Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frederickfirst

Fin Damage After Move

Hey everyone,

So I just finished my 3.5 move a couple days ago and my 3 orandas did okay. But I did notice 2 of them had split their tails. I didn't really think much of it but now there are a lot more. They are acting the same and eating very well. Could this be flukes from stress? Is extra clean water the key or do I need to treat?

Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone,

So I just finished my 3.5 move a couple days ago and my 3 orandas did okay. But I did notice 2 of them had split their tails. I didn't really think much of it but now there are a lot more. They are acting the same and eating very well. Could this be flukes from stress? Is extra clean water the key or do I need to treat?

Thanks everyone!

Since you just moved them, I would wait and see if the fins mend themselves with just clean water.  When did you last treat for Flukes?  Can we get pics of the splits?

Hi Jared,

Sorry for the delay, I just got my computer up and going so I can get you some pictures now.  I treated for flukes about 5 months ago. Here are the pictures I took last night.  My apologies for the pictures, it's harder than it looks taking pictures of fins. Haha. 

20150504_191138_resized_zpsyhqwmdbt.jpg

20150504_191002_resized_zps3cvj9shj.jpg

20150504_190949_resized_zpsbvriejm8.jpg

I would let them acclimate to the new tank for a week or so, keep the water pristine and then do a couple of rounds of Prazi.

Quick note: The very tip of my blue orandas tail is healing from awhile ago when it got stuck in the intake tube.  So, that is not new, its just the splits everywehere else.  Of course I don't want to treat if I dont have to, I just found it odd that even after I put them in the tank and had it all set up their tails kept spliting.  When I put them in the tank my Red and White Orandas tail only had one split on the bottom lobe of her tail and now as you can see she has a lot on the top lobe.  There is no behavior changes either.

Thank you!

Will do! Thanks for your time Jared.  You are very helpful and I really appreciate it:)

Have you tested your new water parameters?

Well I'm having an "oh crap" moment....

My husband moved before me so he tested the tap water before I came with the fish. He got pH= 8.2

A= 0.5

N= 0

NA= 0

My old tap water had a pH of 7.5 so I thought its no big deal, I'll do a drip acclimation and it will be good. I did the drip acclimation and have tested my water. My TANK water as of right now reads

pH=7.5

A=0

N=0

NA=5

BUT I retested my tap water to double check and now the pH of my tap is reading 8.8 or above! As of now my tank pH is great but how do I control this since my tap is really high?

Drift wood. I don't care for the buffer down and other products like that cause they are only temp fixes.  Driftwood well take a little longer but it well be a much longer fix.

Do you have a KH test kit?

I sure do. My tap water reads kH=5 drops (89.5) and gH=7 drops (125.3)

Does my kH change anything? Drift wood still the best option?

What long fins your fish have.  I hope they heal fast for you.  Your fish is gorgeous.

Pretty fish! I hope their fins heal up soon.

Does my kH change anything? Drift wood still the best option?

I would actually try to get your tank's KH up to 100-150 by adding baking soda.  This will bring your tank pH up a bit closer to that of your tap water.  I don't think you want to use driftwood as it will lower your tank pH thus expanding the gap between your tank and tap pH.  You will find a link about pH and KH and baking soda under my signature :)

Okay so I'm trying to get my facts correct. Adding baking soda will raise my kH to be closer to my tap but what do I do about the huge pH difference? My tank is at 7.4 but my tap water reads well over the highest pH range. I may be confusing myself with all this so I just want to get it right. What exactly do I need to do with water changes to not shock my fish? Thanks everyone. My apologies for my confusion.

Okay so I'm trying to get my facts correct. Adding baking soda will raise my kH to be closer to my tap but what do I do about the huge pH difference? My tank is at 7.4 but my tap water reads well over the highest pH range. I may be confusing myself with all this so I just want to get it right. What exactly do I need to do with water changes to not shock my fish? Thanks everyone. My apologies for my confusion.

The baking soda will raise your tank KH which will in turn raise your tank pH some and buffer/prevent it from crashing.  

Perfect. Now I'm up to speed. One more question, how fast can you raise kH and pH? Thanks again Jared.

You don't want to raise the pH more than 0.5 at a time.  You'll want to look at the chart in this thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

to determine about how much baking soda to add based on your tank size and your current KH/pH.  Let me know if you have questions . . . .  The baking soda will raise your pH to a max of about 8.2-8.3 but that will bring you much much closer to your tap and allow for larger WCs without the shocking drop in pH.  :D

Thank you fantailfan1.  I added the baking soda according to the chart you guys gave me last night. My fish were acting sluggish for awhile. They were just drifting around with water flow but this morning they are acting normal.  I will test my water again today just to make sure. 

Okay I tested my tank water this morning.

I got kH of 6 drops (107.4)

PH of 7.4

Ammonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=5

So the baking soda did raise my kH but did not change my pH. Is this okay? Does this mean I need to do smaller more frequent water changes vs. larger water changes so I. Don't shock them? Just when I thought I was getting the hang of goldfish...haha. Moving was way harder than I thought;)

That's crazy. Will you test the pH again please?  And check tap pH also.  At least the KH is cooperating.   :rofl3

This is why I made Lisa take over :rofl

This is why I made Lisa take over :rofl

:bat:

:pp