Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aquabubbles

When/How to switch fry to adult food?

My fry are about two weeks old now and growing :D I've been feeding them Hikari First Bites. They also have plants and algae to nibble on. I'm wondering at what age can I begin feeding them adult pellets, veggies, and frozen foods? I have a mortar and pestle for crushing food so I can turn the pellets into a powder, etc. :)

When their mouths are big enough, start introducing the adult food. 

I personally just let a pellet sink to the bottom of the tank and begin to dissolve at first. The babies nibbled on it for about an hour, then I siphoned off the rest. By far my favorite thing to feed baby goldfish, though, is frozen bloodworms. I just thaw a cube of the smaller ones (You an get cubes made for bettas), pull some worms out, and let them figure it out on their own. :) You can just chuck the leftovers in with the adult fish.

Edited by ChelseaM

I feed brine shrimp for about a month, then alternate between brine shrimp and ground up pellets for a week or two gradually weaning them off of the brine shrimp. I continue the ground up pellets until they get big enough eat the pellets whole. BTW, I've found that a pepper mill works great for grinding up pellets.