retired, so there is no more Goldfish Connection. This means no ProGold, no MetroMeds or MediGold either. 

I would go with New Life Spectrum Thera+A 1mm pellets. Easy to find at pet stores and online in small containers if you are only looking for a little bit. However, my guys are all doing well on the ShoImpact and the container will last a long time, so I don't mind buying the large bottle.The pellets of ShoImpact are the same size as ProGold.

Edited by ChelseaM

Yikes--what do we do instead of metro-meds?