Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Fry- didn't really want or expect, but...

So, I did some big changes in my tank, shortly after my fish spawned. (I didn't want them to, but kids these days...)

I had no intention of breeding/keeping the fry, and did nothing to protect the eggs.

What I did do is transfer all of the gravel from my original tank to a new tank, and was using the new tank to QT some new plants - a ton of hornwort, some anubias. Fish stayed in the original tank, they're peachy.

About two weeks into the QT period I noticed some fry swimming around the hornwort in the qt tank. A week later I've done nothing with the tank; the fry are still there.

Out of curiosity, how likely is it that the fry will live long enough to start developing their shape & color? The only thing I have to feed is adult fish food, which I don't think will work. I imagine the fry may be snacking on algae in the tank.

Again, I'm not really trying to raise the fry, but they're there... And I'm curious...

I've never raised fry before but I'm sure you will be getting lots of help here.

About how old are they now?  If your not wanting to go out now and purchase some food for them (if they are old enough to even eat it) maybe try crushing a pellet or two and see if they try to eat that.

Where are the pictures? We must see pictures.  :rofl

4prettyfish's idea of crushing up a pellet is a good idea. Right now they're probably eating the micro-organisms on the plants. We had fry hatch where I used to work in the tank where we kept pond plants -- they came in when people gave us the extra plants from their ponds. They just ate what was in there floating around. When they got bigger we moved them to a separate tank and fed them flakes.

Edited by goldfishgirl82

What a fun surprise!  Raising fry is very rewarding; they develop pretty quickly and are fascinating to watch.  I second the suggestion to crush some pellets for them, consider yourself obligated. ;)  They should also be prazi'd - probably now - to keep them from dying off that way, or becoming deformed.

I feel like I took plenty of pictures at each stage, if you want to check out my fry thread.  I had zero experience with raising fry and was able to raise my surprise babies successfully.  Have fun!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118629-finley-franklins-first-fry/

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

The easiest way to feed them is to use crushed pellets and I've found that a pepper mill is just about perfect for grinding pellets up. the problem I see is that you have them in a tank with a gravel bottom. Is that right? Some if not all of the crushed pellets are going to sink to the bottom and not get eaten. 

If you want to try and raise them, I''l be happy to outline how I do it for you. My routine takes about 15-30 minutes each day, but that includes feeding the fry brine shrimp, and cleaning and refilling the brine shrimp hatchery. If you just went with ground up pellets, 5 - 10 minutes a day would cover it. 

If they won't take the crushed pellets you could try them with a bit of cooked egg yolk. I've never fed my own fry that but I know some people have success with it, and its a good way of providing them with the protein they need when growing.

So far, they fry are proving pretty resilient. There's probably a couple dozen fry. (hard to tell with the amount of hornwort in the tank). I've just got a brine shrimp hatchery going.

If I screw that up it'll be a major accomplishment. (All of our freshwater - rivers, streams, lakes, etc. drains to the Great Salt Lake, where the eggs were probably harvested. As a result, the ph, buffering, etc. are the same as their natural habitat.)

I've also been feeding powdered adult food, and have some NLS Fry Grow.

I'm kinda excited to see what they look like when they develop.

5a6a3bd00564fdbdcf630422c2029bcb.jpg

They really don't need feeding in a plant tank.  There's loads of natural food in there and it's much better for them than pellets.  If you can get some duckweed,  put it in the tank.  They can't eat duckweed, but it's a favorite hangout for rotifers and other critters of the same size that make excellent fry food.  

Actually I like to toss in an intact large floating pellet.  They start nibbling on it as they do with the algae on the side of the tank.  As it softens, they can nibble off tiny bits of the softened pellet.  It's a much safer food for them than ground up pellets since there is no way they will get too large a bite.  Plus, it's a riot to watch them pushing this big hunk of food around the tank.