Kate89

Kate's first fry

Ah Spring!

love is in the air :teehee

Ah Spring!

love is in the air :teehee

It certainly is!  :ehh

Day 9 28/04/15

Not much to report today, everyone from the first batch is active and eating well. The younger fry from the second batch are now readily eating their BBS.

6fd4da99-5f59-4faa-9477-c1ccd7e2e419_zps

47e1365d-6a06-4bb6-84d6-b8bf665ae6ea_zps

Looking at the fry against a darker background shows their colours, some are a bit darker than others.

caf78890-deee-4847-92e3-ff9d2c10eca8_zps

Starting to think about upgrading their accommodation. I'm thinking of a large shallow sterilite tub thing, and then maybe introduce a filter and an airstone when they're a bit bigger and stronger. I'm very open to suggestions if anyone has any :)

Day 12 01/05/15

The fry are becoming more active and much more charismatic now. They all have little tails and teeny tiny pectoral fins. They are smaller compared to fry of a similar age that I've seen in other threads, so I'm starting to think that I may need to feed more frequently and/or think about upgrading their accommodation sooner rather than later. 

With regards to numbers, I've had two losses over the last couple of days, one in the main batch and one in the second batch. So that brings me to 43 in the main batch and 8 in the second batch, so 51 overall.

Main batch:

31b6c9c7-88c6-4188-9e15-e96e8cd7fb64_zps

Second (Crumpets) batch, it's day 7 for them:

a6e8bab3-859e-4c66-850e-edbe810ec7d3_zps

And here's a poor quality video of them in their tub in the main tank!

So teeny!

They really are Susanne, they're going to have to get their grow on if they want to upgrade from the tupperware box anytime soon!

I'm not an expert but I can tell you that my fry turn orange from the bbs that I feed them. How much are you feeding them? I feed mine twice a day.

I'm not an expert but I can tell you that my fry turn orange from the bbs that I feed them. How much are you feeding them? I feed mine twice a day.

Yes mine have little orange bellies after eating BBS. I'm feeding BBS 2-3 times a day.

Day 15 04/05/15

Both batches are in the same tub now, just to make life easier for me. Their little tails are looking more defined now and they're starting to look more like actual fish! I've had two losses over the past few days so that brings numbers to 49. I've put a few algae-covered java fern leaves in their tub from the main tank, so that they can nibble on the algae in-between meals. 

Whilst in the main tank, there has been more spawning going on. I've had to resist temptation and leave the eggs in there. Will they ever stop?! 

Day 16 05/05/15

The babies got their first taste of gel food yesterday (Repashy Spawn and Grow). It's a good way of providing food throughout the day, in between their BBS meals, so hopefully I should start seeing some better growth. I just have to make sure I keep on top of the water quality.

f7cd4d4b-54ca-4e38-a7d2-9977f479584e_zps

Day 18 07/05/15

The fry have finally been upgraded to a large shallow storage tub. I will be going away visiting family tonight until Sunday so felt that I should give the fry a larger volume of water before I go.

Day 22 11/05/15

Bad news. I returned home last night to find most of the fry dead. Reasons for this I think may include deteriorating water quality due to no water changes while I was away for a few days, and possibly lack of water movement/surface agitation; I didn't have time to buy an air pump before I went away, and now I'm kicking myself.

I have 12 fry remaining, quite a few of which aren't looking great so I reckon I'll be lucky if I end up with any viable fry. They now have an airstone. 

53841c1a-47fd-4642-9fb8-728817273f45_zps

Oh no! :rip:, little fry. I hope the twelve you have left are going to be okay!

Day 23 12/05/15

And then there were five...

e39199f8-a54c-4f41-b9bf-a33004e2634c_zps

e005dda4-04eb-4d98-a872-4473b399c711_zps

482b76ce-9479-420a-82f8-820d9a12c6c4_zps

And a good size comparison video (it's not a huge thermometer, it's a tiny fry  :teehee )...

It looks like the remaining fry were the smallest, so these would have been from the second batch, Crumpets babies. They must be made of tougher stuff than Jeremys! 

I'm glad some are doing well. 

I'm glad some are doing well. 

Me too Susanne, what a disaster  :doh11:

Hang in there, little guys!

Oh wow, losing so many to water quality is tough, I'm sorry :(

Congratulations on the remaining few! Hang in there, little guys!

Oh my only 5 left! Good luck with the little fry!

Day 27 16/05/15

So after losing 4 more fry, I am now down to just one. He has been living the bachelor life in his giant tub, complete with airstone, heater and duckweed, for the past few days and it seems to be suiting him! Tbh I was fully expecting him to die as well, but he seems to be thriving, he's active and eats well so it's looking like he may be the lone survivor of the fry apocalypse :flex:

Only problem is that his tail doesn't seem to be developing too well, in fact he doesn't appear to have much of a tail at all. I'll see how it develops, but it doesn't look right to me.  

387d4a39-0d91-4e65-8f5d-79693ba1e268_zps

406d4064-e978-4acd-8330-2126affc48fa_zps

84a78147-52c2-4d5a-8040-4942cac988c6_zps

He's clearly inherited the 'feed me dance' from his parents :lol

Also should probably mention that he would be about 20 days old, not 27, as he was from the second batch. Will amend the date in future entries. 

Aww. I think you've got a tough little survivor. Hope he continues to do well!

Okay, he needs a name, officially, for being such a tough little guy. Super Squirt?

Or Rudder, for his tail?

I'm so sorry for all of your losses.  That must have been hard.

Seems like you have a fighter from you first batch. :) 

Okay, he needs a name, officially, for being such a tough little guy. Super Squirt?

Or Rudder, for his tail?

Haha, I'm not going to name him yet, don't want to jinx him. But I'll defo put those names at the top of the list for when I do, more suggestions welcome :lol