Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stech

Color Change CBR

I have some Thai SvR Ranchus babies they are about 10 weeks old.  Started to change colors turning CBR.  What colors will they turn?

Some has turn Orange will this turn into Red?

Some has gotten lighter like light gold will this turn Peach, White or Yellow?

Some has gotten very dark  Black will this turn black?

Trying to predict their colors. 

Feeding them Frozen Blood Worms (3x day) and Thera A .5mm pellets (3x day).

At 10 weeks do you continue more or less?  They are growing in size but does that mean they will have to eat more but their growth rate shown be slower at this point right?  So I should be able to feed less more like 3 to 4 times a day?

My first time grooming SVR Ranchus.

I wouldn't try to predict the colors, but let them go on themselves. Sometimes they will go through 1 or 2 color changes before they decide on something.

Could you post photos of the babies? It might help to determine if you should up the feedings, since the body shape is important.

Should I have to cut back on feeding?

Color changes are fun! Can't wait to see update pics. :)

I'd cut back on feeding pellets, but feed the same or more FBW to encourage wen growth.

Cutting back pellets amount or cutting back on feeding times?

I work during day so I used auto-feeder 10 AM, 1 PM and 4 PM for pellets.  

7 AM FBW  (5 cubes feeding 8 fish)

10 AM  pellets (Auto-feeder)

1 PM pellets (Auto-Feeder)

4 PM pellets (Auto-Feeder)

6 PM FBW (5 cubes)

8 PM pellets

11 PM  FBW (5 cubes)

Is this too much feeding now that they are 11 weeks?  Most are growing nice wens and funtans (see the black color one).

Cut back on pellet amount. Feeding should be done as many times a day as possible when grooming, so that the fish can constantly take in nutrients like wild carp do. Their bodies are built for it.

Their bodies are nice and deep, but they seem a little fat even for ranchu. cutting back on the pellets will help them 'fitten up' instead of fatten up. I feel like at this time the wen growth isn't where I would want it to be. If you take a look at East Coast Ranchu's facebook page, you can see some 'baby pics' of Cynthia's ranchus and their wens.

They look great! I hope mine turn out that nice... What age did you start feeding FBWs? My 1st batch is 4 weeks and my 2nd batch is 3 weeks. The oldest ones are now able to eat .5mm pellets. Which is really exciting! Ha. My BBS hatcheries have been the death of me to keep up with, being a full-time student and working. I also give them frozen brine shrimp... I was only planning on feeding them to the adults but the frozen ones are tiny, and very manageable for the month old fry. I keep waiting to be able to feed them FBWs. 

Cut back on pellet amount. Feeding should be done as many times a day as possible when grooming, so that the fish can constantly take in nutrients like wild carp do. Their bodies are built for it.

Their bodies are nice and deep, but they seem a little fat even for ranchu. cutting back on the pellets will help them 'fitten up' instead of fatten up. I feel like at this time the wen growth isn't where I would want it to be. If you take a look at East Coast Ranchu's facebook page, you can see some 'baby pics' of Cynthia's ranchus and their wens.

Ok I'll cut back on pellets amount.  Thanks.  They've Buffalo-head type babies from East Coast Ranchu. 

They look great! I hope mine turn out that nice... What age did you start feeding FBWs? My 1st batch is 4 weeks and my 2nd batch is 3 weeks. The oldest ones are now able to eat .5mm pellets. Which is really exciting! Ha. My BBS hatcheries have been the death of me to keep up with, being a full-time student and working. I also give them frozen brine shrimp... I was only planning on feeding them to the adults but the frozen ones are tiny, and very manageable for the month old fry. I keep waiting to be able to feed them FBWs. 

From 6 weeks when I first got them.  Yes FBW really helps with wens and headgrowth.  Don't forget water change.  I do 90% every day.  Yes its alot of work but worth it when you see the transformation.  Amazing.

I was feeding FBW at 4 weeks to my fry last summer. they were old enough to start looking like fish, so I started feeding them like fish. :) It takes time for them to realize that they have to go at the worm from the ends to make it fit, but as soon as they learn that they are playing tug-o-war with the worms and their siblings. It's great. If you decide on this, use the betta-sized worms and not the normal sized ones.

Edited by ChelseaM

Here are the babies no more.  Got them since they were only 6 weeks old from Cynthia at East Coast Ranchu back in March.  They are about 4 months old now.

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/steve888photo/media/p1.jpg.html

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/steve888photo/media/P2.jpg.html

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/steve888photo/media/p7.jpg.html

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/steve888photo/media/p7.jpg.html

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/steve888photo/media/p3.jpg.html

Really enjoy watching them grow.  

Edited by stech

Your fish are gorgeous.  Love the photo's above. 

Thanks

They look so cute. Great proportions!