Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bagh

Can I feed mangoes to my goldfishes?

It's summer, and the oranges, peas and lettuce are out of the market. So I was wondering if I could feed mango to my goldies, without posing a risk to their health.

I prefer not to make dry fish food their staple food, and always try to rely on fresh, alternative foods.

Hi Bagho,

From what I've learned:

Goldfish don't digest sugar very well.

Mangos: perhaps add a slice without the skin, mashed into the next batch of gel food. That is as much as I would use. I wouldn't give them more than a pea-sized taste.

Peas: If you take off the outer membrane of the peas and smoosh them...you could freeze them as treats for later. Just do one or two at a time when feeding.

Lettuce: steam it or not, clip it and let them decide

Have fun with their treats!  I'm sure they'll appreciate the diversity. 

Hi Bagho,

From what I've learned:

Goldfish don't digest sugar very well.

Mangos: perhaps add a slice without the skin, mashed into the next batch of gel food. That is as much as I would use. I wouldn't give them more than a pea-sized taste.

Peas: If you take off the outer membrane of the peas and smoosh them...you could freeze them as treats for later. Just do one or two at a time when feeding.

Lettuce: steam it or not, clip it and let them decide

Have fun with their treats!  I'm sure they'll appreciate the diversity.

Thank you! That's a very informative reply. So I guess, I can't feed them bananas as well. Bananas contain lots of sugar.

Yep, I have planned to pasteurise and freeze peas next winter for use in off season. :)

That's a cool idea to feed lettuce!

We're prolly stuck now to packed foods.

Banana: You can, they'll love it....but you're the one who has to show restraint!  :teehee  Just about as much as a pea. Divide it between many 4-15 goldies. Just the tiniest amount each.

Are there any other leafy greens available?

Kudos for wanting to share the king of fruits, I'm not even prepared to share mangoes with the rest of my family. :rofl

If you want to feed sugary foods to goldfish, only do so one time a month with a large water change right after. Not only do goldfish not process a large amount of sugar very well, but fruit is often a messy affair to feed.

Can't you buy frozen peas in India?  That's what virtually everyone here uses.  

Green veggies are what you want.  Can you get duckweed and grow it in a tub?  That is the best veggie for goldfish and is probably the most nutritionally complete single food you can give them.  

Kudos for wanting to share the king of fruits, I'm not even prepared to share mangoes with the rest of my family. :rofl

I was thinking the same! It's not easy to get good mangoes here, so when I do get one, it's mine!!

However I know they're in abundance in India, as well as lots of other delicious fruit. I was recently in Sri Lanka and was just like   :Scoff: for an entire month.

Banana: You can, they'll love it....but you're the one who has to show restraint!  :teehee  Just about as much as a pea. Divide it between many 4-15 goldies. Just the tiniest amount each.

Hehe, I will. :D Thank you for the assurance, and for the tip!

Yes, we have spinach. Is it okay to feed them spinach? (Remember Popeye? I mean, the cartoon, not the fish disease. :D)

I am still rolling on the floor, laughing, after reading your signature. Lincoln and the internet! :P

If you want to feed sugary foods to goldfish, only do so one time a month with a large water change right after. Not only do goldfish not process a large amount of sugar very well, but fruit is often a messy affair to feed.

Indeed. You are right. Bananas and mangoes can get quite messy for the water. But once a month? Oops! I wish we could make it their staple food. But it's sugar anyway, and it's not a good idea. For treats, it's okay, right?

Green veggies are what you want.  Can you get duckweed and grow it in a tub?  That is the best veggie for goldfish and is probably the most nutritionally complete single food you can give them.  

Yes, we get frozen peas, but all are laden with artificial colours and preservatives. That's why I avoid them.

Duckweed? Gee, that's a swell idea! We get duckweed to buy here. Can it be propagated in my planted aquarium?

Very occasional treats, sure. Like I said, once a month at most. 

I was thinking the same! It's not easy to get good mangoes here, so when I do get one, it's mine!!

However I know they're in abundance in India, as well as lots of other delicious fruit. I was recently in Sri Lanka and was just like   :Scoff: for an entire month.

Yes, right. Mangoes are a tropical fruit and can be very pricey to get a hold of, in temperate areas.

Bet you enjoyed the mangoes in Sri Lanka. :)

Very occasional treats, sure. Like I said, once a month at most. 

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you! :D

Can I feed them sweet lemon? Citrus limetta?

Hehe, I will. :D Thank you for the assurance, and for the tip!

Yes, we have spinach. Is it okay to feed them spinach? (Remember Popeye? I mean, the cartoon, not the fish disease. :D)

I am still rolling on the floor, laughing, after reading your signature. Lincoln and the internet! :P

Indeed. You are right. Bananas and mangoes can get quite messy for the water. But once a month? Oops! I wish we could make it their staple food. But it's sugar anyway, and it's not a good idea. For treats, it's okay, right?

Yes, we get frozen peas, but all are laden with artificial colours and preservatives. That's why I avoid them.

Are you sure of that or is that just an expectation?  Frozen peas are bright green, and freezing eliminates the need for preservatives, so that seems rather unlikely.

Duckweed? Gee, that's a swell idea! We get duckweed to buy here. Can it be propagated in my planted aquarium?

Duckweed will grow in an aquarium, however if there are goldfish in the aquarium they will we every last bit of duckweed, so it can't propagate  there.  Just put it in a tub with the used water from your water changes and it will grow well.

Spinnach, broccoli, frozen or canned peas (no salt!), kale, letteche, cucumber (cut it so that they can get to the inside) are all great veggies to feed your fish. If you can get a hold of seaweed, that is great too.

Another idea would be to make your own gel food, then you will have a great supplement to the dried pellets.

be careful with broccoli it can cause gas just like in ppl :o

Are you sure of that or is that just an expectation?  Frozen peas are bright green, and freezing eliminates the need for preservatives, so that seems rather unlikely.

Duckweed will grow in an aquarium, however if there are goldfish in the aquarium they will we every last bit of duckweed, so it can't propagate  there.  Just put it in a tub with the used water from your water changes and it will grow well.

The packet of freeze dried peas list Sodium Benzoate as the listed preservative. That's an irritant, right?

Yes, I am planning to grow duckweed in my planted tank.

Thank you!

Spinnach, broccoli, frozen or canned peas (no salt!), kale, letteche, cucumber (cut it so that they can get to the inside) are all great veggies to feed your fish. If you can get a hold of seaweed, that is great too.

Another idea would be to make your own gel food, then you will have a great supplement to the dried pellets.

Yep! I am planning to make my gel food from instructions here on Kokos. Is gelatin safe in the long run when fed daily?

Thank you so much for the information. Guess what? Last winter, my fish was all bloated up from broccoli and he was farting.

FART ZONE! :D

We need an emoticon of a goldfish farting!

If you feed mango and banana when they are not ripe, you avoid some of the sugar.

fc,550x550,white.jpg

fc,550x550,white.jpg

Look at my profile picture!! :)

Hahaha, the farting pic! Good idea about feeding them unripe bananas.

Mine prefer oranges.

You can cut a thin slice (1/8 of the orange or less) and float the slice in the pond or tank. They'll attack it once they figure out that it is food. I only do this once or twice a year. It is a special treat.

Mine prefer oranges.

You can cut a thin slice (1/8 of the orange or less) and float the slice in the pond or tank. They'll attack it once they figure out that it is food. I only do this once or twice a year. It is a special treat.

Really? Can't we feed citrus fruits daily? What do you feed them as a staple?