Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dctan12

Dye Goldfish

Why would people (Seller) want to dye goldfish? Do you view it as cruelty? Why don't they(Human) leave mother nature as it is !!! Do you think they will survive?

Color%20Pearlie_zpswtynrc0v.jpg

BKWhite%20Oranda_zpsfkgqdg1f.jpg

Not so sure that second one is dyed....

I dont think the second one is dyed, like Hidr said... the others well maybe a 50% chance of living... So sad

That Oranda is gorgeous.

Dyed fish ....... die.

It should be condemned and banned.

Yes, people should boycott these fish shop/fish farmer that making profit out of consumers :stop . If there is no demand, there will be no supply from the seller. Definitely is cruelty, let mother nature take it cause........... :D   

Ridiculous! As If goldfish are not colorful enough!

I can't see any true goldfish lovers being drawn towards them, the look like they are geared towards 2-5year olds.

Glofish (the dyed fish at the top) are illegal in the EU.

Its disgusting what they do to those poor fish, they do it to a lot of fish now, I find it horrible and it should be banned, anything to make a buck and no they will not live a full happy life.

I'm not a fan of dyed fish. I'm not sure I'd call it animal cruelty, but it's awfully close if it doesn't meet the definition outright.

The fish are not dyed. They are genetically manipulated, like goldfish.

you sure ? they look just like them... :yikes

They are genetically modified, but not through selected breeding like goldfish. DNA bits from other fish (and coral!) are inserted into the DNA sequence of the embryo fish.  

So only dyed in the sense that the colour is part of the inserted DNA material. 

Here's information on glofish.

My point was that there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. Not something that the site wants to be spreading. The fish are not suffering in any way. The fish were originally intended to detect pollution in waterways. They have been born the colors that they are for a good 10 years now. I have owned some of these fish. They are very healthy and vigorous. There are many other types of fish that are neon or "glow". It is naturally occurring in them. I'm not sure if anyone has genetically modified goldfish the way these fish have been modified but the fact remains that these fish are treated no worse than our precious goldfish.

I'm not sure if anyone has genetically modified goldfish the way these fish have been modified but the fact remains that these fish are treated no worse than our precious goldfish.

According to dctan's label the fish in his picture are pearlscales.  I assume this is from China, since I can't find any info on fluorescent goldfish here.  

It's hard to tell.  The fish in the first picture do look like pearlscales with the glofish colours.  Jason, I wouldn't say the thread has misinformation, although perhaps garbled terminology.  

If the pearl scales in the first photo have been produced in the manner of glofish, the first fish was genetically modified in a lab and then passed the modified gene on to its children.  

Pretty obviously, injecting, say a jellyfish gene, into a species of fish is going to be controversial.  This is why the EU bans genetically altered aquarium fish.  Frankly, genetically modified goldfish strike me as more disturbing than genetically modified tropicals as the goldfish would be more robust in the wild. 

Glofish (the dyed fish at the top) are illegal in the EU.

They're illegal here in California, too. Edited by *Amanda*

My personal view, whether the fish itself dye or genetic alter, the fish should stay original as it is. It almost like the question of cloning human. What I wanna say is that goldfish itself have alot of variety color so no need to change their color to customize human need which break down to cents & dollars.   

I've never looked into the topic! Thank you for clearing that up. :)

My personal view, whether the fish itself dye or genetic alter, the fish should stay original as it is. It almost like the question of cloning human. What I wanna say is that goldfish itself have alot of variety color so no need to change their color to customize human need which break down to cents & dollars.

I'm always really careful to demonize selective breeding for mutations, or even genetic manipulation, because it seems like a bit of a glass house when my particular area of love is heavily mutated fancy goldfish >_<

Yes, Arctic Mama, when I read comments about the ethics of producing glofish, a number of people said these fish experienced no decline in health or quality and length of life, in contrast to some fancy goldfish or bulldogs.   I think you can have any kind of goldfish or dog you want as long as you take care of it.

I find these glofish rather like paintings on black velvet --  tacky to me, but fine if you like them. 

I respect your opinion. I was just wondering, did you read the info about glofish in the link? Apparently they were originally created to detect pollution in waterways, which I think is important :)