Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Luna

Oranda Fry - May 2015 Spawn

Hello all!

I thought I would finally get around to documenting the spawn I am trying to raise at the moment. They hatched on May 05, 2015. There were only roughly 60 fertilized, so it was a rather small spawn. 

These are the parents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAXahHfogY

Video of the fry - May 22 2015 (17 days since hatch). There are roughly only 35-40 fry left since the initial spawn. I have culled ones with obvious defects, and three or so have perished on their own. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNmyCpqOmkg

yDoxCr6.jpg?1

Z2492pX.jpg?1

Edited by Luna

The Mommy and Daddy are beautiful.  

Your fry are adorable.  You are going to have a bunch of beauties just like their parents as they age. :heart

Beautiful parents. Love the fat full bellies on the fry.

Congratulations!!!!!

Today is officially one month since their hatch date! I have heavily culled down to 15 that I plan to raise and keep. I mailed 16 to a friend, and then culled the rest. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqziPF13bhc

HzhK9H7.jpg?1

Edited by Luna

What are you feeding? If still feeding just BBS you should expand, at least they will be needing alot of energy at this point.

Looking good though!

What are you feeding? If still feeding just BBS you should expand, at least they will be needing alot of energy at this point.

Looking good though!

Hi Hinfin, 

I have been mainly feeding just frozen bbs. However, I would like to transition them to something else as they are eating too much bbs now. I go through a cell pack ($11 worth) every 5 days now. I may start adding bloodworms and repashy into their diet. I am trying to be careful to not underfeed them, but also to not gorge them so they grow too rapidly. 

Edited by Luna

Oh they are soooo cute, you are so lucky to have a breeding pair. Very cute, thanks for posting it.

Hi Hinfin, 

I have been mainly feeding just frozen bbs. However, I would like to transition them to something else as they are eating too much bbs now. I go through a cell pack ($11 worth) every 5 days now. I may start adding bloodworms and repashy into their diet. I am trying to be careful to not underfeed them, but also to not gorge them so they grow too rapidly. 

At some point BBS just isnt enough anymore. Wet foods like FBW and Gelfood are preferrable, but i raise my fry on dry food. It is less expensive and lets you identify digestive problems early on. This sounds cruel to some maybe but i feed my adult fish pellets and i do think those fish raised on wet foods are prone to swimbladder issues when switching them to dry foods later on in life.

I have fed gelfood during a full season, also to older fry. A disadvantage of gelfood is that the proteines in gelatin is not as essential to fish then say the proteines in fish meal. The fry i fed gelfood as a large part of their diet were very healthy but didnt grow as quickly then the fry i raised on pellets. Also in -my experience- body depth and mass can be groomed better with pellets versus a leaner and presumably healthier gelfood diet.

In any case the quality of the foods provided, wet foods or dried, will be most important i think. I cant source good quality controlled fbw where i live so i have to make due with what i can get though......

Hi Hinfin, 

At some point BBS just isnt enough anymore. Wet foods like FBW and Gelfood are preferrable, but i raise my fry on dry food. It is less expensive and lets you identify digestive problems early on. This sounds cruel to some maybe but i feed my adult fish pellets and i do think those fish raised on wet foods are prone to swimbladder issues when switching them to dry foods later on in life.

I have fed gelfood during a full season, also to older fry. A disadvantage of gelfood is that the proteines in gelatin is not as essential to fish then say the proteines in fish meal. The fry i fed gelfood as a large part of their diet were very healthy but didnt grow as quickly then the fry i raised on pellets. Also in -my experience- body depth and mass can be groomed better with pellets versus a leaner and presumably healthier gelfood diet.

In any case the quality of the foods provided, wet foods or dried, will be most important i think. I cant source good quality controlled fbw where i live so i have to make due with what i can get though.....

Thanks for the reply. I do have on hand a package of Azayaka growth formula for fry. I guess I will start incorporating it in their feedings now. It is already very tiny, almost powder like. This is the ingredients and anaylsis of contents:

Ingredients: krill meal, whole fish meal, squid meal, starch, krill extract, squid liver oil, yeast, soybean lecithin, calcium phosphate, paracoccus beneficial bacteria, vitamins, minerals

Analysis: crude protein min 52%, crude fat min 8%, crude fiber max 4%, crude ash max 19%

Sometimes I look at videos on youtube of fry at similar age, and they are double the size of my fry. I am not sure if mine are smaller than normal or not. 

Edited by Luna

50%+ proteine is what i use aswell but i do not ever use powdered foods because it pollutes the water too much. After BBS i use a 0,5mm sinking micropellet to start and a sinking 'colour' crumble 0.8mm. I do not use probiotics early on, but i have seen many grinding up hikari green or purple in a pepper grinder for fry. Mind though, i allways start a fresh system with fry so hence the reluctance with probiotics.

I will post the food specifics tomorrow. The Azayaka fry food seems very high on crude ash content.

Edited by Hinfin

They look great! Might I recommend you look into Paradigm Foods and their Grow formula? It's specifically aimed at juvenile fish. What you have on hand also looks good but I agree it can be hard to control the water quality with powdered food. You could always mix it into something like Repashy to boost the protein content, though!

These are my Sakura Oranda after exactly 1 month by the way. After the following cull i started introducing micropellets, but slowly, probably at month 2 had them completely on dried food.

Edited by Hinfin

Thank you both for your reply.

@Arctic Mama - I will look into that. I am always looking for a variety to give to my fish!

@Hinfin - Very nice fry! You have quite a few there. 

Today one of my fry seems lethargic. Well, I noticed it started last night. He just kind of floats through the water and seems to be panting (breathing faster than the other fish). I seperated him last night and put him into a tupperware bin. All of the other fish are active and fine, though. Perhaps this one ate too much dry food? This morning I noticed he did defecate. Before I left for work I put in some BBS for him. 

Edited by Luna

Fish can overeat but that should not give the problems you have with the fry. Try feeding less and more feedings.

When fish are panting i usually suspect gilldamage, so either waterquality could be an issue or gillflukes.

I had to search for the label on the fryfood i feed, both the 'colour' crumble and micropellets contain the same ingredients exept for the astaxanthin in the colour crumble.

Ingredients: fish meal, fish oil, wheat gluten, corn starch, yeast, vitamins, minerals
Analysis: crude protein min 54%, crude fat 15%, crude fiber 0,5%, crude ash 8.6%, total P 1,5%, total calcium 2,4%

Vitamin A 12.000 IE/kg. Vitamin D3   2.500 IE/kg. Vitamin E      240 mg./kg. Vitamin C (stable)      300 mg./kg.

Probably the most simple list of ingredients for fishfood, but it works, micropellets are very water stable, more then the crumble.

Important when starting to feed dried foods is to soak them a bit before feeding. Just the right amount so the pellets take in all the water. This wil soften the pellets.

Good luck, hope to see what will become of the fry!

Thanks for the response. I will definitely look for that food!

I guess tonight I can start using Prazipro again. I used it on them from weeks 2-5, so I have not treated them in the last 3 weeks. 

No problem, glad ive had a little more time to post here lately!

It will take some time to find the right kind of food with a good quality fish meal. The foods i use is just a commercial fry food available in my country and western europe and used for rearing all kinds of cold water pondfish. It has a similar smell as fresh fish so it does not smell fishy at all allthough it allmost entirely is made out of fishmeal.

Flukes are a pain, hope you can keep them under control! When fry are small ive had best experiences with doing large WC's(90%) and keeping a little salt in the water.

Allmost forgot, siphoning accumulating waste is also very important to prevent fluke outbreaks. Any time i was not doing it enough i had flukes issues. Same with filter cleaning.

Edited by Hinfin

I siphon the bottom of the tank whatever is visible at least two to three times a day. I think I have become addicted to doing this. I use a turkey baster. I have switched them now to 25% BBS and 75% dry pellets. The juvenile formula for fry that I have also comes in 0.5mm pellets so I have been feeding this as it doesn't muck up the water like the powder was. The lethargic fry I had I put back into the main tank the other day and I can't even tell which one it is now. So it seems he has gone back to being normal.

I also added some duckweed to the tank. They really seem to like it and spend most of their time amongst it now nibbling and trying to rip the roots off. It's quite funny watching them try and swim around with a large root in their mouth. I only hope none choke!

Here is a quick video I took. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEeCZgbFII&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Luna

After doing research, what I added to the tank was actually water spangles, and not duckweed.  :P

If you want to select good seeds from these you are doing OK! 

They look great! What is your plan for these? Are you just going to rehome them or are you going to try and breed a next generation?