Kokos Goldfish Forum
SageBear

New oranda with white eggs in inflamed gills?

Ow ow ow, that new picture makes the poor fish look even more uncomfortable. Poor baby :(

Can you check to see if your LFS carries Kanamycin and Metronidazole.  They may be called Kanaplex and Metroplex.  You are looking for the powder.  If not, ask what antibiotics they have and let us know.

How many fish are in the tank?  I would isolate him . . .

There are two, and I would like to isolate him cause I'm afraid of bullying, I've seen some nudging, but I do not have a divider right now and I'm afraid the other little guy is too little to go into the tank with my big guy. Big guy is about 5" just body, little one is <2" including tail. 

Lfs is closed right now, they have a fairly extensive antibiotic section and I'm kicking myself but I really can't remember if those were two I saw there. 

They had 5-7 little boxes of actual antibiotics with scientific names like the tetracycline etc, on top of the regular primi/mela fix.

I mean isolate as in his own tank.

I know, I meant the divider to keep the other little guy safe from the big guy in the larger tank. Right now I have a large fantail in the 30 and 2 teeny little guys in the 20. They were going to get an upgrade before they all go together, the little guys were going to spend a month or two in the 20 with frequent water changes while they grew.

Would you worry or would you move the healthier little one into the "big" tank with the fantail? I don't have anywhere else for the healthier little guy to go, they're in the qt tank already! :(

Edited by SageBear

Got my fingers crossed for this little guy! :hug

Edited by Lis.

Thanks Lis, he's a fighter for sure, still moving about even though you know its got to be hard to breathe!!

I know, I meant the divider to keep the other little guy safe from the big guy in the larger tank. Right now I have a large fantail in the 30 and 2 teeny little guys in the 20. They were going to get an upgrade before they all go together, the little guys were going to spend a month or two in the 20 with frequent water changes while they grew.

Would you worry or would you move the healthier little one into the "big" tank with the fantail? I don't have anywhere else for the healthier little guy to go, they're in the qt tank already! :(

Do you have a food grade container you could use as a temporary tank?

Not right now. I can have tomorrow, most things are closed right now.

Thanks for the idea :D

No problem.

Someone posted a picture in the fb group that looks exactly like it! I'll try to get it on here, I think she said flukes? I have no idea but it looked similar, what were you guys thinking?

I don't think its flukes. From what I know about them they are all microscopic.

The Mods here are really good at what they do I'm sure them will have an answer for you soon and a course of action.

Thanks, im so glad someone pointed us here!

We read the thread/article with the picture, it was talking about viral lymphocystis? I dunno, really glad we found kokos ☺

I'm just posting this for added information. I have no experience with this at all so don't go by my treatment or diagnosis please. I saw a few pictures of this on-line and a member from this forum from Italy (mikroll)said that it was gill maggots and then suggested some medications for it. One was dimilin. He also mentioned an antibiotic being needed to help with infections. I can't link the site...but here is what he said:

"Hi HNLim, Gill maggots( Ergasilgus).

By the picture that you provide I see what looks to be very much like the artropod , copepod. Ergasilidae of which there are many many types visable to eye . (flukes need microscope to see) . It is an egg layer and lives in gills and inside mouth too. As they mature you will see the 2 eggs sacks of a darker colour contain from 50 -200 eggs . Prazi will not kill this parasite . Treatment is by neguvon (triclorfon) , or dimilin. also formalin , or KMNO3,etc. but problem with one like yours so young is that of infection secondary to the wounds. After parasite treatments, is needed antibiotics bath to prevent the bactirial and fungus infection.

These fish will prove very difficult to save .

Also your tanks, tubs and plants are also most probable also infected. this parasite are also found in live food collected from ponds or rivers suchs as little shirmps etc. "

Again...I have no idea but this might be something to look into. So please check with a moderator here.

Here is the photo: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/kokos_zpsoifeumbt.jpg

Edited by Kayla102968

SageBear, can we start with the basics?  Please fill out the d/d form.  I know you have given us most of the information, but we need it all in one place.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)
* Nitrite Level(Tank)
* Nitrate level(Tank)
* Ammonia Level(Tap)
* Nitrite Level(Tap)
* Nitrate level(Tap)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
* Water temperature?
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the tank and their size?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the tank?
* Any medications added to the tank?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Since all of the fish are new, please put the two apparently healthy ones together in the large tank.  Bullying is rarely a problem with goldfish.  These should be receiving our usual salt and prazi this.  I'm not scolding, just reminding, but we all need to help keep d/d threads as compact and focused as possible.  The main reason this thread is at 3 pages is that the OP didn't fill out the form (and nobody told her to do so).  

Okay, so we think it is probably gill maggots and recommend Dimilin X.  This will also kill flukes as they are probably present as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimilin-X-Koi-Goldfish-Treatment-Anchor-Worm-Fish-Lice-Flukes-diflubenzuron-/321073332408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac17640b8

You will also need the antibiotics mentioned above as a secondary bacterial infection is almost certain to occur.  

Awesome. Thank you so much guys, we're running out right now to get what they've got! I don't know if they have dimilin x, we'll let you know when we get there. If they don't, would another preparation work, or another of the gill maggot meds, or should we wait and order from eBay?

This is he at tank setup as of now. Both fish were brought to LFS in same bag so as of right now separating them is pointless as it would only infect other tanks/fish. Understanding that if we had a spare tank then yes we would but these fish have been together for atleast a week. 3a63946b425f5e9e724062e06911a11a.jpg

Hmmm. Good point, what do the mods think now that they are looking at gill maggots? We've been using the same water changer to do both tanks, should we be treating both with the dimilin then and separating? The two little guys have been together from the same supplier from eggs I would imagine, does that mean they both have it?

PS r0adki1l says he didn't mean to be argumentative, he's pulling out of the driveway and was typing in a hurry

It's your choice.  I would treat the affected fish separately, since I don't like to medicate healthy fish.  This is not a highly contagious parasite.  The sick fish will also need antibiotics, since the wounds from the parasites are likely to get bacterial infections and the weakened fish will have a poor immune response.

Dimilin can be used on all of the fish, but I do not recommend using antibiotics on healthy fish. That's the reason for having a hospital tank.

Do you have reason to expect the big fish to bully the small one?  (I assume this is why you do not want to put them together.) This is not typical behavior for goldfish.

Edited by shakaho

Okay, thanks a ton, we'll separate them. Yes, that was what I was concerned about, the bullying. I saw the healthy one nudging the sick one away from food, and I just assumed due to the very large size difference we would see that behavior there too. Thanks for the response!