Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LabRat99

2015 fry have arrived!

I've got about 30 fry so far this year. Three are double tails, their parents are Hubble the calico telescope and an orange ryukin that came from Wal-Mart last fall. The others are shubunkins from Chub and Shub. I learned a ton raising fry last year, one of the main things being not to raise too many fry! Anyway, I can't wait to see how these little guys and gals turn out.

Now I've got about three dozen fry from three different spawns. The shubunkins spawned twice, most of the fry are from them. My double tail group of fish spawned once and I was only able to get three fry from that spawning but those three are doing well and already have double tails. I'll try to post a few pics of the fry soon.

Finally I got time to take a few photos of the fry and upload them. Here they are. There are fry from three different spawns in these pics. The three double tails are one spawn and then there are two different spawns of shubunkins.

item.JPG?rot=8

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

A very interesting thing has happened. One of the double tails is turning black. I knew he was metallic, but he's gradually gotten darker and darker. Then a day or two ago, I realized he's got a chop tail. So now I'm starting to question who the parents are. I'm virtually certain Mom is a small orange ryukin. I had assumed Dad was Hubble, my calico telescope. He's always been very aggressive when it came to chasing and spawning behavior. But now I'm wondering if the Dad of at least this one fish might be Norman the Moor. Norman has a chop tail, but has never been remotely interested in spawning activity. I was never sure what his sex was for that matter.

I'll try to post some pics and see what you guys think.

Here are a few pics from tonight...

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

If you carefully in the top two photos you can see the chop tails on two of the three double tails. Pics three, four, and five are the presumed parents. I had thought the Dad was Hubble, the calico telescope in pic four. But that metallic one with the chop tail is starting to make me think that Norman the Moor might be a Papa after all.

Oh wow look at all your fry! They're incredible, congrats!!

The parents are beautiful, especially your tele, I'm sure the fry will be just as lovely :)

GORGEOUS! And that telescope is absolutely incredible, love the streaks in the tail.

Congratulations!!!!

So neat!

Thanks for the nice comments everybody, they're much appreciated.  :)

Awe!  Look at all those babies. :)  Congratulations on your fry.

The parents are beautiful.

You have beautiful fish! I bet the babies are going to be very pretty!

The parents are gorgeous!

I had a fry go dark like that and both parents are metallic. He lightened up afterwards :)

Here are some clearer pics of the double-tailed fry.

item.JPG?rot=1

The two calicos and the black one. One of the calicos has a chop tail like the black one, the other has a regular double tail.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

A real good view of the black one's tail.

item.JPG?rot=1

And a view of some of the shubunkin babies in the five gallon aquarium.

Oh wow they are looking great :) are the bigger ones older or have they just developed faster?

Oh wow they are looking great :) are the bigger ones older or have they just developed faster?

Thanks. The double tailed ones are 3 or 4 days older than the first batch of Shubunkins. There's a second batch of shubunkins of which I only kept about a half dozen that are about ten days younger. I've got about 40 total, but I'm going to cull all of the metallic shubunkins except for one and then cull again to remove all that don't have Bristol tails. That should cut the numbers down considerably.

A little update. The fry are approximately a month old today. The three double tails are all looking great. I may be imagining it, but it looks to me like they are all developing telescope eyes. The shubunkins are growing well too, keeping fewer fry this year is paying off in that they are all growing at a faster rate than last year. I might move all the fry to an aquarium this weekend. If I do, I'll try to get a few more pics to post.

I haven't posted anything about this year's babies in almost three weeks because I kept thinking I'd take some pictures. I haven't been able to make time for pictures yet but I'll take some as soon as I can. As for the babies, they are doing great. The three double tail ones are all around an inch long or maybe a little longer. They have fat little ryukin bodies and the two calico ones definitely are telescopes. They all have really nice finnage too. I'm really excited about these three fish!

The shubunkins that I kept this year are looking much better than last year's crop too. They are starting to color up and look like their Mom and Pop. I've got nine of them, so I'm planning on raising an even dozen babies total this year.

Right now I've got them all in a ten gallon aquarium with two sponge filters and a nano HOB filter. For the first month when they were all in tubs I fed them brine shrimp twice a day. When I moved them to the auarium I started supplementing the brine shrimp with ground up Hikari pellets. About a week ago I dropped the morning brine shimp feeding and started feeding them ground pellets in the morning along with brine shrimp in the evening. This past weekend, I dropped the ground pellets and switched them to Hikari baby pellets twice a day and brine shrimp in the evening. In a couple of more days I'm gonna finish the brine shrimp, and from then on they'll be exclusively on the baby Hikari pellets.

All in all, this year's breeding season has gone really well. Soon, it will be time to pack up the breeding supplies and put them away til next Spring.

Beautiful fry!   :wub:

The babies are about seven weeks old now, I thought I'd post a few pics.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1They seem to be doing great; they're growing nicely. They are getting Hikari baby pellets exclusively now. I can't wait for these guys to get big!