Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Calling the fry experts: Water depth

I have 2 month old butterfly telescope fry. Some are developing well, others I just had to see what they will be. :D

Anyway, I'm struggling at what depth their water should be kept. Sometimes I read 12-18" but that had to be for much bigger fish. Something I read said 1" water for every centimeter of fish. That's just too little, even if I include the tail length. I'm just lost. I moved the bigger ones into a 20L and filled it up a touch higher than what they had (about five inches), and it seems like soooo much for the smaller ones in there. :idont

Like I said, I'm kind of lost here. I want them to have as much water as they can, but I would also like to give them the best chance to grow those tails out nicely..... and I will admit, changing anything is hard for me with these little things.. i do recall waiting months to fill up the tank that my first two grew in. :rolleyes:

This is my biggest one - two are just a touch smaller (sorry these pictures are so huge)

20150320_103640.jpg

20150320_103529_1.jpg

and this about is the size of the other three

20150320_103558.jpg

If you have any advice for me, with the water depth or otherwise, I would really appreciate it! :D

For growing out the tails, keep the water as shallow as you can tolerate them having. At least this is what I have read.

In the end, though, the only concrete advice I can give is to not let the water get too deep too fast. Raise it by an inch every few days if possible, so that their SBs have time to acclimate.

oh I go slow :rofl

I don't mind keeping the water low, but not if it's at their expense. Of course the more water they have, the healthier they will be (unless I do extra water changes every day). I'm just not sure where I feel comfortable, though I suppose I could lower the water and watch it for a day, and see how gross it gets. looking for the happy medium i guess :idont

I'd just fill the little container but that's me. :donthit:

More water is better in my logic. Mira does great in the 75 and she could probably still fit in a tablespoon.. :peeka

I'm not trying to raise show fish so she's growing great as is

I never really thought about it.  As soon as my fry were big enough to not get eaten, I threw their :booty: :booty:  into the tank! :rofl3

:rofl I hear ya, but that ain't happening yet.

For very young fry, 4 inches maximum. They can tolerate more depth with age, but bear in mind that breeders of quality fancies typically grow them out in no more than 8-12 inches of water.

For very young fry, 4 inches maximum. They can tolerate more depth with age, but bear in mind that breeders of quality fancies typically grow them out in no more than 8-12 inches of water.

Thanks Sharon. :)

So should i still consider these as belonging in 4 inches?

No. These are capable of handling more depth. Ideally, they should be in 6-8 inches of water, but that can be hard to do in an aquarium.

Excellent. I will stop worrying, and get the height up. Gradually. Very, very gradually. :whistle

:teehee thanks again!

Beautiful tails on those guys! Much like Chelsea said, I've read that butterflys should be raised in shallow water for the tail to develop. If that's not an option with the setup you have, I'd say they are plenty old to go in a full depth tank.

Beautiful tails on those guys! Much like Chelsea said, I've read that butterflys should be raised in shallow water for the tail to develop. If that's not an option with the setup you have, I'd say they are plenty old to go in a full depth tank.

Hi, thanks for your response!

I could have kept them in two inches if i desired, but that just didn't seem right. :rofl I've got the bigger ones in probably 6-7 inches now, and my smaller ones at 4-5. I tend to make my changes verrryyy slowly. :P but everyone seems to be doing alright. :)