Kokos Goldfish Forum
MT28

advice on getting a new fish

Hello,

I know stocking can be a sort of sensitive topic and want to get an opinion: I have one 8-9" tl comet in a 50" long 55 gallon tank by himself. He seems to have plenty of room and enjoy the swimming space, but I often worry (and I'm not sure if it's just me anthropomorphising) that he's bored and would like a companion. Every time I see a community tank with a couple goldfish swimming together, I think "my poor goldfish is all alone--am I being cruel?" So I'm considering getting a second comet (probably a sarasa around the same size as my current comet, Kaji) as his companion.

I've read a lot of different threads about tank sizes for comets ranging from "you can keep 6 comets in a 55" to "no single-tailed pond fish should ever go in an aquarium of any size." I know that the official Koko's recommendation is 15-20 gal per fish whether single-tailed or fancy but I'm still a little unsure about what's right for a fish Kaji's size.

Of course if I did get another fish, I would quarantine for a month, upgrade filtration (I've been eyeing a 525gph canister to use in addition to the two HOBs I currently have), and of course upgrade the tank if/when the two fish outgrew the tank. I'm actually planning to move in 6 months and was thinking that if the 55 is not enough room, I could set up a new tank in my new place and sell the one I have here.

So, my question is, would it be a good idea to get another fish in the 55 or is this a recipe for disaster? Is it better for Kaji to have a friend or does he need the space to himself in order to really thrive? I appreciate any advice you Koko's verterans can give!

Thanks!

Anne

I'm not a veteran, but besides my old fish's terror upon meeting a new one, she already seems much calmer and happier to have a friend. But I can't assess your stocking situation. Two cents!

QandD: I was actually a bit worried reading your initial post and after your update it makes me want to get a second fish even more (especially since I have plenty of time to do quarantine this summer). Thanks for your kind two cents!

Koko's has several good links about stocking and goldfish care. There is even one in my post.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Unless this fish has a short tail for a comet, or is still very young, I consider him small to average size.   I would get him a friend, which doesn't have to be the same size.  

I once got a very large 2 year old shubunkin who had been an only fish in a 300 gallon pond for most of her life.  I was worried about how she would react to a pond with other fish.  She did not like her 100 gallon quarantine tank.  When I put her in the pond she acted like the happiest fish you had ever seen. 

Thanks everyone for the input-- made my day!

I got Kaji about 1.5 years ago as a 1/2" baby at a fair, so I'd think he still has a fair bit of growth left in him, but I'm perfectly happy to upgrade should he outgrow the tank, so I guess that means I have a green light! It looks like I'll be going oranda comet shopping next week--just so happens that there's a breeder selling comets about 45min away from me. :)

I agree it should be fine. I'd be hard pressed to drive 1.5 hours for a 13 cent fish though

I got Kaji about 1.5 years ago as a 1/2" baby at a fair, so I'd think he still has a fair bit of growth left in him, but I'm perfectly happy to upgrade should he outgrow the tank, so I guess that means I have a green light! It looks like I'll be going oranda comet shopping next week--just so happens that there's a breeder selling comets about 45min away from me. :)

What's an oranda comet?

What's an oranda comet?

Lol, I meant sarasa comet--reading too many threads on orandas! Would be an interesting hybrid though, no?

@ DieselPower: I've already pumped hundred of dollars into Kaji and he was a 1/2" feeder won from a fair, and to be fair (no pun intended), I believe these pond-raised 6-8" sarasa comets go for about $5 a piece. I'd rather go pick out a special fish myself that I looks healthy and vibes with me than have a random one shipped or support Petsmart by picking one out from the tank of death--I guess that's just me though. 

Yes, he probably still has a few inches of body growth.  He's still fine in this aquarium.

I'd get him a friend :)

Great, thanks everyone! I think I will get a new fish then soon and post an update when I do!

I had a 45 gallon long tank that I had a larger common goldfish in and added a much smaller shubunkin goldfish and they had no troubles at all...so you don't have to worry if they aren't exactly the same size.  They followed each other everywhere.  I think goldfish like company...I would definitely get your fish a friend.  Make sure and post photos of the new fish :) and have fun choosing.  Here is a photo of my orange common (Elmo) in her 45 gallon long and you can see his friend Sparky at the front of the tank straight out from the all orange plant.  Sparky is a shubunkin with a red head...can you see her?:  http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_2696_zpssy7iv0qi.jpg.

Here is a pic of them together when Sparky was a bit bigger...best buddies:  http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3422_zps8jbsgykn.jpg

I wanted to also add that I heard somewhere on this board that if you are adding a new fish... to move the plants around in the tank and that can help make it so both fish feel like it is a new space and spend time learning about the 'new' area rather than concentrating on the new fish.  It sounds kind of strange...but I think it really works :).

@Kayla: aww Elmo and Sparky are adorable together! And thanks for the advice! I'm taking a weeklong trip next week so will have to wait until after to get a new fish, and then there's the whole quarantine process, so I have a good bit of time to read up on introducing new fish. As you might have noticed, I'm really excited!

I'm a novice, but I would give him a tank mate too. Can't wait for pictures and have fun during the process! :)