Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Starting again after Costia...

I have had an outbreak of costia :cry which came in on my new fish, so for my peace of mind (my OCD is driving me nuts about this) I would like to start again. 

I have a 220L which has been cycling for 6 weeks now, but I don't know if I have cross contaminated the tank so I am going to start again.  The tank has been in fish cycling for 2 weeks, then fishless cycling for around 4 weeks.  I have a separate thread going in the equipment section to help establish the best disinfecting protocol for my tank.

I would like to have the 220L tank all ready for when Louie is out of QT, and will have to do a partial fishless cycle til then, and then complete with a fish in cycle.  At least 220L is a great deal of water for one little 6g fish, and with prime and regular monitoring of the parameters I think it will be ok.  I don't have access to ammonia to do a fishless cycle properly.  I realise that the tank will take longer to cycle this way.

I have new filter media ready to be put in there, and don't want to use media from my other tanks as I am unsure again about the cross contamination, and also the tropical tank I have cycled is showing signs of costia too.  I also have a heater to use to help the cycle speed up before adding the fish, as I understand lower temperatures reduce bacteria production.

My kh is normally 125 to 130 (7 to 7.5 drops API test) and my gh is normally 170-179 (9.5 to 10 drops API test).  The ph sits stable between 8.1 to 8.4.  My tap water is always 0/0/0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

My 2000L/hr canister will be set up with (in order of water flow from the tank, back into the tank):

• course filter sponge,
  • medium filter sponge, 
  • fine filter sponge,
  • normal filter floss,
  • fine filter floss,
  • 2kg of Biohome Ultimate filter media. 

It seems that it the Biohome Ultimate has nutrients in it to help beneficial bacteria growth, and also will last for years and years.  They also claim the filter media has 1,120 Sq m (12,050 sq ft) of surface area for bacteria for the 2kg of media.

http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So my questions are:

I have bought a pond cycling product to help speed up the cycling, and have already started a stocking with flakes in it soaking in some primed water to create some ammonia.  Has anyone used these kind of products to speed up the cycle with success?  This is the product I have purchased, and it has been in the fridge since I bought it... Pondcare Quick Start http://www.thetechde...ml_p/aph321.htm

Will it be ok to start the cycle at 24degrees Celsius, and then reduce the temp to 18 degrees Celsius (room temperature water which Louies QT tank is at) 24hours prior to adding Louie?

I hope all of that makes some sense.  Thanks again for all your valuable insight and experience/recommendations.  I really feel like I am in over my head and you guys all make such a difference to me!  Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!!!!!!

Edited by Ree

Hi Ree,

Since this thread is near identical to the one you started earlier, I suggest we stick to the previous one. It's easier to keep of track of everything this way. :)

Edit: I see why you've done this, sorry, my mistake.

I think generally the consensus on cycling products is that they don't much (if anything). Some people claim they've helped, others not so much. Do you have access to any cycled media?

Edited by dan in aus

Hi Ree,

Since this thread is near identical to the one you started earlier, I suggest we stick to the previous one. It's easier to keep of track of everything this way. :)

Ok, You mean this one? http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121556-sanitizing-tank-after-costia/

Sorry.  We thought it would be better to separate them so and treat the cycling as a different thread to pick it up in the water quality section...   The other thread is a little scattered though.  Sorry about that.  My brain isn't working at its best at the moment... but then, is it ever? :teehee

Yes, that was my mistake, I missed that post. I edited my previous one as you were posting. :)

Hi Ree,

Edit: I see why you've done this, sorry, my mistake.

I think generally the consensus on cycling products is that they don't much (if anything). Some people claim they've helped, others not so much. Do you have access to any cycled media?

HEHEHE dual posting!!!!   No, unfortunately I don't have access to disease fee cycled media... it would be great if I did.... 

I don't know of any ammonia I can access either in Australia.

Edited by Ree

I have used the cycle stuff before and its always a hit or miss with that stuff...

Are you in Sydney? I could get some to you if you are.

I have used the cycle stuff before and its always a hit or miss with that stuff...

Ok, thanks Koko!  Did anything bad happen from it... bad bacteria or pathogens?  I just don't want to have to start again again!  That would be too much! :cry

Are you in Sydney? I could get some to you if you are.

I'm on the Mid North Coast in NSW.  Is it possible for you get it to me here?  I don't know if it can be posted or not.  I would be willing to pay for the postage and the media. :thumbup2: Or were you talking of the ammonia... sorry I edited my last post maybe after you posted this... LOL

Edited by Ree

We can't get ammonia here, something about bomb making or something. I'm pretty sure someone in the US sent media through the post, let me see if I can find out who and how they packaged it.

We can't get ammonia here, something about bomb making or something. I'm pretty sure someone in the US sent media through the post, let me see if I can find out who and how they packaged it.

Thankyou so much Dan.... Like I said I will reimburse you for the postage, and the media too... let me know how much once you figure out if its possible to send it.... :happydance

Ill PM you with my address so you can work out the postage if you want.

No ill effects hun, just didnt cycle the tank :(

OK thankyou... Ill give it a try if I cant get any media and see what happens then since I already bought it.  Will be interesting to see if it works. 

Have a good day Koko  :hi

OK thankyou... Ill give it a try if I cant get any media and see what happens then since I already bought it.  Will be interesting to see if it works. 

Have a good day Koko  :hi

Like my dad says wont know till ya try :)

Dan, I think Lisa sent media to Jenna.

Yes, to me and also Kathleen i think! :teehee

I also got some sponges from Tammy too haha. It got my tank sorted in a little less than two weeks (but at that point i was close, just couldn't kick the crazy high nitrites). :nana

The only thing i didn't quite find, what do you plan to use to feed the bacteria in the media from Dan, while you wait for Louie to come out of QT?

I also got some sponges from Tammy too haha. It got my tank sorted in a little less than two weeks (but at that point i was close, just couldn't kick the crazy high nitrites). :nana

The only thing i didn't quite find, what do you plan to use to feed the bacteria in the media from Dan, while you wait for Louie to come out of QT?

Hi Jenzaar!  :hi I have some fish food soaking to create some ammonia... we don't have access to ammonia in Australia due to anti terrorism legislation.  Its all I can do till then... that is how I got the tank nearly cycled just now... but the costia has contaminated everything... hence the starting again.... :blink:  NOT my idea of a fun thing at all!

Hi Jenzaar!  :hi I have some fish food soaking to create some ammonia... we don't have access to ammonia in Australia due to anti terrorism legislation.  Its all I can do till then... that is how I got the tank nearly cycled just now... but the costia has contaminated everything... hence the starting again.... :blink:  NOT my idea of a fun thing at all!

Okay, I knew you couldn't get ammonia, but just wanted to make sure that something was going in there! :teehee

Okay, I knew you couldn't get ammonia, but just wanted to make sure that something was going in there! :teehee

Yep... the tank is 2feet from my bed... I couldn't stomach the idea of the smell of a rotten prawn in the water.... :thumbdown EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!    :teehee

You can always pee in your tank ........ seriously.

You can always pee in your tank ........ seriously.

:yikes  :teehee  I had thought of that..... but I couldn't bring myself to do it....  and then I wondered what other bacteria etc it would introduce?  and the tank is right beside my bed... would it smell like a toilet?