Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

I am fed up!

25 posts in this topic

So me and my mum saw a heron a few weeks ago on a neighbours roof but it hadn't gone to the pond as far as we could tell but since we have been draining the pond and refilling it we have definitely lost fish. The fish we have lost are twp orandas, 2 of our breeding commons, our friends sarasa comet and maybe some baby goldfish as well. How do we get rid of the heron as frogs just get caught in netting that we tried putting over that didn't fit and apparently the decoy herons don't work what should we do??

Edited by goldfishfanforever

Does your pond get a lot of sun? I have read on garden forums that adding a large mirror ball or two around the pond can help deter herons because the light bouncing off of them is irritating. 

This is just what I have read, though.

Use another barrier. Maybe something with larger holes so the frogs can get through.

When I built my small pond I built it over 3" deep. Without a shallow end they won't try and get the fish as they are too deep.

Edited by Daniel E.

Once the predator has tasted your fish, nothing will work except a barrier.  To tell you what kind of barrier you need, I have to see a picture of your pond along with the average length, width and depth.  An effective barrier is typically not very pretty, but you can take it off any time you or others are watching the pond.  If your pond is small, old window screens laid across the top can make a pretty good interim barrier.  

Does your pond get a lot of sun? I have read on garden forums that adding a large mirror ball or two around the pond can help deter herons because the light bouncing off of them is irritating. 

This is just what I have read, though.

Thanks I may try that :). Do you think having fishing line at different heights around the edge of the pond will deter the heron??

Use another barrier. Maybe something with larger holes so the frogs can get through.

When I built my small pond I built it over 3" deep. Without a shallow end they won't try and get the fish as they are too deep.

We have ledges in it so fry can hid in the plants on the top ledge and so fish can get away from our sturgeon and the deepest part is about 2 1/2 feet deep maybe 3 I believe

Once the predator has tasted your fish, nothing will work except a barrier.  To tell you what kind of barrier you need, I have to see a picture of your pond along with the average length, width and depth.  An effective barrier is typically not very pretty, but you can take it off any time you or others are watching the pond.  If your pond is small, old window screens laid across the top can make a pretty good interim barrier.

Its a twelve foot pond (round) and I will try and get pictures for you as well :)

Fishing line might work too, for awhile.

Edited by ChelseaM

I saw a video on youtube where they used fishing line :)

Yep, I've seen them too. I bet you could even make your own barrier over the pond by criss-crossing the line and tying it to stakes around the edges, if your parents don't like the idea of covering the pond like Sharon suggested.

My in-laws condo has fishing wire (or some type of wire) strung up along their docks deck railing to deter the birds. I laugh every time I see it because there are usually birds standing on the railing, totally oblivious to that wire put there to keep them away.

Yep, I've seen them too. I bet you could even make your own barrier over the pond by criss-crossing the line and tying it to stakes around the edges, if your parents don't like the idea of covering the pond like Sharon suggested.

Yeah I may try that but that would at the earliest have to be tomorrow and I don't wanna lose anymore fish :(

My in-laws condo has fishing wire (or some type of wire) strung up along their docks deck railing to deter the birds. I laugh every time I see it because there are usually birds standing on the railing, totally oblivious to that wire put there to keep them away.

Lol :lol:

Like everything other than a predator-proof barrier, the fishing line works on birds that haven't tasted your fish.  Even birds that haven't eaten one yet will eventually land beside the pond, examine the fishing line and realize that there is a way to get through it.  

Is the edge of your pond at ground level or above? Are there plants in or around the edge of the pond that require the cover to be elevated?

Here's the material I recommend for a cover.  I'm not sure what you call it in England.  You can tie strips of this together with to make it wide enough  using these.  At this point I can't say much more without seeing the pond.  If it were a rectangular pond, I would make and open "table" shaped like this (but obviously much larger):

[url=http://s822.photobucket.com/user/shakaho/media/Filters/30%20gallon%20filter/DSCF0144.jpg.html]DSCF0144.jpg

big enough to fit over the pond and cover it with the hardware cloth.  That actually is an option with your pond if you make it big enough.

Edited by shakaho

I'm sorry for all of your losses.  :( 

I'm sorry for all of your losses.   :(

It could be worse but I think I'm going to move the remaining oranda a super fat fantail inside tomorrow to already overstocked tanks but I think I would feel more at ease :)

I have now moved my fantail and oranda inside which will give me peace of mind at least but I'm gonna have to haul more buckets as I will have to clean a 34 gallon with 8 goldfish (I know) absolutely loads

What are you using to filter your pond?  I don't see a filter.  Is it underwater?

If you can get some small mesh fencing similar to what I showed you and fasten it together to make a sheet large enough to cover the pond, you have a cover.  The mesh is too small for herons to stick a beak through or frogs to get stuck in.  Then all you have to do is set some stakes around the outside and fasten the sheet to them, using some kind of removable fasteners so you (but not predators) can take it off it easily.  

What are you using to filter your pond?  I don't see a filter.  Is it underwater?

If you can get some small mesh fencing similar to what I showed you and fasten it together to make a sheet large enough to cover the pond, you have a cover.  The mesh is too small for herons to stick a beak through or frogs to get stuck in.  Then all you have to do is set some stakes around the outside and fasten the sheet to them, using some kind of removable fasteners so you (but not predators) can take it off it easily.  

The filter is near the wheelbarrow in the corner underground and is usually connected to the waterfall but the waterfall leaks at the minute so we are just allowing the filter hose to send the water into the pond :)

Do my suggestions make sense to you and sound like something you can do?

Do my suggestions make sense to you and sound like something you can do?

Yeah they make sense :) Would chicken wire do?? 

The potential problem with chicken wire is the size of the mesh.  Most sold here has 1 inch mesh, and this sounds like you'd have your old problem of catching frogs.  If you can get some with smaller mesh it's fine.  I find chicken wire very difficult to work with, but if you have someone to help you who has experience working with it you should be OK.  You definitely have to attach it to a frame.

The potential problem with chicken wire is the size of the mesh.  Most sold here has 1 inch mesh, and this sounds like you'd have your old problem of catching frogs.  If you can get some with smaller mesh it's fine.  I find chicken wire very difficult to work with, but if you have someone to help you who has experience working with it you should be OK.  You definitely have to attach it to a frame.

Ok I know hardware cloth is quite cheap in some stores so I will look around as the chicken wire and the netting we have atm will probably be useless

So we fitted the net on the pond very taught and no where a frog could get caught and there are only a few areas at the edge of the pond where fish are not covered by the net but I doubt a heron would go for the fish there as the heron wouldn't be in the water to catch the fish :) if this doesn't work we will try the mesh lid idea thing :D

Edited by goldfishfanforever

Sounds good.

Sounds good.

Thanks we did leave some areas for frogs to get in and out so hopefully I will work :)