Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CourtneyandThunder

Best Food

There is no one 'best' food. It all depends on your personal preference, outside of good nutrition. 

Here are a few tips:

• Fillers should not be in the first few ingredients. Keep them as low on the list as possible.
  • Make sure that if you're looking for a staple food that it actually has protein. While plant matter is important, so is animal protein.
  • if you use pellets, make sure they're a small size. 1mm is a good size for even large goldfish.
  • If you're using gel food, make sure that it either contains animal proteins or you have an animal protein to supplement with.
  • The best supplemental animal protein by far is Frozen Bloodworms.
  • No freeze-dried food or floating food.
  • Repashy and New Life Spectrum make amazing premade gels. These aren't always available in-store so the internet is your best bet to find them.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. :)

I agree with Chelsea's comments.  Personally, I really like the New Life Spectrum Thera-A and Hikari Lionhead 2mm sinking pellets.  For supplements, I like Repashy Super Green and either Hikari or San Francisco Bay frozen bloodworm cubes.  I don't do terrestrial vegetables and my fish are not floaty.

You guys are lifesavers, Im off to pet smart tomorrow to get them some proper food. Frozen bloodworms are bad??? I was going to get some. I think Im also going to get gel food as well. If they have any. I will look for new life spectrum. Thanks so much!!!!

Edited by CourtneyandThunder

I think you misunderstood, they said frozen blood worms are a good source of protein. :)
One other thing you might consider is these seaweeds. You just re-hydrate them and they are a great veggie source. I use them frequently and my fish love them. They're a great alternative to terrestrial veggies.

omega_one_seaweed.jpg

Edited by goldfishgirl82

You guys are lifesavers, Im off to pet smart tomorrow to get them some proper food. Frozen bloodworms are bad??? I was going to get some. I think Im also going to get gel food as well. If they have any. I will look for new life spectrum. Thanks so much!!!!

Freeze dried bloodworms are bad. Frozen bloodworms are the best.

I put both yeses and nos on that list, so I'm sorry if that was confusing.

Edited by ChelseaM

I always aim for a veggie source, a protein treat, and a staple diet. For me that's Repashy Super Green, NLS bloodworm pellets, and Paradigm Herbivore. I'll likely be rotating in something like SakiHikari, too, but it's a bit overpriced in my opinion :)

Okay guys thanks Im going shopping today. Yes I guess I did miss understand, sorry. I will pick some bloodworms up today too. Frozen, lol

I always aim for a veggie source, a protein treat, and a staple diet. For me that's Repashy Super Green, NLS bloodworm pellets, and Paradigm Herbivore. I'll likely be rotating in something like SakiHikari, too, but it's a bit overpriced in my opinion :)

Could you link me to the Bloodworm Pellets, please? I have never heard of those.

I got NutrafinMax sinking pellets, its ALL I could find. I had to go to three pet stores to find them. I also got frozen blood worms. Along with a sarasa comet, 2 commons and a shubunkin, they are pretty big and I got them at a reasonable price too for the size they are. They are already at home, Im cleaning the tank tomorrow so I will post a video of them once its cleaned up a bit and decorated.

Could you link me to the Bloodworm Pellets, please? I have never heard of those.
Ahem. Long story ahoy!

:o

I had the NLS Betta food on hand when my main staple ran out and I only had Repashy Super Green left. I tried releasing a pinch of them below the water line and my fish went totally nuts for joy. And because of the scent and small size I felt I could control the volume of protein better than a larger food.

There are other ingredients besides just bloodworms, but they're inexpensive and have gone over smashingly here:

http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-formula-1-mm-semi-floating-pellets-50-g.html?utm_source=Google+Products&utm_campaign=Google+Products+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping&gclid=CPmlsvyAusUCFY6RfgodrEsAyQ

They're very krill heavy too, which I love for my guys. In fact my angelfish always tries to steal the NLS Betta formula as well!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Maybe I should pick up some krill and NLS. They loved the bloodworms, went crazy over them. Both fish tanks loved them.

Maybe I should pick up some krill and NLS. They loved the bloodworms, went crazy over them. Both fish tanks loved them.

The first ingredient in NLS is whole krill :)

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I find Hikari to be a great balance between quality and price. I also mix NLS in with it, but in a smaller proportion. Amazon is my paradise for fish related shopping. They have a much better variety and better prices than any place you can go to. I always make sure my order is over $35 and qualifies for free shipping.

Edited by DieselPlower

Personally, I really like the New Life Spectrum Thera-A and Hikari Lionhead 2mm sinking pellets. 

Do you soak the pellets in water first?

I don't soak the Hikari as it sinks immediately. I quickly stir the NLS in a cup of tank water for a few seconds to make it sink immediately.

Okay I will take a look at amazon, I do order from big al's when I have the cash for it. I can't find hikari anywhere so I guess its time to order at big als. I can't find NLS for goldfish, is it for goldfish, or is it for tropical??

Okay I will take a look at amazon, I do order from big al's when I have the cash for it. I can't find hikari anywhere so I guess its time to order at big als. I can't find NLS for goldfish, is it for goldfish, or is it for tropical??

I use the NLS Thera-A. It's not a specific goldfish frmulation, but for all fish. My mollies wouldn't touch it, but the new goldfish are LOVING it. I also feed Saki-Hikari (purple bag) but will stop if I notice too much yellow/orange staining on the white parts of the fish.

Okay thanks, I will get some, I know where. Good info here, I think Im going to order from Big Als. :thumbup2:

Another tip: Food for goldfish doesn't need to be labeled as 'Goldfish Food.' Not only does this give a larger realm of possibilities, it also allows us to balance the nutrition ourselves and feed the fish better than most goldfish foods.

Not a single one of my foods is a goldfish food - good point, Chelsea!

Okay thanks, I will get some, I know where. Good info here, I think Im going to order from Big Als. :thumbup2:

I definitely second the NLS Thera-A as your primary pellet.  Make sure to get the 1 mm pellet size.

Yes I think they have it at this store I go to I will check today. See if I can find it; Yes 1mm, for sure I will get that.

Yes I think they have it at this store I go to I will check today. See if I can find it; Yes 1mm, for sure I will get that.

It doesn't sink immediately, so I swirl it in a paper cup of tankwater for a few seconds before adding it to the tank :)