Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kate89

Kate's first fry

You'll all be glad to see that I've finally made a fry thread! A designated place for all my fry obsessing! :lol

For those who have managed to avoid my fry spam, I'll start my fry story from the beginning... I returned home a few days ago after being abroad for a month, to find that my female oranda, had a large hole in her tail. That evening, after awakening from my jet-lag, I noticed that the tank was covered in eggs! Their first eggs! How exciting!

Many of the eggs I could see were white, but there were a few transparent looking ones stuck to the heater and the filter intake tube which I managed to gently brush into a tupperware box. I managed to collect 11 eggs, all with two black eyes in them, I was fascinated! I left the tupperware box floating in the main tank so as to maintain the temperature of the water.

2c213ad7-bb61-442c-a7b4-485334f4c98b_zps

04cad81d-f981-4822-bf14-794fa4cc9c3e_zps

My make-shift hatchery!

72a09f81-da30-4d2d-b5c4-f0befab6746d_zps

The next morning I went and bought some baby brine shrimp, just incase they hatched. And sure enough, when I got home, I had one teeny tiny hatchling, and shortly afterwards another egg hatched right in front of me.

Day 1 20/04/15

First hatchling...

ea9233ac-f459-43e2-9bd5-94b53e480b8e_zps

Second hatchling...

b738e961-37dc-4f85-a77e-6d1e4399a485_zps

Throughout the day, more eggs hatched. I decided to do a water change on the main tank, and during the process found that it was teeming with teeny tiny fry! So a rescue operation ensued, which eventually resulted in me having around 30 fry in my tupperware box, which was far more than I expected!

74348915-0974-4460-83e5-5159424e1b5e_zps

Day 2 21/04/15

Another day, another fry rescue operation! I now had around 40 fry. Some were starting to become 'free swimming', and were showing interest in the baby brine shrimp.

Day 3 22/04/15

Today lots of them are free swimming, and look to have grown little swim bladders. You can actually see them eating the BBS. I just can't believe how quickly they've developed. At today's count I have around 46 fry (please someone who can count better than I can correct me!), I won't be rescuing anymore from the main tank, my tupperware box is at capacity!!

d69df6f9-d78d-4850-8094-fea450bd42d4_zps

Day 4 23/04/15

They're looking more active today, nearly all of them are free swimming!

In the main tank, there has been more spawning behaviour going on. Both males have been chasing my female relentlessly, so I took the largest male out to give her a break. Shortly after, she released eggs, which means that these would definitely be Matcha and Crumpets babies. I'm in a bit of a dilemma now as to whether I rescue these eggs... I'm really stuck for room in our little flat so it's wouldn't really be feasible... if I only I had a pond!! 

Thanks for reading, I'll be sure to keep you all updated! :D

The parents...

I have three goldfish in my tank, one female and two males. So the mother is a certain, but there's still a question mark over the father, both males are currently sporting breeding stars and are in full spawning mode so I'm hoping there's a mixture of both of them in there. It will be a nice surprise to see how the fry turn out.

The mother, Matcha, the calico oranda...

E143B212-25CE-4C95-A0F5-C6652CC5F55D_zps

Possible father number one, Jeremy the fantail...

B817D879-0CFE-4589-AF3C-6E42EE1A44AF_zps

Possible father number two, Crumpet, my little ranchu (this photo isn't very recent, he's a bit bigger now)...

67e8f8d9-d81a-4725-be6b-95b876885501_zps

Apologies for the huge pictures, they looked smaller on my iPad  :hmm

Ah so cute! Beautiful parents too :D I can't wait to see how they turn out. Good luck!

They are going to be beautiful babies!

Super exciting! :clapping:

I hope Crumpet's genes come through on a few. :teehee:heart

Oh Boy..... :panana

Nice picture log of all the fry events...parents...eggs...hatching...just hatched.  Neat to see and to look back on later.  They should be beautiful babies...congratulations!  Keep the picture updates coming :).

Love the parents and I cant wait to see what the fry will look like :D

Great photos! Congrats on all your little ones!

Thanks for the comments everyone :D

Ah so cute! Beautiful parents too :D I can't wait to see how they turn out. Good luck!

The parents say thank you! They can't wait either! :lol

They are going to be beautiful babies!

I hope so Suzanne, their mum is a bit of a stunner so hopefully they'll take after her :)

Super exciting! :clapping:
I hope Crumpet's genes come through on a few. :teehee:heart

Me too! Don't tell Jeremy, but Crumpet is my favourite, so I've got my fingers crossed. Some calico chu babies would be adorable, but I'm not sure if that's how it works.

Oh Boy..... :panana

Thanks for my jelly bean Koko! I'm so excited! It's like  :newfish  x 46!! 

Nice picture log of all the fry events...parents...eggs...hatching...just hatched.  Neat to see and to look back on later.  They should be beautiful babies...congratulations!  Keep the picture updates coming :).

Glad you like the thread Kayla, I was worried that I'd bore everyone with the details, so good to hear you enjoyed it! I'll keep the pics coming   :)

Love the parents and I cant wait to see what the fry will look like :D

Me too!  :pianobanana

Great photos! Congrats on all your little ones!

Thank you! There's lots more pics to come :D

Day 5 24/04/15

Everyone is free swimming today, and to me they look visibly bigger than yesterday.

363f5fd9-7004-4fcb-aef9-6cfe5198fd4f_zps

They're all so hungry as well, they're like proper goldfish now! You can actually see them eat the BBS, and then see their little bellies turn orange  :P

The big one in the video is one of the greediest, you can see all the orange BBS in his/her belly.

And here's one of them in their tub in the main tank, just for size comparison!

I was going to make a thread but yours can be mine since they're only a day apart and would look exactly the same. :lol

This thread is secretly Kate and Cat's first fry. :rofl2

Edited by Chai

These are such awesome photos! :heart I love all this fry business right now!

I was going to make a thread but yours can be mine since they're only a day apart and would look exactly the same. :lol

This thread is secretly Kate and Cat's first fry. :rofl2

Sorry to steal your thunder Cat!

When they start looking different you should start a thread then, for now they're just generic lines with eyes that dart around a bit :lol

These are such awesome photos! :heart I love all this fry business right now!

Thanks Chelsea :D I'm absolutely fascinated by the whole thing. I keep sending pics to my non-fishy friends and they all think I'm mad  :rofl

Shoot, you don't need to apologize for big photo's.  We/I love them.  The parents of your fry are beautiful.  Congrats on all your fry.  

Love your new babies!!!

Sounds like you are having fun.

Congrats.

Ahahahaha you're definitely not stealing my thunder! :lol

I like our generic little wiggly things. I found one of mine only has one eye, the unconventional fry.

Great thread, love all the pics! Best of luck raising them. Based on the parents, I'm sure you're going to have some nice fish from the spawn.

Ahahahaha you're definitely not stealing my thunder! :lol

I like our generic little wiggly things. I found one of mine only has one eye, the unconventional fry.

Cyclops fry! I hope he/she makes it to be a grown up fish, so many name possibilities... :teehee

Great thread, love all the pics! Best of luck raising them. Based on the parents, I'm sure you're going to have some nice fish from the spawn.

Thank you! I do hope so :)

Day 6 25/04/15

Noticing some disparities in size between fry now, and also one that looks a bit crooked. All looking active and hungry though.

a23df12e-94a2-445e-9c8b-66637cfd62c1_zps

Also... I've been a bit naughty... this morning I found that I had several tiny fry in the main tank, they must have been from the second spawn, Crumpet's batch. I decided that this was a birthday present from the fish so it would be rude not to accept it!

So I now have 9 Crumpet x Matcha birthday babies in a separate tupperware tub (Baz is going to be upset when there's nothing to put his lunch in tomorrow  :rofl)...

09327c5e-91ed-4995-a955-f5a3e0c2e5e8_zps

Day 8 27/04/15

Look at all my little wigglers! The first batch are getting big! I've had my first two losses in this batch, they were the two that were very small and crooked, so it's no surprise. I now have 44 fry in this batch. There's a couple more that are on the smaller side, so we'll see how they go. The second batch are 2 days old now and are mostly free swimming.

1c17398b-6c3f-4f01-8dce-7ca9a1437ba2_zps

There's more chasing going on in the main tank today  :doh11: , no more fry for me, and this time I really mean it!!

Edited by Kate89