Kokos Goldfish Forum
Mackenzie2193

Pearl scale lost eye?!?! How to treat?

I wouldn't feed him either seeing he's in such a small container until you can get something bigger tomorrow.

Can he move around in it?  I think I would have probably put him in one of your bigger plastic containers that are bigger than what you had your betta in.

Ow! Your poor goldfish! Good news on the roomie and bass ;)

I wouldn't feed him either seeing he's in such a small container until you can get something bigger tomorrow.

Can he move around in it? I think I would have probably put him in one of your bigger plastic containers that are bigger than what you had your betta in.

He's pretty small (1.5 inch including tail)and it's a 2.5 gal or 25 gal rubber maid. It's one of the aqueon 2.5 betta bow tanks. It has a filter, he seems pretty content for the time being, I have not fed him in there but he was fed in the 40 gal which is when I noticed the missing eyeball. They eat when I get home every day.

Can he move around in it? I think I would have probably put him in one of your bigger plastic containers that are bigger than what you had your betta in.

He's pretty small (1.5 inch including tail)and it's a 2.5 gal or 25 gal rubber maid. It's one of the aqueon 2.5 betta bow tanks. It has a filter, he seems pretty content for the time being, I have not fed him in there but he was fed in the 40 gal which is when I noticed the missing eyeball. They eat when I get home every day.

That's good that there is a filter on there but I'd still do a w/c in the morning.  (just what I'd do at least)   

That's good that there is a filter on there but I'd still do a w/c in the morning. (just what I'd do at least)

I just did one as I'm getting ready for bed and DH said he'd do one before he leaves for work as well, I leave at 5am so I'll do one then and DH will at 10 before he leaves. And I'll be home by 230 with everything and have him set up in a bigger area. :)

Will you explain this?   When you said you had 25 gallon Rubbermaid containers, we expressed approval, so why did you decide to use the little container?  A filter does not make a too-small container OK.  

A perfectly healthy fish, fed very lightly and receiving a 100% water change daily, could do OK in this little container.  That kind of care allowed some goldfish to survive for years in a bowl.   However, an injured fish needs lots of very clean water.

I don't mean to scold, I just don't understand.

The small tank was available immediately were as I needed to clean one of the containers before I could put him in it, also I could not find my other filter. His tank mates were also picking on him and I wanted to separate him quickly as to not add additional damage. I know the smaller tank isn't ok, he will be out of it as soon as I get home in a few hours.

Sorry to hear what happened to your fish. I hope you will be able to heal him quickly. 

OK.  Thanks for the information.

So sorry to hear about your fish.  The QT and salt and recommended meds will help.  Once s/he's healed, you will be surprised at how well s/he can do.  I have a chocolate/silver oranda who arrived at the LFS with only one eye--the other was just an empty socket, he was such a sweetie that I brought him home and he just thrives...Good luck!

So on furan 2 and triple sulfa what exactly am I looking for? They have melafix and Pimafix etc..

What do u mean what are you looking for?

I can't find furan 2 or triple sulfa anywhere around here so I will have to order, would it be better to get the seachem metroplex if I have to order?

You will need MetroPlex AND Furan 2 OR triple sulfa.  So you will need 2 meds . . .

Ok. So seachem metroplex and triple sulfa have been ordered. And chubbs is in his qt tank with 0.1% salt. Also have results for tap.

*Nitrate level 0ppm

*nitrite level 0ppm

*ph level 7.0

How's he acting?  :idont  Is he interested in food?  

I haven't tried feeding yet, but he is swimming around checking things out. No bottom sitting or fin clamping, just bumping into the walls on his bad side on occasion. He's not as active as before this incident but I feel that was too be expected. I will try feeding now.

So he eats when he does see it but he's not coming up and begging like he did before (even yesterday after his eye was missing) he eats when he sees it but he doesn't seem overly excited about it..

Also he seems to be having a hard time targeting where the food is compared to his mouth... He chases after it and misses and kinda gives up until a pellet drifts by.. So far he's got 4/7 pellets.

It'll take some time.  He's trying to eat.  That's a good sign.  :D

I just feel so bad for him. He seems so depressed. All his buddies are gone and he's missing his sight.. Poor guy... but hopefully he'll get used to it. I might put the shubunkin and comet outside in the trough and get him a slower friend when he heals. Maybe another pearl.. :)

Update on Chubbs. He's doing really well:) daily 100% water changes at .1% salt and we haven't had any changes in behavior except getting more active. No signs of infection. Fingers crossed it all stays this good!

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Um guys. Chubbs has had a set back. Came in this morning to do his water change and his mouth is stuck open. Acting normal , swimming fine, haven't fed as he hasn't pooped in a day, and he can't close his mouth..

Edit: Pictures- tried to upload video but it failed. 9b1ce33286f26d5caeee9619801a8fb6.jpg

a5ec2fdf794b1f7ea97fc965873ba5a7.jpg

88c64131db7626923e381dbe276923e4.jpg

Edited by Mackenzie2193