• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 26.4c
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 600 Litres, almost a year
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 3 Canisters, for total of 5000LPH
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every Week - 70-90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 Days ago, 95%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 11, 5 are only 1 inch total length, the others are between 2-7 inches approx body length
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A, 2-3 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The 5 tiny ones, they came from my fry tank where they have been healthy for the past 5 months
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They have had 2 weeks of 0.3% salt and 29c water for ich, as well as Prazi Treatment, doing 7 day rounds. They just started their fourth round
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed Fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting Normal

This literally has happened overnight...I didn't even notice it this morning, it has happened VERY Quickly. The thing is when my plecos died two weeks ago, they were fine one day and then the next their fins were the same as this and they died right after I found them. My Plecos were in QT when this happened, and had been for a week, I didn't use the same equipment on their tank as my main tank

I've moved Chico to a 10g QT until I know what else to do

TaUtDT2.jpg

q4JXzKC.jpg

Chico is the ONLY fish in the tank who this has happened to.

OH Mandy, that is terrible... Hopefully someone can help really soon.  :hug

Thanks Ree :heart: I feel like I've had nothing but problems with my fish this year! Whenever I think they are over something, something else happens.

I've had some help from Helen and have done a salt dip at 3% for 5 minutes. She stayed upright the whole 5 minutes and is now swimming around in the QT

Thanks Ree :heart: I feel like I've had nothing but problems with my fish this year! Whenever I think they are over something, something else happens.

I've had some help from Helen and have done a salt dip at 3% for 5 minutes. She stayed upright the whole 5 minutes and is now swimming around in the QT

Hopefully there wont be much more that can go wrong for you now.  Its good she handled the salt dip so well... and you did too!  Its good also that she is behaving normally.  There is lots of hope there.  I can understand you being scared though after your plecos.  I would be too! 

Here's a hug for you... :hug and one for Chico! :hug

Hopefully there wont be much more that can go wrong for you now.  Its good she handled the salt dip so well... and you did too!  Its good also that she is behaving normally.  There is lots of hope there.  I can understand you being scared though after your plecos.  I would be too! 

Here's a hug for you... :hug and one for Chico! :hug

Thanks so much Ree :heart: It's been really frustrating. I'm really glad she handled the salt dip like a pro :heart

Oh my gosh!!! Poor Chico! I hope this gets fixed soon :hug

Oh no! I hope Chico feels better soon.

That is some amazing colors on that fish! Hope it gets well!

Poor Chico!  Sending healing thoughts!

* Any new fish added to the tank? The 5 tiny ones, they came from my fry tank where they have been healthy for the past 5 months

How long have the babies been in the tank?  Have they received the treatments you listed below?

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They have had 2 weeks of 0.3% salt and 29c water for ich, as well as Prazi Treatment, doing 7 day rounds. They just started their fourth round

Did you have fish with ich?  Or was this associated with the prazi treatment?

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed Fins
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting Normal

This literally has happened overnight...I didn't even notice it this morning, it has happened VERY Quickly. The thing is when my plecos died two weeks ago, they were fine one day and then the next their fins were the same as this and they died right after I found them. My Plecos were in QT when this happened, and had been for a week, I didn't use the same equipment on their tank as my main tank

Good. Have you carefully examined all of the fish to make sure they have no symptoms?

* Any new fish added to the tank? The 5 tiny ones, they came from my fry tank where they have been healthy for the past 5 months

How long have the babies been in the tank?  Have they received the treatments you listed below? 

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They have had 2 weeks of 0.3% salt and 29c water for ich, as well as Prazi Treatment, doing 7 day rounds. They just started their fourth round

Did you have fish with ich?  Or was this associated with the prazi treatment?

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed Fins

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting Normal

Good. Have you carefully examined all of the fish to make sure they have no symptoms?

They have been in for only a couple of days. They have had 3 rounds of Prazi and the ich treatment too

Yes I had fish with Ich, all spots have been gone for over 2 weeks now

Yes I examined all the others and they are all fine :)

How frustrating!  I didn't see when the babies were added?  How long ago was that? 

I just have to say though, your fish has incredible markings.  Lovely!

How frustrating!  I didn't see when the babies were added?  How long ago was that? 

I just have to say though, your fish has incredible markings.  Lovely!

Only a couple of days ago, with the water change.

May Chico's tail heal quickly once treatment is suggested to you.  Hopefully just frequent w/c with salt will do the trick.   He's gorgeous.  I'm glad all your other fish seem to be fine.

Edited by 4prettyfish

He's beautiful, but what random shredding! I hope Chico feels better soon!

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have reported this and await suggestions from the mod team.  I think you should move the babies (who are more susceptible to infections) to another tank for a while.  Have you ever done a salt dip?

I have reported this and await suggestions from the mod team.  I think you should move the babies (who are more susceptible to infections) to another tank for a while.  Have you ever done a salt dip?

She did a 3% salt dip for 5 minutes . . . . 

Other than the salt dip the only other possible thing i would do in waterborne antibiotics.  Do you have any already or have access to them? :idont

The salt dip may be enough.  Since the fish handled it so well, I would do another in a day or two.  

Has the fraying progressed any in the last 12 hours?  

I have reported this and await suggestions from the mod team. I think you should move the babies (who are more susceptible to infections) to another tank for a while. Have you ever done a salt dip?

She did a 3% salt dip for 5 minutes . . . .

Other than the salt dip the only other possible thing i would do in waterborne antibiotics. Do you have any already or have access to them? :idont

The salt dip may be enough. Since the fish handled it so well, I would do another in a day or two.

Has the fraying progressed any in the last 12 hours?

It doesn't seem to have progressed.

I have tri sulfa, yellow powder and one 200mg metro tablet. I think i have something else too but will need to check when i get home from work. I can also get kanaplex

Just got home from work and I've noticed some very small tears on Honey and Tigers fins. They are the kind of tears that I sometimes see and don't think much of, just assume they bumped on driftwood of someone nipped them, but considering how Chico is I thought I'd mention them.

I'm considering doing salt dips on all my guys, but I don't have enough Tubs for them all to have a different recovery place, if anyone has any ideas on that. Also on how to transfer my comet Tiger to and from salt as he is extremely hard to handle with my hands

I remember seeing something like this a few years ago on the forum, but for the life of me, cannot remember what it was or how they treated it. Very scary!!! You are in good hands though with the mod team on here :):heart

I remember seeing something like this a few years ago on the forum, but for the life of me, cannot remember what it was or how they treated it. Very scary!!! You are in good hands though with the mod team on here :):heart

Thanks :heart: I am really quite frustrated, it's been on thing after another this year!

Just one thing that I thought of that I thought could maybe be relevant? Ever since I got Tiny, she has had problems with her fins looking like they were rotting and getting white stuff on them, we never worked out what it was but a few hours in a 1% salt solution knocked it out, until recently I noticed her fins getting tattered again. I did send fin samples to Helen at the time when Tiny had all the white stuff on her fins and the rotting look, but nothing was found apart from flukes.

That must have been a shock to see that happen so fast Mandy.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovering for that beauty.

That must have been a shock to see that happen so fast Mandy.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovering for that beauty.

It sure was a shock! I freaked out quite a bit :(

Ok everywhere, I've done another salt dip on Chico. Her tail definitely looks worse now, but I've been assured it would look worse before it got better with the dead stuff falling off

Here is a photo of Chico from tonight

10FOOmo.jpg

I also took photos of my other guys tails, as best as I could since my camera battery is almost dead (Only the big guys, not the fry since the fry are showing nothing at all) You can see little tears in most of their tails.

Below - Cali, she often gets little tears like the one you can see, I've always assumed they were from Tiger chasing her

Fgd9Vm3.jpg

Below - Honey, She often gets tears as well, but there is a bigger more rounded one today

ZeLrxgD.jpg

kqjk9ZO.jpg

Below - Luka - Haven't seen tears in him before but he has always had a funky looking tail

Jp5XMRc.jpg

Below - Tiger - His tail is so long it's not unsual to see tears in it either

McFINL4.jpg

Below - Tiny - She has had problems with her fins for months, they just look all wavy kind of at the edges now

z7wTkX1.jpg

Below - Abraham - Again he has had a weird, wavy, kinky tail for a long time now. Sorry I couldn't get a better photo of it

ynqVVmV.jpg

guO5r3q.jpg

Tonight the ends of Chicos tail are white, still frayed. But I think it's on its way to getting better? Sorry I couldn't get a picture at the moment.

She has had her third salt dip, once again handled it with no problems.