Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
run.without.raincoats

Should I stop my fish trying to spawn?

I'm a brand new fish parent of about two weeks and I've been reading this site like crazy trying to learn as much as I can. I came across some videos of goldfish spawning behavior, and lo and behold, now that my sick fish are starting to feel better one of them has been doing full on nose up the butt chasing of the other two quite a lot. No nipping, but the ones on the receiving end seem pretty annoyed. They're pretty young, only 2-3 inches, and still not fully recovered from a nasty bout of flukes. Because of those things I'm not sure if breeding would be healthy for them. I don't even know what sex they are yet so I'm only assuming the one doing it is a male, but I don't really know if they're really even trying to breed or if it's just instinct with Spring coming? 

Should I be discouraging it? I've seen some people talk about a"time out" in a colander. I just don't want this to be stressing the ones being chased while they're still fighting flukes. I had one who was seeming to get better suddenly nosedive and die a few days ago, I want to do everything I can to help the three I have left.

There really isn't much you can do to get them to stop spawning. The "time out" is usually reserved to give the female time to rest if she gets too beat up. If they're feeling well enough to spawn, then I would say they're feeling better! Just finish the flukes, and clean the tank if there are any eggs that come out. :)

The only thing you can do to avoid spawning is keep males and females in separate tanks.  

Ok thanks. Well he's not beating them up so I guess as long as it doesn't get too rowdy I'll just wag my finger disapprovingly and tell him to quit it whenever I see it  :teehee