Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
LittleShadow

What would be a good size of aquarium for a mover?

41 posts in this topic

Hey guys!  Sorry for not posting anything in so long, I've had my hands full between moving and being oriented for my new job, and all that good stuff.  Anyways, I have had my current tank since I was 16 (24 now), and have wanted to upgrade for a while.  I'd like to eventually have a 75 gal, but, since I foresee some more moving for a while in my future, I was wondering what would be the largest I could go with that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to move.  I have a '03 Honda Civic, and my fiancée has a '98 Honda Accord, so anything that could sit on the back seat/ trunk (with a flat base, of course) and not require a moving truck is preferable ;)

I was thinking maybe 40 breeder, or a 55 gal.  I don't think a 55 would sit in the back seat of the car though, unless I could find a wide instead of a long.  I also saw a 30gal pond aquarium that had the filter already molded into the tank (It had the black plastic thing blocking off part of the corner...or maybe that was a sump drain?) that I loooved, but it's $400 and the same size as what I have, just put together a bit differently =\  Any ideas where I could get something like this relatively cheap - bar Craigslist (I'm new to the area and don't know my way around very well), and Walmart (Ex employee, and yes, I quit)?

A 40 gallon long sounds like it would fit comfortably in a back seat 40 breeder might be a little wide

The 40B is a great tank. It should fit in almost any car.

I would see if you can fit a 55 gallon.  Before settling for a 40b.  With three fish the bigger the better.

A 55 is 4' long. Can't picture a car that small.

There is only a few gallons difference in the actual gallons held by a 40B and a 55.  However the 40B has a better surface to volume ratio.  the 40B is designed for fish, the 55 for living rooms.

Bust out the measuring tape and find out what will actually fit.  Then there is no need for guessing.

:D

Hey guys!  Sorry for not posting anything in so long, I've had my hands full between moving and being oriented for my new job, and all that good stuff.  Anyways, I have had my current tank since I was 16 (24 now), and have wanted to upgrade for a while.  I'd like to eventually have a 75 gal, but, since I foresee some more moving for a while in my future, I was wondering what would be the largest I could go with that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to move.  I have a '03 Honda Civic, and my fiancée has a '98 Honda Accord, so anything that could sit on the back seat/ trunk (with a flat base, of course) and not require a moving truck is preferable ;)

I was thinking maybe 40 breeder, or a 55 gal.  I don't think a 55 would sit in the back seat of the car though, unless I could find a wide instead of a long.  I also saw a 30gal pond aquarium that had the filter already molded into the tank (It had the black plastic thing blocking off part of the corner...or maybe that was a sump drain?) that I loooved, but it's $400 and the same size as what I have, just put together a bit differently =\  Any ideas where I could get something like this relatively cheap - bar Craigslist (I'm new to the area and don't know my way around very well), and Walmart (Ex employee, and yes, I quit)?

I have a 99 accord and the 55G tank fits perfectly in the back seat. I've brought both of mine home in the back seat.

I was at a Petsmart today and actually saw some 60gal kits (stand and all for cheaper than some aquariums alone!) that looked like they would fit the accord, but they sat up so high I couldn't get my arm half-ways down the tank without a step stool! lol.  The 75gal next to it actually sat lower >.< .  The 40 gals I liked for the amount of surface area they had - for whatever reason, I always like the wider tanks over the long and skinny ones.  It's silly to think about, but I feel like they should have ample room to turn around in lol.  However, more gallons per fish is always good for the fish as well...

Bust out the measuring tape and find out what will actually fit.  Then there is no need for guessing.

:D

Lol that's exactly what I need to do!  I'll do that tomorrow...er actually...later today.  My biggest concerns are the armrests on the doors poking in and messing with the glass.  I'm rather short legged, so I am already scooched up enough that a wide shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I must figure out where my parents keep the tape measure first though!

I would see if you can fit a 55 gallon.  Before settling for a 40b.  With three fish the bigger the better.  

That's kind of what I've been thinking - something as big as possible, but still manageable.  Unfortunately, since you bring up three fish, I found out late this week that Arnold, our redcap, died, so we are now down to two (they are with my fiancée, where I moved from).  I'm not sure what exactly happened to him.  When I saw him last, he had no fin clamping, didn't act sluggish, had an appetite, didn't have any pineconing of his scales, no wounds, had grown quite a bit since we first got him, and the parameters were good to boot.  One of his sides looked a little lopsided, and we had been trying to treat him for constipation, but I guess that wasn't it..  My fiancée did a necropsy on him, and a bunch of pus poured out of the little fella's side, so he was infected somehow :(  So when we stumbled on that petsmart, I picked up an all over medication, that's supposed to be good for bacteria, parasites, fungus, and viruses.  Ugh, what a mess!!

I have a 99 accord and the 55G tank fits perfectly in the back seat. I've brought both of mine home in the back seat.

Awesome!  I will definitely keep that in mind!  I know the accord has a lot more room in the back seat than the civic does, I used to have a '98 accord as well,  they are Way roomier! 

Thanks guys!  We'll see what kind of size of tank I can fit in the back of our cars today...after some sleep!

This may not be useful information but I have for a 75 gallon tank in the backseat of an 07 civic, we had to sit quite close to the dash but if you do already then you might not have a problem!

There is only a few gallons difference in the actual gallons held by a 40B and a 55.  However the 40B has a better surface to volume ratio.  the 40B is designed for fish, the 55 for living rooms.

This. The 40B holds between 45-47 gallons. 

I don't understand why some people prefer the minute advantage in surface area the 40 has over the 8 to 10 gallon ad andvantage of the 55. I have never known surface area to be a limiting factor in a properly stocked and filtered tank.

I don't understand why some people prefer the minute advantage in surface area the 40 has over the 8 to 10 gallon ad andvantage of the 55. I have never known surface area to be a limiting factor in a properly stocked and filtered tank.

+1

... you have longer arms. You wouldn't understand! :rofl

A 40b fit into the backseat of my '03 Corolla, WITH a carseat next to it. I imagine a 4' tank might fit, but it would be tiiiiiight! 

I know almost nothing about cars, but my friend has a small-ish car and my 55 gallon tank just barely fits in her back seat. I know there are smaller cars out there, so measuring might be the only way to be sure.

... you have longer arms. You wouldn't understand! :rofl         

Finally! Someone who gets it! Lol! 

I know almost nothing about cars, but my friend has a small-ish car and my 55 gallon tank just barely fits in her back seat. I know there are smaller cars out there, so measuring might be the only way to be sure.

It's okay, I don't know a whole lot about cars either - the only reason I know the size difference is because the accord was my first car and the civic was my third.  I had a Saturn vue for maybe a year and traded it because it was a piece of crap.  I still need to measure the seat though - Justin likes to keep the road hot and long story short I haven't had much in the way of chances lol.  The accord I could see fitting a 55- 75 gal.  The civic...ehhh...

A 40b fit into the backseat of my '03 Corolla, WITH a carseat next to it. I imagine a 4' tank might fit, but it would be tiiiiiight! 

I bet that was a snug fit!

I'd rather not get something huge at this point - partially because the biggest tank I've had was like 30-32 gals.  I'd like to make sure I can handle something slightly bigger rather than going all out lol.  However, if that petsmart still has those deals for the stand and aquarium sets,  I'd def be tempted.  Although, for something that big, I'd probably want a canister, or even a sump filter, and I'd be worried about the latter overflowing if electric went out, or the other not being shut just right and having water go everywhere lol.  The whole aquaponics thing sounds interesting too!

I got a 55 gallon tank into a Sentra :) very tight fit but we did it :)

I'd rather not get something huge at this point - partially because the biggest tank I've had was like 30-32 gals.  I'd like to make sure I can handle something slightly bigger rather than going all out lol.  However, if that petsmart still has those deals for the stand and aquarium sets,  I'd def be tempted.  Although, for something that big, I'd probably want a canister, or even a sump filter, and I'd be worried about the latter overflowing if electric went out, or the other not being shut just right and having water go everywhere lol.  The whole aquaponics thing sounds interesting too!

You should make a pond filter for your 40 B like I did here.  A five gallon filter turns your 40 gallon tank  into a 45 gallon system.  It's easy to make, very inexpensive, easy to maintain, and gives much better filtration than you can get with a little canister.  The wastebasket filter in the thread has been outside for two years.  I just brought it in and set up the 40B as a holding tank for a couple of large pond fish I am treating with dips.  I've added an aquaponics tray to it and will show it after I get through some very challenging projects.

That is such a neat idea!  It looks like something that could be made about as fancy or basic as someone could want =) 

I've decided to hold off of buying anything new until we get moved into our own place (we'll be at my parent's until we can find something).  However, I'm still going to need a sterilite container to transport my fish in.  I don't think I asked earlier, so what size of container would be good for transporting 2 fancies in?

I also have another tank that I'm going to set up at my parent's (30 gal), that way I have something already set up when we bring the fish over.  The thing is, how do I get it cycled and everything in such short notice (I have a couple of weeks)?  I could probably replace one of the biowheels to the new filter with the one from the old one (I bought 2 powerwheel filters when I started), but that won't be over until we bring the fish. This "new" tank also came with a canister filter, but the whole setup has been in my grandmother's garage/pole barn for a couple of years now.  Is there any way it's still salvageable?  I'm not afraid of some elbow grease, or having to buy some new sponge filters/ media.  Last I looked at it, it looked dirty, but otherwise alright.  I'm just not sure about the whole priming bit, or when it comes time to change the filter/ media and actually opening it.

Thanks a bunch!!      

I got a 55 gallon tank into a Sentra :) very tight fit but we did it :)

I bow to your superior Live Action Tetris Skillz.

My husband has a Scion XA, & earlier this month we brought a 75 gal. tank home in the back of it (with the back seat folded down). I put a Uhaul felt moving blanket under it, & sort up around the sides so nothing would bump into it. The stand had to go with my car, though.

Another thing to consider when moving a lot is the weight of the empty tank.  I have a 30 gallon that I cannot move by myself at all.  It had been a turtle tank and has really thick glass.  The 40B from Petco is light relative to it's size.  I am not tall enough and don't have long enough arms to actually pick it up, but I can stand it on end, put my hands inside the end, lift it clear of the ground and move it where I need to (with lots of rests, if there's much distance).  I would not be able to do that with a four-foot tank even if it weighed the same.

I bow to your superior Live Action Tetris Skillz. 

I feel like this would be appropriate now:  

We are going to pack today, and will be taking the old tank down to my parent's - after it's cleaned.  Both of these tanks I can lift no problem if they're empty.  With rocks in them..ehh.  But I highly doubt my fiancee will let me lift them by myself lol. Maybe I'll take pics so you guys can see the condition everything is in??  

You should make a pond filter for your 40 B like I did here.  A five gallon filter turns your 40 gallon tank  into a 45 gallon system.  It's easy to make, very inexpensive, easy to maintain, and gives much better filtration than you can get with a little canister.  The wastebasket filter in the thread has been outside for two years.  I just brought it in and set up the 40B as a holding tank for a couple of large pond fish I am treating with dips.  I've added an aquaponics tray to it and will show it after I get through some very challenging projects.

That looks so awesome! I so have podium holder and flower pot ideas for my new indoor fish fountain that I am inevitably going to make my hubby build now! And flowers in the top! Oh I soooo love this idea!!

Question, will it work with any other size aquariums?