Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Which Veggies and Gelfood for Fish

Hi,

I am new to all the alternatives in fish foods.  So I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for me...

Gelfoods; which are the best?

Agar; can I substitute ordinary gelatine for agar?

Veggies; which are best?  and how to prepare? (my fish are about 2inches long)

Thanks so much!  I am looking forward to your input!

OH, forgot: Nori... can I just feed them the Nori sheets for sushi making?

Edited by Ree

Repashy Solient Green and Super Green as well as New Life Spectrum Algae Gel are popular here on the Forum.  As for veggies, I prefer to feed my fish aquatic varieties (algae, etc.) that they would find in their natural habitat rather than terrestrial vegetables.  If you do want to go with terrestrial vegetables, try raw red leaf lettuce or blanched spinach :)

I have no idea what grows in Australia, but mine have always love dandelion greens.

I have no idea what grows in Australia, but mine have always love dandelion greens.

Do you do anything to them to prepare them for the fish or just put them in your tank?

Hi,

I am new to all the alternatives in fish foods.  So I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer for me...

Repashy Soilent and Super Green gels, as well as NLS AlgaeGel

Yes. In fact, since Agar is made from Seaweed, this might be better than gelatin.

Aquatic veggies are always preferred over terrestrial. 

A HUGE YES, but only if they don't contain any flavorings. You want nori to be the only ingredient on the package. I use it for all my fish, and they go wild for a strip of it.

Repashy Solient Green and Super Green as well as New Life Spectrum Algae Gel are popular here on the Forum.  As for veggies, I prefer to feed my fish aquatic varieties (algae, etc.) that they would find in their natural habitat rather than terrestrial vegetables.  If you do want to go with terrestrial vegetables, try raw red leaf lettuce or blanched spinach :)

Hi Jared, Thanks for the list of fishy foods.  I will have to see if I can keep an eye out for them.  I haven't seen too much variety in goldfish foods in Australian stores, but then I haven't looked for alternative foods yet, so maybe I just missed them!  Just wondering though, and as I said I haven't looked, where do I source aquatic veggies for my fish from?

Hi,

Repashy Soilent and Super Green gels, as well as NLS AlgaeGel

Yes. In fact, since Agar is made from Seaweed, this might be better than gelatin.

Aquatic veggies are always preferred over terrestrial. 

A HUGE YES, but only if they don't contain any flavorings. You want nori to be the only ingredient on the package. I use it for all my fish, and they go wild for a strip of it.

Thanks Chelsea, I will keep all of this in mind.  Esp the Nori.  I know I can purchase it from our local supermarket, so I will certainly have a look at the ingredients next time I am there.  I would love my fish to try it, that's if my husband will leave any for the fish, he loves it too!

Do you do anything to them to prepare them for the fish or just put them in your tank?

Hi Motherredcap!  We have dandelions, but I'm not sure if they are the same as yours??? I haven't seen any around where we live though.  The soil here is very sandy and not nutrient rich, so its mostly just the hardiest of plants that survive.  Ill have to look into it.  Like Jim I would love to know how you prepare it.

'Aquatic veggies' you can either cultivate yourself if you're interested in keeping aquatic plants, or you can buy the powdered gel food mixes. The Tech Den sells NLS Algaemax and if I'm not mistaken they have flat rate shipping Australia wide. A few people have ordered the gel mix from them. :)

Our dandelions are the same, although if you're not too confident, you can get a bag of mixed lettuce and pick the dandelion greens out. :)