Kokos Goldfish Forum
Ree

How do you measure the length of a fish?

Hi,

I don't know where to post this question, but I'll have a stab and post it here. 

I've figured out how to weigh them, but how do you measure your fish?  Mine wont just sidle up to the ruler as I have asked them to!  :doh11:  They fidget about too much... so how is it done? and where from to where?

Thanks so much.... :hummm

Hi Ree! :*

I normally put minein a clear tupperware container and put a ruler/measuring tape underneath and snap photos until they happen to be at the right angle to the ruler to get a measurement :rofl Some people hold their fish in a tank close to the glass and have a ruler stuck to the outside, I can never hold my fish like that and get the measurement at the same time though :P

I measure from top of the 'nose' to the base of the tail.

Hi Ree! :*

I normally put minein a clear tupperware container and put a ruler/measuring tape underneath and snap photos until they happen to be at the right angle to the ruler to get a measurement :rofl Some people hold their fish in a tank close to the glass and have a ruler stuck to the outside, I can never hold my fish like that and get the measurement at the same time though :P

I measure from top of the 'nose' to the base of the tail.

Hi Mandy!

So, please forgive me (I'm having a moment here where my brain has switched off for the night  :sleeping:   ), so you don't include the length of your fish's tail, just his body? 

Standard length does not include tail measurement.  :D

Yup just body, Sometimes I will take both measurements but as Lisa said standard length is without tail :D

Yup just body, Sometimes I will take both measurements but as Lisa said standard length is without tail :D

Thanks Lisa and Mandy.  That sorts that out for me!  Now I just have to get them near a ruler, and to stay still for two seconds together.... or take a fluke of a photo like Mandy! 

Yep, nose to peduncle.  I love that word...peduncle, peduncle, peduncle :rofl

Let's clarify this.  There are two types of measurement used for domestic fish -- total length (tl) or standard length (sl) . (Fork length, which is also shown in the link is typically used for marine fish.  I have no idea why.)  

Anglers use total length (including tail), which is fine since the tails of wild species are essentially all in the same so two fish of the same species with the same tl will also have the same sl.  People who sell goldfish usually use the total length since that makes the fish sound bigger, and bigger is pricier.  Koi measurements are tl unless they are longfins (butterflies) where sl  is used since the fin length is variable, making tl virtually meaningless.

With the variability of tails in  goldfish, total length without a picture (showing the relative amount of body and tail) tells us little about the amount of fish that one has.  That information is very important when we are dealing with water problems, sickness, or medication dosages.

The most important thing is to include the measurement you are using when you give the length of the fish.  So don't say (for example) 10 cm, but say  10 cm sl or 10 cm tl.  

Yep, nose to peduncle.  I love that word...peduncle, peduncle, peduncle :rofl

Yep Jared, I agree!  Sounds so much more refined than 'fish butt'. :teehee  

Let's clarify this.  There are two types of measurement used for domestic fish -- total length (tl) or standard length (sl) . (Fork length, which is also shown in the link is typically used for marine fish.  I have no idea why.)  

Anglers use total length (including tail), which is fine since the tails of wild species are essentially all in the same so two fish of the same species with the same tl will also have the same sl.  People who sell goldfish usually use the total length since that makes the fish sound bigger, and bigger is pricier.  Koi measurements are tl unless they are longfins (butterflies) where sl  is used since the fin length is variable, making tl virtually meaningless.

With the variability of tails in  goldfish, total length without a picture (showing the relative amount of body and tail) tells us little about the amount of fish that one has.  That information is very important when we are dealing with water problems, sickness, or medication dosages.

The most important thing is to include the measurement you are using when you give the length of the fish.  So don't say (for example) 10 cm, but say  10 cm sl or 10 cm tl.  

Hi Sharon,  Thanks for quantifying that for me.  I would not have thought of specifying which length I am using.  I did not know that there were two acceptable ways to measure.  I will remember that if I need to give the Mods any info regarding the length of my fish....  Great tip!  Thankyou :tou

So to measure them first.  I'm sure they are going to see me coming with a ruler and :yikes then  :hide: and I will be :krazy:  :goldfish: .  It should be very interesting! 

I am just so pleased that you guys can arm me with all this information, but then you don't see how I crazily try to but it into action. 

I measure nose to end of tail.

I'll hold my fish with one hand in their tank, close to the front of the glass, and measure them from the outside of the tank with a big ruler. :)

I measure nose to end of tail.

OK.  Just always give the measurement followed by "tl."  

I'll hold my fish with one hand in their tank, close to the front of the glass, and measure them from the outside of the tank with a big ruler. :)

I should have added: hold my fish with one hand while fish is under water...............................

I should have added: hold my fish with one hand while fish is under water...............................

That's OK 4prettyfish, I got what you meant!  I undergustumbled! :teehee