Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Goldie

What is the optimal KH and GH?

I'm getting conflicting information. Can anyone tell me what the optimal dH for KH and GH are? 

The reason I'm asking is because my tap water's KH is 3 dH (53.7 ppm) and the GH is 6 dH (107.4 ppm). From what I've read so far, I know the KH and GH values are too low. 

When I put together my tank I made a layered substrate of dirt sprinkled with crushed coral and capped with aragonite sand. I figured this would be enough to boost the GH and KH to certain degree and stabilize. Of course when I do water changes this process happens again. 

So yesterday I did a water change and 24 hours after I measured the KH at 7 dH (125.3 ppm) and the GH at 8 dH (143.2 ppm). Seems like the crushed coral and aragonite sand are doing there work. But a few questions:

1. Do I still need to tinker with the water to raise the KH and GH or are they in there optimal range? and,

2. Since I'm not adding any buffers or replenishing the minerals with lost with the water change, is this too much time for the KH and GH values to not be in there optimal range?

I also have ample amounts of SeaChem Replenish and baking soda. 

You want both of them to be at least 100.

Is your pH stable with your current setup?

I don't think you need to worry about the drop in KH and Gh as long as your pH is stable.

BTW the crushed coral will lose its effectiveness after 4-6 months. I'm not sure about the sand. :idont

I didn't know that about the coral. Thanks for the info.

I don't really know if the pH is stable. I would assume so since the fish act normal throughout the day. Assumption are usually not always right. I'm off tomorrow so should I periodically check the pH throughout the day? How often?

BTW the crushed coral will lose its effectiveness after 4-6 months. I'm not sure about the sand. :idont

Aragonite sand will keep working indefinitely. After a long period of time (we're talking years), you'll notice that the volume has decreased some and you'll want to add more. But it dissolves super slowly. I used it to boost water hardness for Figure 8 puffers. Worked great!

If I added water directly from the tap would the KH be too low for too long? I'm worried that there might be a swing when I'm doing a water change. It took 24hours for the KH and GH to be in the right range. 

The pH of the tap is 7.4

The pH of the tank right now (after water change 24 hours ago) is 8.0

How big of a WC do you typically do?  

50% once a week.

Aragonite sand will keep working indefinitely. After a long period of time (we're talking years), you'll notice that the volume has decreased some and you'll want to add more. But it dissolves super slowly. I used it to boost water hardness for Figure 8 puffers. Worked great!
Hi! Could you tell me if you use the aragonite sand as bottom of your tank or put it in the filter? I'd like to use it as filter media. Thanks! Edited by begemi

Just check the pH of your tap and tank water before you change your water.  As long as these do not greatly differ, you have no problem.