Kokos Goldfish Forum
FishyMandy

My Golden Adventure

Thanks Tiki :heart

So today I found my beautiful Polka dead. He wasn't showing any signs of illness. Just gone :(

It was WC day anyway so I decided to do a 100% WC instead of my usual 80-90%

While the guys were out of the tank I got weights on them. My scales don't like holding enough water to cover Spice though. and don't like been splashed so they errored out a few times so I don't know how accurate these weights are. But here we go anyway

Spice  - 300g (Was apparently 307g this time last year, but he DID error out my scales today so..)
Opal - 20g (was 12g this time last year)
Jupiter - 34g (was 32g in Jan)
Topaz - 28g (Was 16 this time last year)

Tiger - 122g (The last weight I can find for him is all the way back in Jan 2013 :o I KNOW I've weighed him since then but can't find my record anywhere. Anyway back then he weighed 71g)
Neptune  - 32g (was 25g in December)

Luka has been in QT for a little while now, I got a weight on him the other day as well

Luka - 111g (was 108g this time last year)

I feel like Spice weighs more than my scales tell me. Of course that could just be me because he is the biggest fish I've ever seen. I might have to see one of those fish that weighs 500g+ In person to get an accurate size in my head :rofl

Sorry for your loss. RIP Polka.

So sorry you lost your fry and Polka! I hope are feeling better soon... so funny, though, about Spice needing some kind of industrial fish scale!

Long live Spice! Sorry about your losses. sadhug.gif

Wow I haven't updated this in a while!

And Pinkie wasn't my last new fish either :hide:

In October I got Seaking and Goldeen 

fhWd552.jpg

iwCUe8n.jpg

In November I got Roo

LG0Si7q.jpg

And At the beginning of this month I got Picasso and Splasher

BmsaSdC.jpg

ORzLqGf.jpg

So another 5 newbies :o 

Seaking and Goldeen are in my main tank, taking me up to 8 fish in 160 gallons

Roo is in my Bedroom Tank, taking me to 5 fish in 80 gallons

and Picasso and Splasher are for the pond, taking me to 19 fish in 450gallons.

Picasso and Splasher were meant to make the pond up to 20 fish, but unfortuntely Watson has disappeared. I'm upgrading my predator protection now

Gorgeous Mandy!!! You have the BEST picture's!!!!

Thank you Dawn!

I think Splasher is my new favorite. Love all your acquisitions! I wish i had your gallonage.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Wow! All those new calicos & shubunkins are gorgeous! You certainly have some neat fish :)

Thanks! I suppose I should add my other two newbies to this thread (I swear I haven't gone longer than a week without having a QT set up this year!)

Here is Wilbur

1E3JfyL.jpg

He is at least 10 years old, bought from someone who was shutting down their pond.

And this is Watson

E2FiEho.jpg

At least 7 years old, again bought from the same person who was shutting down pond

So I thought I'd do another year in Review type thing for 2016...

January

I got my Jupiter from a friends overstocked and under filtered tank, rescued him from been flushed

here is his latest photo

ZhpjDwV.jpg

I also got another 5 fish

Papi, Stumpy, Kolo, Raven and Pascal

2Uitmpl.jpg

3vRCF5v.jpg

4091C6u.jpg

VmloMog.jpg

EeNX7Gx.jpg

February

The tiny Calico Tele that I got in December of 2016 passed away :(

Kolo and Stumpy Spawned! I had hundreds of eggs and fry

My bedroom tank exploded! That was the disaster of the year. Had to have all my carpet ripped up and replaced and Stumpy suffered from been thrown across the room in the explosion :(

March/April

Had fish in QT a few times as Buddy's empty eye socket became infected and Tiny had fin issues again

Had a lot of problems with the fry from Kolo and Stumpy, and they died off in large numbers

May

I made the agonising decision to euthanize Stumpy. She had been getting progressively worse since the tank explosion and couldn't right herself anymore.

Continued having fry problems, a lot of them developed swim bladder problems which I now think was because I raised the water depth too quickly

I also welcomed two new fish, Polka and Hamster

xtobbug.jpg

tdvquwS.jpg

June

June was Free of Major events, Honey had to come inside from the pond for a short time as she was having some issues but recovered well

July

I welcomed Angel and Arty to my clan

oXT9O4q.jpg

nlJgD74.jpg

August

I got a calico butterfly! I was super excited as I'd been wanting one for so long. Jasmine was welcomed home

kOeCUFi.jpg

I also finally ordered my new tank for my bedroom

It wasn't all great though, it was when I officially lost the last fry from Stumpy and Kolo. I was really hoping to be able to keep at least a couple, especially after losing Stumpy, but it wasn't to be.

September

I got my new bedroom tank! Its 5x1.5x1.5, so 80gallons

Pinkie also came home this month!

URZmOHJ.jpg

October

October was a hard month..

In the beginning of the month, I found my Polka dead, there was no warning, no sickness no symptoms. His body looked perfect. He was just gone.

A week later, my 8.5 year old comet, Tiger, started pineconing. Despite my best efforts he didn't respond to treatment and I ended up euthanizing him. It was the hardest euthanasia I'd ever done. It still hurts to see my tank without him in it

But it wasn't all bad. I also welcomed Seaking and Goldeen

X0CVxni.jpg

tFNmhQE.jpg

November

I welcomed home Roo

LG0Si7q.jpg

I also confirmed that Watson has disappeared from the pond. Gone without a trace. Have upgraded my predator protection

December

I welcomed more new fish...

First, Picasso and Splasher

BmsaSdC.jpg

Then WatsonII and Wilbur

E2FiEho.jpg

1E3JfyL.jpg

In a not so great start to the new year, I lost Watson. :(

I loved reading your year in review!

I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm very sorry to hear about Watson.

Thank you Mothercrow :heart 

Sorry to hear about Watson! He was very pretty.

Thanks QandD

Unfortunately in more bad news I just found Wilbur, the shubie I got at the same time as Watson floating dead in the pond :(:cry 

Sorry to hear about Watson and Wilbur. It's been a tough month, huh?

It sure has.

I can't stop blaming myself 

Oh, Mandy. You can't take the blame for this! Their owner was getting rid of them; they had to go to a new home. Going with you gave them the best chance of surviving the move. The very fact of their age meant moving and reacclimation, and a less informed person wouldnt have even tried. It was probably beyond their capabilities at their old age to readjust. So don't feel too bad. I am positive that you did every possible thing to keep them alive.

Sending hugs your way.

Thanks Emilee. 

There are just so many " what ifs" and "why didnt i"s running through my head.

I feel absolutely horrible that they lived so long and a month after I get them they are both dead 

I can't think of a cause for losing Watson and Wilber other than the possibility that your fish have immunity to and carry some bug that these guys had never met up with before.  Usually one tries to handle that possibility by adding pond water a little at a time to the QT during the last couple of weeks.  Considering how fast you lost them in the pond, I suspect that if you had done that you would have lost them in the QT.  Immune systems age. 

You can't beat yourself up when you lose fish to  SGDS (sudden goldfish death syndrome).  It happens.

Thanks Sharon. I didn't even think of adding pond water to their QT. I'll definitely do that next time, and I'm definitely not going to skimp on QT again since I'm now paranoid I've exposed all my healthy fish to something.

Watson did show signs of illness, that came on quite quickly before he passed.He had fungus on him, red around his fin 'joints' and was extremely lethargic.

Wilbur was looking great, but when I found him his belly was super soft and squishy, softest belly I've ever felt.

I'm trying not to beat myself up, I just keep felling so terrible and thinking about things I should have done that I didn't

9 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Thanks Sharon. I didn't even think of adding pond water to their QT. I'll definitely do that next time, and I'm definitely not going to skimp on QT again since I'm now paranoid I've exposed all my healthy fish to something.

Watson did show signs of illness, that came on quite quickly before he passed.He had fungus on him, red around his fin 'joints' and was extremely lethargic.

Wilbur was looking great, but when I found him his belly was super soft and squishy, softest belly I've ever felt.

I'm trying not to beat myself up, I just keep felling so terrible and thinking about things I should have done that I didn't

Well hun thats how we learn, please dont beat your self up hun :)

If you are concerned hun I would do a Prazi round :)