Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waterpiggies

Fry transport

I just remembered that I'm going on a short holiday next week so the fry will be almost a week old and will need regular feedings of newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I couldn't bear to let these guys just die or get rid of the eggs so I've decided that I'm still going to hatch them. Is there any way they would survive a 2 hour car journey or would the sloshing water break their spines? Im thinking of possibly taking all my equipment with me to the holiday cottage and raise them there for the week and bring them back in the car again at the end of the week. I'd be so sad to see these little guys go!

Edited by waterpiggies

i am not 100% sure, but i get the feeling that the water need not be changed for fry, nor that feeding needs to happen even directly after they're hatched and in the 3-4 possibly upto 7 days after hatching. i think i recall reading somewhere that they feed off their egg sac? you may be better off leaving them where they are if this is the case.. but, i am far from any sort of breeding expert. lets see what others have to say :)

good luck :)

How long are you going to be gone? An entire week?

How many fry are there, and how many gallons does their current home hold?

Do you have any live plants in your main tank, or decoration (cave, rocks, small stones etc) that has even a very light coating of bio film or algae?

I personally don't know about the transport and the sloshing. It seems a bit risky to me for such fragile little guys. 

Fry don't need baby brine shrimp or any other kind of supplied food to survive. Follow Fang's advice if you aren't so clean that everything is scrubbed. When you do a water change in the main tank, you can even take a razor blade and scrape off algae/biofilm and transfer that to the fry tank. Algae and little critters that eat algae are their natural food.

If you can get some duckweed or other small floating plant, a good nice layer of that will provide lots of live food, since many little edibles live on the duckweed plant.

My tank is completely sterile with no algae at all. No biofilm, nothing. I scrubbed down my tank completely when I set up my hatchery. The bags I would use for shipping would be kordon breather bags so there would be no sloshing. The journey is mainly just motorway so no bumps. I am away for a week.

I would strongly recommend getting masses of duckweed and other plants into the tank and leaving the fry at home.  If you feel like an experiment, bring a few with you and leave the rest at home.

I think I'd feel safer leaving them. I didn't feed my fry until they were about 3 days old and all free swimming and didn't change the water until 2 days after they started eating (I mean I don't know if I actually did things right or not but it is what I did lol) But I also put in a couple of algae covered ornaments that they nibbled at, so I think I'd say leave them at home but get some plants they can nibble at like duckweed as others have said, since you have no algae. I'd be worried about moving them too much when they are so young and fragile. I accidentally killed a few young ones during water changes when I started them so travelling with them would freak me out :P

Yikes, that would be an adventure! I've noticed my fry don't do that well with a sudden and/or strong current and they have a rather hard time getting their direction back quickly. I would imagine a car ride may kill them. If I was you, I would turn a light on to the tank that the fry are in, and let it grow some algae. My fry won't be a week old until Saturday but they are eating baby brine shrimp like champs and I have a thin film of algae lining the tub. They've doubled their size every day so far. I also just did my first water change of maybe 20% or so... I have 20 fry right now and my Ranchu decided to give me another batch 2 or 3 days ago. I scooped 20 out of the tank from the most recent batch of eggs and they all have eyes! This is my first time raising fry too... Should be getting interesting for me in the coming weeks! 

Yikes, that would be an adventure! I've noticed my fry don't do that well with a sudden and/or strong current and they have a rather hard time getting their direction back quickly. I would imagine a car ride may kill them. If I was you, I would turn a light on to the tank that the fry are in, and let it grow some algae. My fry won't be a week old until Saturday but they are eating baby brine shrimp like champs and I have a thin film of algae lining the tub. They've doubled their size every day so far. I also just did my first water change of maybe 20% or so... I have 20 fry right now and my Ranchu decided to give me another batch 2 or 3 days ago. I scooped 20 out of the tank from the most recent batch of eggs and they all have eyes! This is my first time raising fry too... Should be getting interesting for me in the coming weeks!

Thanks for the help. These were my original concerns really. I've heard so many horror stories about people breaking their frys' spines with only the slightest current so I have now come to the conclusion that a car journey would not be at all God for these guys and that they are going to stay back at home.

Good luck with your fry! Im learning more every day! I really don't know what I'll be like when it comes to culling but we'll see...

Thanks again,

Charlie