Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

Repashy Gel Food: Soilent Green or Super Green?

Background:

I have been feeding Saki-Hikari (purple bag) for ages as well as Repashy Super Green gel food and my lot have done really well on them. My usual process is Saki-Hikari pellets for the morning feed and then their Super Green Repashy gel food for their other feedings for the day. I also give them Bloodworm/Daphnia etc three times a week. My issue is that I have a Lionhead called Munch who gets floaty from the Saki-Hikari although she is fine with the gel food so I have had to be really careful when feeding her. I like giving them the daily Saki-hikari pellets as I know that the Super Green is not a complete staple diet for Goldfish as it lacks in protien. However I have now come to the last dregs of both my pellets and gel food so it's time to order more.

My question:

The main question is should I order the Repashy Soilent Green instead of the Super Green and forgo the pellets? 

Should I buy 1 smaller size Soilent Green and 1 smaller size Super Green and forgo the pellets?

Should I stick to what I know and just buy more Super Green and Saki-Hikari?

Should I stick with the Super Green and try other pellets? (my concern is that all the other fish expect Munch do really well on the Saki-Hikari with no floaty issues, a diferent pellet might change that and a new one might still set off poor Munch).

Note: I would still be giving them their Bloodworm and whatnot anyway since it's tasty I want to give them some variety (I also still have a bunch).

Sorry for all the questions but honestly my budget is extremely tight at the moment so I can't afford to buy a whole bunch of stuff, just what they need. If I had the funds I think I would buy both Super Green and Soilent Green and more Saki-Hikari pellets but it's not possible right now. I'm thinking it would be more affordable and more sensible for Munch to just buy the Soilent Green gel food and still add in the Bloodworm etc three times a week for variation - do you guys think this is a good idea? Money issues aside it's important to me that my guys are getting a good diet.

Edited by Ruby

I personally like the Super Green + Frozen Bloodworms as a diet. It works well, and provides a complete diet for them without adding any dry foods that might cause floating. The Bloodworms can be fed daily if you would like. Another food that you might want to try as far as gels go is the NLS AlgaeGel. I'm not sure if it will be available to you in Scotland, but it'd be worth a look-for. It's an aquatic-plant-based gel, and is a good substitute for Super Green. 

This is just my suggestion, though, so feel free to wait for others. 

Despite the additional cost at first, I would try small bags of both.  My fish floated on Soilent but not Super.  Individual reactions to foods can be very... individual.. and would be a shame to have a large amount of food that a fish didn't tolerate.

My fish seem to prefer Soilent Green. I tried a small sample packet of Super Green once and they werent feeling it at all. I sent the rest to a friend for his new fish and it worked out.

Koko sent me some Soilent Green and it's been a hit... The little ones are still trying to figure out how to eat it (guys, guys...rip it.. RIP a piece off. :rofl ).. I also added some powdered fish food that I ground up. :)

That can be an option if you'd like to make it a bit more appealing and add some specific ingredients. :D

fcn2YU3l.jpg

Edited by Chai