Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aquabubbles

Pellets too big

My new comet, Dazzle, is just a tiny thing and so the Hikari pellets are a bit too large for her mouth. She keeps spitting them out, then chasing them, then grabbing them again. Eventually after they've softened up some in the water and she's taken some nibbles they can fit in her mouth. I tried cutting them in half and she gobbles them down with ease. I figure it gives her something to do if she has to work for them, but I don't want her getting stressed or running out of energy! So should I slice them so she can eat them quickly and easily or leave them be and let her work to eat them? 

I'd crush them . . . mortar and pestle if you have them or else between two spoons.  :D

Yes, I'd suggest cutting them as well. It can be a pain in the butt but it's worth it. Smaller pellets are much more easy on the goldfish digestive tract.

Back when my fish were small, I would take a knife and slice Pro-Gold pellets for hours. :rofl Crushing them would probably work too, whatever is best for you.

Be patient and sooner or later your fish will be big enough to vacuum three whole pellets at once! :D

I would not cut them i would hit them with a blunt object. Cutting something that small is risky.

I remember someone mention using a pepper mill, but not sure if you want to have fishy tasting pepper afterwards.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I am now crushing them, just with a regular spoon and it works great :D Just one crush and they're the perfect size- not powder, but tiny bite sized pieces! Thanks guys!