Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eightwonders

Fry accidentally eating BBS eggs

I've had a baby brine shrimp hatchery running for about a week now. I've finally got the hang of the smoothest way to feed and when to feed my fry. I turn off the air pump and take the light source away to allow them to go to the bottom of the hatchery. I then siphon them out and then drain them through a net and rinse them with freshwater from day old water. I've noticed my fry somehow find eggs that get siphoned out of the hatchery and eat them. Since the fry are still colorless I can see their bellies and some have A LOT of eggs in their bellies. What will happen to the fry? I figure that realistically this must happen a lot because how could a few eggs here and there not be sucked up with the BBS? I have noticed eggs in the babies for several days now and it doesn't seem like they are passing them through. I have 2 batches of fry. The first batch I found the morning of 3/16 and they hatched mostly on the 21st. My second batch were laid (if I remember correctly) 3/22 and they mostly hatched on the 26th. My fry are growing very fast. I keep the water around 76 and feed them either 2 or 3 times a day, depending on my work and class schedule. I've been doing about 25% water changes daily too.

Another question I have that I cannot figure out myself is how to tell how many gallons of water my fry are in. They are in my 40 gallon breeder and I would guess they're in about 17-20 gallons of water currently. I tried to measure height wise of the 40 gallon tank to see how many inches = how many gallons... but my numbers never add up. I'm not sure how high to the top is technically considered where 40 gallons would measure to. I once added one gallon (my water change buckets has gallon measurements on them) and I measured a rise that I thought to be 1/4th of an inch. That would mean every inch was 4 gallons but the entire tank is 16.5 inches. That would mean the tank was 66 gallons. Ha. I can't figure it out!

The BBS are attracted to the light.  Rather than take the light source away, shine it on the bottom of the hatchery.  The BBS will swim to the bottom while the eggs float to the top.  That's how I did it and I never needed to use a net.  :D  Turn off the air pump as you've been doing . . .

Try adding more than just one gallon . . . Add more like 10 gallons and then measure.  The 40B holds anywhere from 45-47 gallons if you put the measurements into a tank volume calculator.  At this point it is probably just as important if not more important how many inches of water they are in vs the volume of water they are in (unless you're treating them and need the measurement for that).