Kokos Goldfish Forum
FishyMandy

My Golden Adventure

A bit more sad updates... Something went wrong in my small pond. Not sure what.

Found Muddle, my black moor nymph injured, he is acting normal but his eyes don't look good.
Fanta, my red and white Oranda was having trouble swimming and getting caught on creases in the pond liner, I found her dead the next day.
Opal, my gorgeous calico fantail was also having trouble swimming,  he is inside in QT now but it doesn't look good for him. He lays on his side on the bottom of the tank and can't seem to move off of the bottom. I am probably going to euthanize him :( 

I did a big WC and cleanout of the pond and checked everyone else over, they all seem ok. Though this morning there is one fish I cannot find. I thought the pond was pretty safe in a covered part of the yard where it can't be seen from above, but thinking I will need to reevaluate my predator protection.

Well, Opal saved me making the decision to euthanize. Just found him passed away

image.png.d4c40796ea54412f318a9e3bba2ddb06.png
Fanta

image.png.647ad737b37ba40a5a29032e876ecc84.pngOpal

RIP

Sorry for your losses Mandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry :(
:hug:

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Emilee and Daniel :hug

So far Muddle seems to be ok, though he seems to have lost whatever vision he had. He doesn't react when I'm near the tank and doesn't react when food falls right in front of him. Bue he is pretty active. Will see what happens I guess

Oh man I wonder what happened hun. Im sorry to hear this. :(

What kind of predators do you have? 

4 hours ago, koko said:

Oh man I wonder what happened hun. Im sorry to hear this. :(

What kind of predators do you have? 

I really don't know :C I think mostly birds. I didn't think they would be able to get to the pond since its undercover in the carport and can't be seen from above, but I think something must be getting in there

I still haven't found the missing fish, Lyra, so I think he is gone too :c

Do you get opossum or raccoons?

No Raccoons here, we have possums, but they are Australian Brushtail Possums and eat plants and sometimes insects or bird eggs. 

Almost had another disaster...this time was completely my fault. I debated even writing this because of how bad I feel about it, but (so far) everyone is doing ok so...

A Warning to never become complacent in your waterchange routine, I did today, and it almost cost the lives of 5 goldfish and my BN Pleco

Today I did my waterchange on my 150g as usual, I use the mixer tap in my kitchen to fill so I can adjust it to the right temperature. That went all fine. I then moved on to waterchange my 80g. When I started refilling, I put the hose on the tap and turned it on, made sure to add Safe and then sat down to relax while it filled, as I usually do. I glanced up every so often to check the water level, then, once the tank was half way full, I heard a strange noise, I looked up to see Papi, my orange butterfly tele, drifting to the surface from the bottom of the tank and then just float...I ran over to the tank and as soon as I neared it I could see, well feel, the problem. The water was way too warm. Papi wasn't the only one in trouble, EVERYONE was floating, unconcious.  See when I went to start filling the tank, I didn't check the temperature as I usually do, I just assumed, its on the same setting i had it on when filling the 150g, tanks are the same temp, it will be fine. Because of skipping the one simple step of checking the temperature coming out the tape before filling the tank I had 6 unresponsive fish.

Now I don't know if I dealt with this in the right way, I just did what my panicked brain was telling me to do at the time

I grabbed a bucket, filled it up with cool water that was closer to the temp they usually reside in, then I pulled everyone out the tank and put them in the bucket. I put in an airstone and kept moving them around. I honestly though they were dead at this stage, they weren't moving or responding to me at all and I could see no gill movement. Gradually they woke up and become responsive and started moving around. A few hours later and they are back in their (much cooler) tank and seem to be back to their normal selves. 

• Like 1

Oh no, I almost did the same thing yesterday. TD asked me did you check the temperature, when I felt the water it was warmer than normal cause it's been about 95-100f. I'm so glad you caught your mistake. Also proud of you posting it. It just shows everyone that even seasoned goldfish owners can oops too once in a while. Plus it tells others to always check your temperature of the water to your tank water.👍

That’s scary, especially with how long you’ve had your fish! I can’t imagine what a loss that would be! I’m so glad you caught it in time.

It was terrifying.  The whole time I was trying to get them to come around I was crying that I killed my fish. 

It was terrifying.  The whole time I was trying to get them to come around I was crying that I killed my fish. 
How are they doing now

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, koko said:

How are they doing now

They are completely back to their normal selves now!

• Like 1

They are completely back to their normal selves now!
That is awesome news.

Well, thought I had gotten over all the bumps and things were going smooth again, not so much. Seaking, my calico ryukin had been floaty for quite some time, thought it was just a swim bladder thing, but today I noticed he is pineconing. Argh I hate dropsy

Just thought I should clarify Seaking wasn't from the tank that had the temperature incident.

9 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Well, thought I had gotten over all the bumps and things were going smooth again, not so much. Seaking, my calico ryukin had been floaty for quite some time, thought it was just a swim bladder thing, but today I noticed he is pineconing. Argh I hate dropsy

Where does he live? Is there any hollow things in his tank/pond?

He lives in my 160g tank. No hollow things. He has gone down hill very fast though

He's also a fish that I got from a store here I haven't had great experiences, they have really nice fish, and really nice setups, but of the 5 fish I've bought from there he is one of two that have survived, and All of them have had problems. My friend @Ree has bought 12(?) fish from there and all of them ended up with severe health problems and passed away, and another one of my friend has bought 3 fish from there which also ended up dying shortly after. 

That said I've had Seaking a few years now and he has always been the healthiest of the fish I got from this store, but has had problems before as well. 

I'm probably going to end up euthanizing him unfortunately :( He has gotten worse since I moved him to the Quarantine tank and I often think he has already passed on his own. He went downhill very fast

Sorry to hear that Mandy! Hopefully your tanks will be less eventful after this. RIP Seaking.

Thanks Emilee, he was one of my favourites. I think apart from the dropsy his swim bladder had gone, he spent the whole time I had him in QT just floating upside down, unable to right himself or to get to the bottom of the tank. I euthanized him when I got home from work today. 

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

So I thought my itsy bitsy shubunkin, Lyra, was gone. I hadn't seem him for two weeks. I'd moved everything around in the pond and looked and looked, and never saw him and never saw him at feeding time. i had accepted that something got in there and got him.

Today, I went out to the pond, and there he was, swimming around like nothing ever happened! Where he had been hiding for the past two weeks I have no idea