Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CourtneyandThunder

Floater Question

I know for fancies you have to float the food before giving it to them but do you have to do the same with common and shubunkinds???

I have never floated food in my life and I have about 10 fancies at the moment. I prefer to use a quality sinking food like Hikari Liohead. The fancies in my pond get floating food and they do not seem to have problems with it. Oh and to answer your question, no.

Edited by DieselPlower

I don't soak either. I use sinking foods for fancy fish. I would think it wouldn't matter for singletailed fish.

My singletails could care less whether their food sinks, floats or swims or grows.

It is me who cares. For example:  if I want to see them at the surface (guests, photos, viewing dome) I'll give them floating food. If I want them to stay away from a  particular area for a while, I'll feed them sinking food in the opposite corner. And if I want to commune with them, I'll feed them homemade gel food mouthful by mouthful off a tiny toothpick fork. 

I think what you might be talking about is hydrating the food a bit before giving it to them. :idont  Which is actually a sound practice. But my small pellets hydrate so quickly I usually don't bother. Basically, you don't want to give them something dry (like breadcrumbs) that could expand in their digestive track. 

I read that you should soak the, oh well it will be so much easier not to soak them now. And I did get sinking pellets.

I keep a little container on top of my tank. When I feed the pellets I scoop up some tank water & soak it for a little while then I pour off any excess water & dump it into the tank. The feeding frendzy begins right away!

Edited by Jeana727

The reason for all the soaking is, in the past we had foods like Progold that would, once hit the water get alot of air in there....I only soak if I can place a piece of food in water and massive bubbles can out....