Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
aquabubbles

Building My First Pond (a sort of journal)

8 posts in this topic

I am very excited to be building my first pond! A fish pond has been a dream of mine for a long time and it's great to see it finally happening. I have a spot in the yard already leveled out and ready to start digging. It's a nice spot that gets a good amount of sunlight throughout the day along with partial shading from trees. 

I'm purchasing a preformed pond liner from someone on Craigslist, this is the listing photo:

00v0v_7KXEh8TcHlW_600x450.jpg

These are the dimensions given: 41" wide x 57" long x 19" deep. (Anyone know gallons for that?)

It's only $100 which I don't think is a bad price. 

If all goes well I'll be picking it up this weekend!!! So exciting!!!!

I will continue to update this with lots of progress photos :)

Woohoo! I'll be "tuning in"! I'd like to have a nice little pond area someday!! :pond

There are a lot of those around. I think it's 60 gallons -- big enough for 3 fish. I've seen them in Lowes/HD but apparently they don't carry them anymore. I'm sure the price new was less than $100, so I assume they are including extras like a pump and filter.

Whoa rip off alert!

Definitely a rip off. I'd look somewhere else or barter with someone else. New price for one of those is likely $80.00 or less. If you're willing to pay $100 ish, I would look for a laguna ponds dealer in your area and ask if they'll order in one of the larger heavy duty preformed ponds. I got mine (51x32x18) for a little over $100, and it holds 127 gallons according to the volume calculators.  

Good luck! :) 

I *think* it's similar dimensions to mine. Mine's a bit longer but also has shelves and about the same width and depth. Mine's over 100 gallons but Sharon's probably right for this one. I'd just stock it lightly if you're unsure :)

I think you can make a cute little pond out of that but you may want to make another larger one in the future (I know I did) lol

Here is a calculator to help you figure out how many gallons in the pond http://www.thepondwarehouse.com/pond/pond-calculator.html

When I put the numbers in I got closer to 150 gallons but definitely check it out for yourself. 

Those calculations won't work for an irregularly shaped pond.  You can do it in pieces, but you have to have more measurements than the maximum length width and depth.