Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hi,

This is one of my new fish bought today from our LFS.  I didn't notice until we came home, but I think he may have ick?  Can anyone confirm this for me please?

I have him in a QT tank with the other fish I picked up today, a pearlscale.  They were both in the same bag from the shop, so I did not bother to QT them separately as I figured that they would both have the same pathogens now. 

How do I proceed with the QT procedure for them both? 

Do I salt and treat for ick?  or just treat for ick, and when it is gone salt and prazi? 

Do you have a link for ick treatment?

this is a photo

amp%20Co%20Ick_zps3cyet3co.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4  kh55 gh250 approx.
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4  kh55 gh250 approx.

• Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit
      • * Water temperature? 22degrees Celsius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 4 gal. Newly disinfected yesterday and set up for QT to start today.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua One Air Filter Cartridge for up to 26L
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?  Will do daily and percentage as required to keep below 0.15ppm and daily test ammonia levels.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, disinfected tank and added new water & prime for QT
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 both about 5-6cm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Nutrifin  Max Flakes small pinch morning and night, the food is all gone before it hits the bottom of the tank, and it is gone in less than a min.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes both are new as of this afternoon.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? None
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None yet
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? grains of salt???
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  Both eating well and alert, no abnormal behaviour so far.  But they have only been in the tank for two hours.
Edited by Ree

Hi, congratulations on the new fish; he's a cutie!

I'm not so sure that I see any ich there, but I'm looking on a very small screen, so I'll leave that to the others.  If it is ich, it is easily remedied with salt, heat, and time.  

I think you will have a much easier time QTing two fish if you have them in a container larger than four gallons.  Do you have anything between 10-15 gallons lying around?  Foodsafe storage containers, like Sterilite bins, can also be used.  They're very inexpensive to buy, and hold up well as temporary "tanks". :)

Good luck with your new little guys!

Hi, congratulations on the new fish; he's a cutie!

I'm not so sure that I see any ich there, but I'm looking on a very small screen, so I'll leave that to the others.  If it is ich, it is easily remedied with salt, heat, and time.  

I think you will have a much easier time QTing two fish if you have them in a container larger than four gallons.  Do you have anything between 10-15 gallons lying around?  Foodsafe storage containers, like Sterilite bins, can also be used.  They're very inexpensive to buy, and hold up well as temporary "tanks". :)

Good luck with your new little guys!

Thanks Yafashelli,  I had a quick look tonight (we got home late) and I don't have one here.  I will try to see if my parents in law have one in the morning.  Otherwise I might be able to separate them into two containers, but they seem really happy together.  I don't want to stress them further by separating them if I can help it.  I will see what I can find.  I am happy to change the water as often as I need to if it is a little smaller than the 10gal.  I have a lovely big tank cycling for them at the moment, but I couldn't afford the meds they might need for QT in a tank that big!  Thanks for the tip about the bigger tank out of a container.  Your input is appreciated!

It does look like he might have ich, although the resolution on my screen is not great.  As Tammy said, salt, heat and time will take care of the ich.

Here is the salt tutorial -http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

It does look like he might have ich, although the resolution on my screen is not great.  As Tammy said, salt, heat and time will take care of the ich.

Here is the salt tutorial -http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Hi Motherredcap,

Thankyou for that.  Ill start him on the treatment tomorrow, or should I wait 24hours to let him settle in first?  I have a heater which I can use, so the heat is no problem.

Hi Motherredcap,

Thankyou for that.  Ill start him on the treatment tomorrow, or should I wait 24hours to let him settle in first?  I have a heater which I can use, so the heat is no problem.

I'd start it right away ^^. I noticed the day after I got my newest fish that she had ich. Always best to start the treatment ASAP I think.

Since you will want to bring the salt slowly up to .3% for ich, there is no harm starting to raise the salinity slowly today to .1% and seeing what the moderators say.   I second what Tammy said about finding something around 10 gallons (even a plastic tub) to treat them in.  Makes measuring easier too! :)

Hi Motherredcap,

I'd start it right away ^^. I noticed the day after I got my newest fish that she had ich. Always best to start the treatment ASAP I think.

Ill start on it right now then!  I will put the heater in tonight and raise the temp 1 degree from what it is now, and then if I get up in the night, ill raise it another degree.  I have the salt here, so ill do it right away!  Thanks so much for the help Mandy!  How long did it take to clear from your fish?

Since you will want to bring the salt slowly up to .3% for ich, there is no harm starting to raise the salinity slowly today to .1% and seeing what the moderators say.   I second what Tammy said about finding something around 10 gallons (even a plastic tub) to treat them in.  Makes measuring easier too! :)

Thanks so much Motherredcap!  Ill see what I can sort out for them tankwise tomorrow, but ill start raising the salt and temp a little now so I can get rid of the ick before it starts to affect pOdge!  Thanks again!

It can take a bit of time, because of the life cycle of the organism.  My new fish came in with a mild case (looked much like yours) and while the first dots went away within the first couple of days, new ones kept appearing for a couple of weeks. 

It can take a bit of time, because of the life cycle of the organism.  My new fish came in with a mild case (looked much like yours) and while the first dots went away within the first couple of days, new ones kept appearing for a couple of weeks. 

Ok so its looking like they will be in QT for probably about 6-8weeks then.  Can I do the prazi while I'm doing the ick treatment, or will that be too much for the fish?

That looks like ich to me.  Go ahead and bring salt up to 0.3% and heat to 78-80*.  You will continue like that until about 10 days after you see the last spot of ich.

Which prazi do you have?  :idont

That looks like ich to me.  Go ahead and bring salt up to 0.3% and heat to 78-80*.  You will continue like that until about 10 days after you see the last spot of ich.

Which prazi do you have?  :idont

I have Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets 100mg praziquantel.  I have 100 tablets.

I have also upped the aeration rate.

Edited by Ree

I have just checked on them.  So far I added the 0.1% salt 2 hours ago, and installed the heater and took it from 22deg celcius to 23 deg celcius over the two hours.  So far they are handling it like troopers!  Hopefully it will all be this easy. :please  

I have to go to sleep now, but Ill check in first thing in the morning when I wake up to see what you recommend about the prazi I have.

Thanks again for all your help and support!  It has made this so so so much easier and less stressful!

You can treat with the prazi along with the 0.3% salt.  Do you have any antibiotics on hand in case of secondary bacterial infection?  :idont

Just seconding a larger QT tank if possible, salt at 0.3% and the temp up to 26 C.  Good luck :)

You can treat with the prazi along with the 0.3% salt.  Do you have any antibiotics on hand in case of secondary bacterial infection?  :idont

Morning Fantailfan1,  I have some Kanaplex, but have nothing else in the line of antibiotics.  I couldn't find any metro here in Australia :no:, and where I live is remote, so it takes 5-9 days for even overnight postal service!

Just seconding a larger QT tank if possible, salt at 0.3% and the temp up to 26 C.  Good luck :)

Thanks Jared, Ill look into a bigger container it this morning.  I've upped their dose of salt to 0.2% about half an hour ago, and they are coping no problems.  They have had their breakfast, and ill keep increasing the temp of the tank slowly over the day, then ill do a water change tonight (keeping the water at 0.2%) and then a couple of hours later add the extra salt to bring it up to 0.3%. 

How much is the max I can increase the temp in how much time?  I notice the salt treatment thread said 1degree per hour.... but is that in Fahrenheit?  What is it in Celsius?

Morning Fantailfan1,  I have some Kanaplex, but have nothing else in the line of antibiotics.  I couldn't find any metro here in Australia :no:, and where I live is remote, so it takes 5-9 days for even overnight postal service!

I also have some wardleys promethyasul on hand too.  My parents in law are going to town today, so I can get them to get anything you might recommend from the pet shop in town (if they have it), but I would need to know in the next hour or so before they leave.  Thanks so much for the help.  It is appreciated!

Thanks Jared, Ill look into a bigger container it this morning.  I've upped their dose of salt to 0.2% about half an hour ago, and they are coping no problems.  They have had their breakfast, and ill keep increasing the temp of the tank slowly over the day, then ill do a water change tonight (keeping the water at 0.2%) and then a couple of hours later add the extra salt to bring it up to 0.3%. 

How much is the max I can increase the temp in how much time?  I notice the salt treatment thread said 1degree per hour.... but is that in Fahrenheit?  What is it in Celsius?

I would just turn the heater knob up one click daily until you reach 26 C.

The Kanaplex is great to have on hand in case you need an antibiotic.

I would just turn the heater knob up one click daily until you reach 26 C.

The Kanaplex is great to have on hand in case you need an antibiotic.

Hi Jared,

Thanks so much for the temp info. 

My parents in law are picking up some Blue Planet Tri-Sulfa Tablets 15 (Sulfadazine, Sulfadimidine, Sulfamerazine) for me today too.  Can I treat with that with the salt? or do I have to reduce the salt before I treat with trisulfa?   I wont treat unless needed obviously... just wanted to be prepared. 

Yes, antibiotics are fine with salt.

Thanks so much!  Ill see what happens over the next 24 hours then. 

Should I be contacting the pet shop to tell them that the fish I got has ick?  or should I just leave it?  They are a really small shop, and are lovely people, but I don't know wether to say anything or not.  I will probably have to buy more fish there, and supplies, so I don't want to make it uncomfortable.  They seem to know a little more about tropical fish, but not so much about goldfish.  More old school ideas, you know like 7 comets will live quite happily in a 100L tank.

Thanks so much!  Ill see what happens over the next 24 hours then. 

Should I be contacting the pet shop to tell them that the fish I got has ick?  or should I just leave it?  They are a really small shop, and are lovely people, but I don't know wether to say anything or not.  I will probably have to buy more fish there, and supplies, so I don't want to make it uncomfortable.  They seem to know a little more about tropical fish, but not so much about goldfish.  More old school ideas, you know like 7 comets will live quite happily in a 100L tank.

Sok Jared, I ended up ringing them, just to let them know to keep an eye out.  They were a little funny with me on the phone to begin with (funny isn't the right word, slightly defensive?), but when I explained that I wanted to let them know because I didn't want someone else to be cranky with them for selling them a sick fish (and that I couldn't see it in the shop lighting either), they were fine.  They have gone to check their tanks more thoroughly now. 

Hi, Just an update.

Moved the pOdge and Louie to a slightly bigger QT tank.  This one is 19L instead of 12L.  Unfortunately that was the biggest one my father in law could find today.   So they have all clean water, and I moved them over very very carefully by hand to eliminate as much of the water getting from the old tank to the new tank.  I could not see any ick on Louie today, but I will have another look closer in the morning. 

The day was hotter today, so the tank is now sitting at 26 degrees celcius, and I will bring the water up from 0.2% to 0.3% salt tomorrow morning.  They were due to have it done tonight, but I thought that moving them into their new tank was stress enough... for all of us.   So ill up the salt in the morning, and I am confident that the ammonia level is 0ppm now, so they should not be ammonia stressing.

Just another question I have.  Is just washing your hands in soapy water and rinsing really really well then drying them thoroughly enough to stop the ick transfer between tanks when doing things like hand feeding?  I don't want my other babies to get ick!  Im not using shared equipment, except a shared air pump, but the lines are all separate.

Edited by Ree