Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jim_D

Tell me about gel foods

What's the benefits? How hard is to make?

Tell me why you like it?

Gel foods are a moist food. This means that they go through the fish's digestive track more gently. Gels do not expand like a pellet does, which lessens the risk of this happening inside the fish and causing a blockage. Both of these reasons are very good reasons to use gel food for goldfish, especially fancies, because of their poor digestive systems. 

I personally only use premade gels. This means that making them becomes quite easy: no more than 10 seconds in the microwave to heat up enough for 4 feedings for my fish. All you do with most premade gels (like Repashy gelfoods and NLS AlgaeGel) is add 1 part gel powder to 3 parts water and combine, then heat and let set. It's similar to the process used to make gelatin. 

If you're into the homemade stuff, then there are quite a few recipes for it pinned in the foods section here on the forum. 

One last thing to add: If you decide to switch over to premade gels, it would be good to contact people in your country to see if they have a method to get these foods. I know what a nightmare AUS customs is.

I find if you make your own it can be very messy but also the fish seem to like it :). I use a load of veg and the just add pellets and any fish food I have and mix then add gelatin and then you leave it in the fridge overnight :). I do like repashy soilent green but its always nice to vary the fishes food :)

I personally only use premade gels. This means that making them becomes quite easy:

THIS!  I'm too lazy to make my own and the premade are so easy.  All my fish love it!  I've used Repashy soilent green and super green and have recently gotten one of the NLS gels but I don't remember which one.  I haven't made that one yet.  :D

I prefer to make my own with attention paid to proper balance in nutritional requirements for goldfish.

It's pretty simple, I think there are a few tested recipes around here and GFK. I don't have a recipe available for sharing at this time.

abOB6VIl.jpg

WYaEkoll.jpg

Edited by Chai

In theory, gel foods are great.  However, just like pellets, they can make fish floaty if too much is fed.  I use the Repashy Super Green and Solient Green.

We make our own, and make two different kinds.

One with added fish/shrimps (not saltet in anyway) and one with pure veggies. We add any leftover pellets / other foods to balance it out.

Spinach, broccoli, peas, carrots are the main ingredients.

We make a big portion at one time. Just have it set in the fridge, cut it into pieces (we do small ones, so the chance of each fish getting food is better) and freeze it. Then we just take a few pieces at a time and defrost it, before dumping it in the tank :)

The fish love it and do really well on it too.

I like the "easy to make types" (Rapashy & Mazuri). Right now I am using just Rapashy. My goldies like it alot & I feel good knowing I am providing good healthy food!! (The EASY part is a BIG PLUS!!)

I make up a batch. I keep enough for a week in a little container in the frig. The rest I cut up & freeze....stored in a good freezer bag. When the little container gets low I pop a piece or two out of the freezer bag & thaw it on a paper towel...then add it to the little container! 

I prefer to make my own with attention paid to proper balance in nutritional requirements for goldfish.

It's pretty simple, I think there are a few tested recipes around here and GFK. I don't have a recipe available for sharing at this time.

abOB6VIl.jpg

WYaEkoll.jpg

Yours turns out so much more gel like and pretty than mine did.  :teehee  I'm still working on it though. 

Jim -- For my goldfish I bought the New Life Spectrum algae max because it's easier and they get a lot of good nutrition from that and other stuff without having to make my own gels which can be time consuming. But, I think making your own can be a neat experiment, and worth trying at least once. I make home-made for my native fish because they don't make a food that has all the proper nutrition in it for them. A great benefit is you can adjust the recipes for what your specific fish need. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

My fish love their Gel Foods! It is simple to make up a batch of my Repashy's Soilent Green or New Life Spectrum Algae Gel. I pour it into a candy bar mold that I got off of Ebay just to get the little rectangles all in uniform shape and size. Here is the one I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECTANGLE-BREAK-UP-BARS-HARD-CANDY-SOAP-FONDANT-CHOCOLATE-MOLD-/321719353937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae7f7c251  It's not necessary to have a special pan or mold for the gel. You can just spread it on a pan and cut to the size of pieces you want.

When the gel is set I pop it out, cut apart the sections, then freeze most of it and then I keep portions for a week or two of feedings in the fridge. It keeps good in the freezer for up to 6 months and in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

It is what I use if I'm in a hurry and need to leave the house soon or am running late. Then I will go to each tank with the food storage container and I just pop the portion size needed for each tank and then I'm ready to go.

Very much appreciate all the replies everyone :)