Kokos Goldfish Forum

So we're moving again, but should be the last time for a while. The new place has hardwood floors where my monster is going (125gal with a 55gal sump) and I need some suggestions for protecting them from the WEIGHT. I was thinking cork, but I'm not sure.

When I had a double stand with 2 40Bs on the tile in my dorm/apt at college, I just put a few scraps of cardboard underneath the feet of the stand to protect the floor. I don't see why cork wouldn't do just fine for your needs. :)

I can't even think about putting an aquarium on a hardwood floor, but I don't think most people have my talent for spilling water. :)

I can't even think about putting an aquarium on a hardwood floor, but I don't think most people have my talent for spilling water. :)

I bet I could rival you in that... my coordination where buckets are concerned is pretty ridiculous. It's why my bf wouldn't let me have the tank in the carpeted living room :rolleyes:

I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to wish you and your fish a safe move.  Definitely please post photo's of your tank and fish once you have it all set up in your new home.  (what an awesome size tank :)   ) 

This made me laugh because I am the same way. When looking for options on places to live, I purposely avoid places with nice wood floor because I know I will ruin them.  :teehee I guess I would probably have to invest in some nice large rugs if I had no choice. 

Get some hardwood planks to put under your tankstand, this will help even out the weight of tank on the floor. I have this under my 175 gallon tank and it helps.

I'm not saying this is the best idea but I would use a sheet of plywood. The large surface area will spread the weight. Actually the bottom of my 125 basically is a sheet of plywood.

Hi!  I've got my 125 tank and wood stand on hardwood floors--that's why one puts down towels on the floor for water changes.  I had cut  the bottom frame out of thick plywood and use those slidee-thingees (for refrigerators and other heavy furniture) on all corners and the the middle support.  It has worked oyt well.  When I had to get just one more inch distance in the back for a new filter...with the help of a friend I was able to nudge the whole tank, water, fish and all, that one more inch with the slindee-thingees.

Good luck on your move,

Chris

My husband is a structural engineer (licensed PE and SE). The worry isn't the water, but the beams below them. Unless this is slab on grade, please please make sure you're across multiple stringers and preferable several full cross beams. Our house is well built and supported, and it still can barely take the 80 gallon I am putting on it except against a single wall of the house.

Most homes are only rated for 40 pounds per square foot. And wood weakens over time with sustained loads. Please be careful with the location of the tank, not only to keep it level but to not compromise the performance of your home in a seismic or wind event.

Cork wouldn't do it. Putting it on something like Cement board is a better idea, for load distribution.

Against a load bearing exterior wall, too, is okay. The very worst location would be the middle of a beam span and along a singles beam, rather than perpendicular to the house's floor beams. Think about how that load would distribute - the more beams involved, the safer it is.

Edited by Arctic Mama