Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Neyko

Do you always soak your GF's food?

I'm curious about this because I've been reading through some of the threads on here, and I've seen some users say they do and others say they don't. I haven't been soaking my food so far (feeding Omega One sinking pellets, small size). Should I be soaking it? The fish doesn't seem floaty, but I've only seen him poop once since I bought him home... it was a normal one though, according to the guide on here.

Also, how much should I be feeding? So far I've only been doing a pinch twice a day. Is that enough?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a bit of a noob at this.

I don't soak my food but then again the pellets I use are small and you should feed your goldfish as much as they can eat in a minute and fed a few times a day at least :)

I don't feed any foods that float. But if I did I would.

I always soak the pellets I feed my Goldfish so that it expands a bit before going into my fish instead of it expanding after they eat it.

Some people here weigh their fish and feed 1% of their weight in food divided into a few different meals a day.

I use mostly floating pellets and I never soak them. If I were going to soak them, I would put them in a spoon, put in a little bit of water, wait until that was absorbed, add a bit more, and continue until they were mushy.

Drop in pellets, one or two at a time until your fish stops gobbling to chew. He has a mouthful. That's enough for a feeding. If your fish is tiny, you can repeat this several times a day. For a mature fish, once is enough, two times is better.

I don't soak the Hikari Lionhead because it sinks immediately.  I do soak the NLS in a cup of tank water for a few seconds because it floats before it sinks.

I feed Hikari Lionhead pellets and they're sinking so I don't soak them. Never had any problems. 

My goldies get fed four times a day, small meals. Morning, early afternoon, late afternoon, and night. :)

I used to not soak my pellets, but now I do. I noticed my fish liked it better when it wasn't soaked, but they've gotten used to soaked pellets. I don't really notice a difference soaking them but it gives me more peace of mind so I soak them.

I don't soak. 

Then again, I feed mainly gel food right now. This allows for better digestion since the food is already wet!

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I will avoid soaking unless he starts to have issues with constipation or floatiness. It seems he stops to chew his food after I give him about 8-10 pellets. Does that seem right, or is it too much/too little?

I think he is pretty young. His body is around 1 and 1/2 inches (just a guess) if you don't count his tail.

Edited by Neyko

I use high quality sinking pellets. Throw in a whole bunch at once. Don't soak them. Some of my fish do get floaty.

Sort of, but only when I have the surface skimmer on. I put it into a 2 tbsp cup with water, stir it around, and it instantly sinks. I just don't want it getting sucked up and 1mm pellets tend to spread out. :)

the only time i would soak the food is if it's a new brand. i would soak it to find out how much it expands. this will give me a good idea as to how much 'dry' food to drop into the tank for each feed. that said, after i determine this, i throw out the pre-soaked food and feed the dry foods. it's so easy to overfeed when you don't know what that food expands to when it's in the fish's belly.

I always have some defrosted gel food in a cup in the frig so it's soft.  I have a little cup on top of my tank that I scoop up some water & drop the pellets in to soak for a little while. 

Nope, I don't soak the paradigm herbivore because it softens up very quickly and isn't expand much, and I feed repashy super green, which obviously doesn't need soaking because it is gel.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Just out of interest, this is Hikari Lionhead dry -

16724246400_7edeb4eb74_b.jpg

and 5 minutes later after soaking it's doubled itself in size -

16724247950_f5ec42423f_b.jpg

I soak all my food and then throw out anything that floats because I have sneaky floaty-brand food that likes to parade around wearing the "I SINK 4 GOLDFISH" t-shirt which is just a lie!  :lol:

Sometimes I give the floaty stuff to my koi, who snarfs it up with gratitude.