Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CourtneyandThunder

Feeding goldies

I have been doing some reading on how goldfish eat and they say to soak the food first is that right? Is sinking or floating the best? I don't have any floaters but was wondering is that because of how you feed them, it expands in their stomach if you don't soak it?? I just want to prevent floating.

Sinking Food is best, I've never soaked mine but it sinks to the bottom by the time they get it anyway :o

You don't necessarily have to soak food. There are many alternatives to that:

• Small Sinking Pellets - The smaller, the better. This is why we recommend the 1mm sized pellets. When they expand, they don't expand very large.
  • Gel foods - These are already moist, and move through a goldfish's digestive track very easily. 
  • Frozen foods - These are already moist as well. While it's usually only recommended as supplemental foods, there are some frozen complete diets out there.

The main thing that you need to worry about when preventing floating in goldfish is that the food should not float, even before soaking. The second thing is that the food should not contain fillers in the first few ingredients on its ingredient list.  The third thing is that you should not overfeed the fish. 

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks so much Chelsea that helped sooo much. I will get some sinking food. I have to start making gel foods too. Not good in the kitchen, lol But thanks a lot, I don't want floaters.

I have to start making gel foods too. Not good in the kitchen, lol But thanks a lot, I don't want floaters.

You don't have to create your own -- there are ready-to-make gel food diets that you literally just add water to.  Easy-peasy!  :thumbs:

http://tedsfishroom.com/repashy/

I agree with Chelsea in regards to getting smaller sinking pellets over purchasing the bigger ones.  My fish are on the big size and I still feed them the 1mm size of sinking pellets.  I take a small amount of food in my fingers/thumb and will hold it under water a few inches for a few seconds before releasing it for the fish to eat.  For some reason if I just drop the food on the surface of the water it won't sink fast enough.  My fish will start eating it while it floats. :(  (So I help the pellets sink faster)

Thanks so much, I liked that video, looks like the fish like the gel food, I might give it a go and make my own, won't hurt. Yes I have very small pellets but they float, have to get the sinking ones so Im looking into that. Oh I know what you mean goldies are piggies, every time I walk by they want FOOD, lol But yes I will get small sinking ones.

Edited by CourtneyandThunder

The powdered gel that DeeDee linked is what I use for my fish. They adore it. Right now they are on a mix of Repashy Soilent Green and NLS AlgaeGel, along with daily feedings of frozen bloodworms.

Edited by ChelseaM

I agree with Chelsea in regards to getting smaller sinking pellets over purchasing the bigger ones.  My fish are on the big size and I still feed them the 1mm size of sinking pellets.  I take a small amount of food in my fingers/thumb and will hold it under water a few inches for a few seconds before releasing it for the fish to eat.  For some reason if I just drop the food on the surface of the water it won't sink fast enough.  My fish will start eating it while it floats. :(  (So I help the pellets sink faster)

I had the same problem with pellets not sinking quickly, so I drop it over the waterfall that comes out of my filter.

The water shoots all the food down and the fish go looking for it at the bottom.

Thanks Chelsea, Im going to try it. Oh what a good idea to throw it in the filter water fall, will try that.

I had the same problem with pellets not sinking quickly, so I drop it over the waterfall that comes out of my filter.

The water shoots all the food down and the fish go looking for it at the bottom.

I do that with my Guppies :thumbs: