Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishgirl82

Bottom Sitting... Tired from spawning or are flukes back?

About a month or so ago I did 4 rounds of Prazi on my main goldfish tank. I just did a water change on Friday because I felt like the fish were bottom sitting more than normal. They seemed to perk up a bit after that, but today a couple of them are bottom sitting again. There has been quite a bit of spawning behavior in the tank recently as well. So, what I am wondering is, could they be tired from that or is it possible the flukes never went away fully? I never bleached the pump I used to drain the tank or the tubing. But, I let them air dry in between uses. Should I have disinfected or is air drying enough? When the fish bottom sit they are just sort of hovering in the corner together near the bottom, but when I come close to the tank they immediately perk up and do the "feed me dance." I added a brand new canister filter on April 6th to replace one I had taken off to start another tank, but there was one left running on the tank the whole time -- also there was NO cycle bump from doing this, I made sure to test after. I don't think this made any difference but wanted to mention it.

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)  20
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) After the filter I put it through, before the water conditioner, it is 0.25. 
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)  0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 80F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 100 gallons - two years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aquaTop cf400, one has been running 1 year, one since April 6th
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?  every 7-10 days, 35%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last Friday, 35%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 goldfish - two 4", two 3.5", one 2.5" not including tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Ultimate Water Conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Green, Brown, Red seaweed; New Era Goldfish Pellets; NLS Algae pellets; frozen blood worms; frozen daphnia; spinich; peas; NLS goldfish pellets; san francisco bay frozen glass worms. I feed some variation of these foods 3x a day in small portions.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Aqua Prazi was added from Feb. 19 - Mar. 15 for a total of 4 rounds. There was a very minimum of salt in there at the time. 0.05%. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not on most of the fish, though the fins have some small tears. But these may be from spawning behavior. See the photos below of the one fish with odd looking marks. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting is the only strange behavior I'm concerned about. 

Below is Lacey. Her tail concerns me a bit. Not the huge rip at the bottom -- that has been there since the beginning of the flukes when it tore and never healed correctly. I'm more concerned with what looks like possible specks on there. I'm not sure if you can see them, but they are more visible in the two other pics. Do these look like additional scars or something to do with flukes?

IMG_3338_zpsek6qofjm.jpg

IMG_3327_zps4kinefpd.jpg

IMG_3337_zpsp5qegmts.jpg

Meds that I have on hand: Aqua Prazi, Metronidazole powder, quinine sulfate, dimilin. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Can I ask why your WCs are so small? 

Also, how did they react past round 2 of Prazi? Were they exhibiting normal behavior or still showing symptoms of being irritated by the medicine?

Two reasons, I have to make my water in buckets before putting it in the tank because straight out of the tap is not safe to put in the tank. Too much ammonia in the tap. I only have enough buckets for 40 gallons at a time. Two, I'm trying to conserve water because of the drought and they have usually done good with that size water change. 

They only showed signs of irritation with round one and two of Prazi, then they seemed normal after that. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Also (on the WC front), if I'm 100% honest, I'm trying to keep up with regular/frequent WC's on 6 aquariums at the moment and it's getting to be a bit overwhelming... 

Understandable. :) 

If they haven't shown signs of irritation, i don't think that the flukes came back. While it's definitely a possibility, I am not sure if it is likely.

On the WC front, though: Do you wipe the glass each WC? 

Not every surface, just the front and two sides. My snails take care of that for me. I wiped it down after the prazi treatment pretty good because it had built up some diatoms and then I did all sides and the bottom. I bought a brand new scrubbie for it though because I didn't want to use one that might have been contaminated. 

If you mean the outside I just wet a rag and wipe it with water. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I mean the inside. :)

I am only wondering because your fish with the tail problems has a long tail. From my experience, long tails are more prone to brushing over surfaces, which makes little bacterial bumps on the fins. This could also be due to the sitting. 

How's their behavior today?

They're mostly swimming around. Lacey, the one in the photos, is hiding in the large ceramic pot I have in the tank to get away from the two males who keep chasing her. If I go over she comes out to see if I have food. They seem a bit more active today than they did a few days ago, which is good. When I came into the room they're in this morning only one was doing any sort of bottom sitting and that was her. She seems to be the worst one with this, but she also is the only one I have who has floaty issues as well. Maybe part of that? 

I usually scrub down the bottom of the tank about once every 4-6 weeks if it looks dirty. Mostly because it's hard to reach down in there with my arthritic hands and back. If you think it needs to be done more I could probably buy a longer scrub-brush and try to do it more often. 

If she's the worst one, and is being chased, I wonder if this has to do the most with her being tired. Spawning can be very hard on females. If you feel like she is getting too tired and the males are being too aggressive, you could float a plastic colander in the tank and let her have a rest in there.  

The spots on her tail aren't too bad, and likely will go away with clean water and time. I personally don't treat anything for them other than clean water, and they go away on their own. 

As always, though, if a Mod has a suggestion I'd listen to that over me.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks for all your help Chelsea. I think it probably has a lot to do with the spawning. The other one that has been sitting a bit is one of the males that is doing the chasing. He doesn't have any spots on his tail. I haven't had as much time to watch them today as usual, I was feeling ill today and spent most of it laying in bed. I'm going to try and up their water changes to every 5-7 days instead of every 7-10 days... but it will depend a lot on how well I'm feeling. My boyfriend thinks he may have figured out a less physically demanding way for me to do the water changes so that I can do them more often, (and it will be more water conservation friendly). It will take some time to save up the money for the equipment, but it'll be worth it. :)

I think I've come to the conclusion that the reason for the bottom sitting might have more to do with temperature than anything else. I removed the male who was doing the most chasing and put him in a separate tank with other males. I added two fish who were in that tank into the big tank and it's helped the dynamics as far as the one female being over-chased. The water parameters are pretty much the same, but the nitrates have risen slightly because I am due to change the water today or tomorrow. What I'm now finding is it's been hotter the last few days and they have been doing more bottom sitting again, but I think it's that, and maybe that played into it the first time and I just didn't notice :idont . This tank, for some reason, gets the highest temperature readings in the apartment. I think it has the least amount of air flow. I have added some fans to my windows to blow more cool air in from outside, but am thinking of getting some clip on types to put over the top of the tank and run them during the day with the tops open and see if it helps. Their tank water has risen from being around 78F to 81F since Monday. If it does not cool off soon I will turn on the air conditioning and crank it up enough to bring their temps back down at least to 78F. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82