Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jim_D

Hikari compared to Aqua One Frozen Blood Worms

When I went to Sydney 10 days ago to pick up the four new goldfish I was able to drop into one of the larger

Sydney LFS's and purchase 40 packs (4 bricks) of Hikari frozen blood worms. They come in taped up

Styrofoam boxes.

My small country pet store only carries Aqua One brand and they stink, stink really bad like raw sewerage and

a lot of the 'worms' are just empty shells or half empty shells.

The Hikari frozen blood worms are a brilliant red, hardly any empty shells and the best part is they don't stink

and they are also a lot more convenient being in the push out a portion packaging style.

If you're in Australia (or wherever else they sell Aqua One) do yourself a favour and try and get your hands on

the Hikari brand of frozen bloodworms. The quality is incomparable to the cheaper Aqua One brand.

17385928322_3168073d67_o.jpg

I'll keep a lookout, I don't know what the brand is I usually get, but it's neither Hikari or Aqua One, I've never seen the Hikari ones

Edited by FishyMandy

my fish would spit water at me if i came at them with anything else :rofl

I buy Hikari, although one time my LFS was out and had to get Aqua One. When I got home and inspected them, I ended up throwing them out—they were really cheap so I didn't mind. By comparison they just felt like something was off.

Edited by dan in aus

Thanks for the info Jim.  I would not have thought there would be that big a difference in the quality of a frozen petfood.  I will definitely keep that in mind.

Where I am they I don't have access to frozen bloodworms.  I have just found these though, and they can be mailed :happydance . 

http://www.thetechden.com.au/OF_Ocean_Free_Insta_Fresh_Superior_Bloodworms_348g_p/qhu203.htm

They are Ocean Free Canned Bloodworms.  I haven't opened them yet.  I figured I would open them and freeze them in smaller portions.  They also claim there is not chance of parasite, bacteria, virus and fungus infection too.  Don't know if this is actually true or not.

Has anyone else tried them? 

They also have Artemia Brine Shrimp and Cylops.

never seen the hikari bloodworms here in the uk

That's terrible. Before I read, I looked at the photo and it made me cringe. No, those worms shouldn't ever come home with you. Eeeew.

Darn my LFS stocks aqua one too :(

Cost $6.50 a pack

Apparently one has to defrost it in tank water, and strain it prior to feeding it.

The other LFS stocks aquarium industries brand

Sigh will have to travel to melbourne with an esky and stock up on hikari

Darn my LFS stocks aqua one too :(

Cost $6.50 a pack

Apparently one has to defrost it in tank water, and strain it prior to feeding it.

The other LFS stocks aquarium industries brand

Sigh will have to travel to melbourne with an esky and stock up on hikari

See if they'll order you a box of Hikari the next time they get frozen foods in. They come 8 packets to a box, I think; at least that's what I've seen at my lfs.