Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stech

Pot Scrubber Bio Media

I want to get some pot scrubber to use as bio medias.   What brand is safe to use?  I seen brand such as Quickie in local stores.  There are the round all plastic type and rectangle shape sponge.  Which is better?

Any recommendations on brands from local hardware stores?

The only thing you need to look out for is any chemical in the scrubbers. No soaps, no 'anti-mildew', and also no 'not for aquarium use' advisories on the package. The cheapest place to get them would be your local dollar stores. I personally enjoy using the round plastic ones. :)

Ok thanks will try some in my HOB.

Will they fit in your HOB?

Should have some room I got AC 110 was thinking adding scrubber along with bundled Biomax

If you have biomax, then why do you need the scrubbie?

The scrubbies are good for large pond filters although, unless you get a supper bargain, there are much better media for a lot less money.  If you have a 5 or 10 gallon pond filter full of scrubbies, they'll provide enough surface area for the biobugs needed for a 50-100 gallon tank.  For HOB filters, you need media with much more surface area, since you have room for so little of it.  

If you put a scrubbie in your HOB filter, it will reduce the number of fish your filter can handle.

Not replacing BioMax have some room for extra media since I don't use the Carbon.  Was just going to add one or two scrubbers to AC 110 along with BioMax.  If anything it should provide alot more bio filtration.

It'll provide more room for the bacteria, yes. Just know that that doesn't necessarily mean there will be more bacteria to filter the water.

The scrubbies are good for large pond filters although, unless you get a supper bargain, there are much better media for a lot less money.  If you have a 5 or 10 gallon pond filter full of scrubbies, they'll provide enough surface area for the biobugs needed for a 50-100 gallon tank.  For HOB filters, you need media with much more surface area, since you have room for so little of it.  

If you put a scrubbie in your HOB filter, it will reduce the number of fish your filter can handle.

What would you use for a pond filter? I have to fill one of those soon.

I'm sorry I've took so long to answer.  One commercial media I really like is pvc ribbon.  It's light weight and easy to handle and clean.  I'm currently trying the pebble-type hydroponics/aquaponics media.  I like growstones best.  These are intended for use in the plant beds in aquaponics systems, but they also work well in a filter.  Since these are porous, the water should have mechanical filtration before it goes to this medium.  I also have the clay pebbles, like Hydroton.  These are heavier and not as porous, but the product is sold (at a greatly increased price) as a medium for aquarium filters.  The only problem I have with this medium is that it has to be washed a lot to get rid of red sediment.

I have a lot of trash in my filters.  I collect plastic bottle caps, and other small pieces of plastic trash, mesh bags that produce comes in, soda straws, etc.  I get lingerie bags from the dollar store, and put this stuff in them whenever I build a filter.  Search for DIY filter media and you'll get lots of good ideas.  

I recently realized that I like MAKING plastic ribbon (just a weird fiddling thing that ended up happening..)... I haven't had much use for it in a filter, but maybe I will someday. :teehee

How did you make it?

How did you make it?

I originally made some trying to widen a pipe with sharp scissors, then I took the plunge and used a box cutter. :(

How did you make it?

I originally made some trying to widen a pipe with sharp scissors, then I took the plunge and used a box cutter. :(

I think I would hurt myself trying to do this :rofl

How did you make it?

I think I would hurt myself trying to do this :rofl

Most likely, I don't suggest it unless you have safety gloves. :rofl

Wow, I forgot to mention a seasonal source of filter media -- plastic Easter basket grass.  Put it in a mesh bag and you have lots of surface area available for your biobugs.  I have some that has been in service for 4 years.  Best of all, it can be free after Easter.  Just ask your friends and family to donate any they want to get rid of.  Yes, they will think you are crazy, but don't they think so already?

Wow, I forgot to mention a seasonal source of filter media -- plastic Easter basket grass.  Put it in a mesh bag and you have lots of surface area available for your biobugs.  I have some that has been in service for 4 years.  Best of all, it can be free after Easter.  Just ask your friends and family to donate any they want to get rid of.  Yes, they will think you are crazy, but don't they think so already?

Oh my gosh! I was just wondering yesterday if easter grass would work! I'm going to go get some :D :D :D